Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Crash to black screen

As of a few days ago my computer has been crashing to a blank black screen.  Sometimes it does it when the sim is running, sometimes it's just sitting here running nothing.  The only thing to do is restart it.  I do a *mild" overclock to 4.0.  Sometimes I get a dump file after restarting, sometimes I don't.  (The computer says there was an unexpected shutdown but that is probably me resetting the system.)  Here's my rig:

• Processor: Intel Core i7 4770K Quad Core Unlocked
  • Processor Cores:4 (hyperthreading on)
  • Processor Speed: 4.0 Ghz
  • RAM:Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 DRAM 2400MHz C11
  • Video Board Manufacturer:EVGA Nvidea
  • Video Board Model: GTX 770
  • Video Memory:4 Gig
  • Mother Board:Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H Motherboard, ATX, So. 1150 with Noctua NH-D14 Cooler
  • Hard Drives:2 Samsung 840 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III
So, very little to go on as of yet.  I've downloaded bluescreenview and I do see signs it could have to do with the video card (I've been running nvidia driver 344.48 since it came out some months ago without a problem...haven't updated to 347.09 though I'm planning to try that after my next backup is complete just to see if it helps).

My questions are:

• Have you seen this and what did you do to resolve it.  Did you end up having to replace hardware?
  • Any troubleshooting steps that helped?
  • Anything in the above list that strikes you as a possible cause?

Thanks!

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Anything in the above list that strikes you as a possible cause?

Hi Gregg,

I do not see anything.  Did you run AppCrashView (see page 2, AVSIM CTD Guide)?  AppCrashView interprets Windows Error Reporting (WER) and provides a bit more information about the crash.  The faulting module is the most important clue but it does not necessarily indicate the exact cause.  A bad voltage setting in your CPU, even though you ran several stress tests, can cause crashes to blank screens.  The other thing you want to look at is the Event Viewer (also on page 2 of the AVSIM CTD Guide).  All of the errors shown will provide clues for you to investigate.  Any critical errors should be fixed immediately.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I did run AppCrashView and looked in the event log.  AppCrashView was pretty unaware of anything though it did have one entry for one BSOD crash that was from the graphics card.  The only odd clue that I have is that, when it happens, I have to completely power it down or the video doesn't come on.  If I RDP into the machine, the RDP screen is also black.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Did you check your HDMI cable securely attached to your video card vs to monitor? That was my problem. Tighten enough no more black screen.

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Did you check your HDMI cable securely attached to your video card vs to monitor? That was my problem. Tighten enough no more black screen.

Interesting.  I have two monitors connected...one HDMI...the other DVI.  They both go black.  I'll check them though.

Gregg Seipp

I tried the latest driver but had a crash with automatic recovery after about 10 mins.  Going to try reverting back to 344.48.  Been monitoring my CPU and GPU temps and they look fine.

Gregg Seipp

I'm monitoring voltages in E-LEET and seeing +12V of 3.26V.  From reading over at the EVGA forums that should be at least above 11.4.  Anybody know anything about that?  Could this be a power supply issue?

Gregg Seipp

I suggest check your PC Sleep Mode settings,also

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Well, I took it to a computer store and had them check the power supply.  They hooked it up to a thingy and said it looked good.  Tough to solve.  The guy did say that they'd had a bit of a spat of EVGA 7xx cards coming in lately.  I'm going to start moving stuff over to a new PC tomorrow.  Perhaps I'll get to the bottom of it.

Gregg Seipp

The guy did say that they'd had a bit of a spat of EVGA 7xx cards coming in lately.

