Sign in to follow this  
Ecosse_821

New pilot, NGX

Hello all.  For years I have considered the NGX to be the granddaddy of them all, in terms of complexity/realism.  I decided to leave it alone and have gradually worked my way up with other add-on aircraft that are a little less intimidating. 

A couple of these others are FMC type jetliners, so, after mastering them, I decided to finally take the plunge!

This product is really nice.  Great docs and tutorials.  I very much appreciate the "everything running and ready to go" state that one can use to learn how to fly it first.  I spent two days doing that, then yesterday decided to tackle a "cold and dark".

I got it figured out in no time.   I am having a blast with this plane, flying it mainly between