When you get a BSOD, it is normally a problem with a piece of hardware.  You state your video card.  The error could have come from something else (like you thought it was the power supply).  Have you run a driver updater program?  These are drivers that are not updated through Windows Update and you usually have to go out and look for them.  Your sys bus, USB ports, HDD controllers, the CPU, and other thingies on your Motherboard.  These are updated constantly by manufacturers as soon as they discover a bug.  The driver updater program is freeware to download and run but, if it finds any outdated drivers, it will offer to download and install them for an annual fee (less than $30).  I just tried Driver Booster from IObit.  It is completely free but has other options but scanning your system for outdated drivers and then downloading and installing the latest drivers is free.  I use another program called Driver Genius and it said my system was up-to-date but Driver Booster found 4 new drivers and installed them for me.  They create a restore point first if you wish.  Worth a try.

The other thing you need to do is go into your Gigabyte MB BIOS and return it to the Optimized Defaults.  There could be one or more settings in the overclock that is creating an issue.  I have the ASUS z87 board and it has a method where I go to a BIOS page, hit F12 and it takes a picture of my settings and places it on my thumbnail memory thingy.  That way I can return to those settings if going back to Optimized Defaults does not work.  You have almost the exact system as mine but I have the ASUS board and the Gigabyte GTX780.  I even use the same cooler you have.  You have a pretty new system and it shouldn't be causing you problems like you are reporting.  I have found that I will get a BSOD if I mess with any of the voltages on the board.  ASUS has a method for one to overclock up to 4.8GHz by just changing a few of the settings on the first page.  Some of the systems can overclock to 4.8GHz but there are many bugs in some 4770K's that do not allow some to overclock above 4.2GHz.  That's the category I'm in.  I tried 4.3GHz and it would run great for a while then crash.  Usually with the ntdll.dll as the fault or a bugcheck code of 0124 which indicates one of the voltages was screwed up.  I ran all kinds of stress tests too and no problems.  I have the exact same system as NickN (I bought my system first) and I used his "Bible" to overclock my system.  No joy.  He was successful and I was not.  I'm still very happy with a 4.2GHz overclock.

So, some suggestions.

Happy New Year!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Well, I installed a new PNY GTX970 this morning and the crashes seem to have stopped.  I don't *yet* know for certain that the video card was the cause (does the 970 require less power or is it, perhaps, more tolerant?) but that's where things stand this morning.  I'd get into the BIOS on it if the BIOS was less painful to deal with...the Gigabyte BIOS on this machine has never functioned well. 

I'm doing a system backup for the next couple of hours and and building a new machine out...also a Gigabyte... and I hope the BIOS functions better.  I'll futz with the older machine afterward. 

Gregg Seipp

It's always fun to improve your surroundings with a new system.  I know little or nothing about video cards but recall reading that you need to up your power supply for SLI modes.  I think if you have a power supply issue, you'll constantly see a NVidia module in the drivers constantly crashing.  Have fun with your new system.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

It's always fun to improve your surroundings with a new system. I know little or nothing about video cards but recall reading that you need to up your power supply for SLI modes. I think if you have a power supply issue, you'll constantly see a NVidia module in the drivers constantly crashing. Have fun with your new system.

Best regards,

Thanks.  I don't do SLI.  The new PC has the same size power supply (750W)...but, perhaps, there was something up with the old one.  Still, I'd say the preponderance of evidence is that the video card went bad.  A shame, it was only 9 months old.  Anyway, it's a great opportunity to start with a clean install, with better organization and without many add-ons that didn't pan out or were uninteresting.

Gregg Seipp

I don't do SLI. The new PC has the same size power supply (750W)

I don't either.  I was just showing an example of needing more power.  I have the Corsair 850W and it has served me well for my i7 4770K CPU and GTX 780 video card.  Some 'experts' say getting any wattage above 750 is wasteful but I had the money and wanted to be sure.  I've never heard of a video card going bad but it certainly looks like it was defective.  Hopefully it is still under warranty. 

Starting with a fresh system with a clean install of Windows and all of your applications is always a good idea even though it is a pain to reinstall all of the addons.  I have many addons I did not reinstall after my last system change.  Just too many toys and not enough time to use them even if I did reinstall them.  Good luck with the new system!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM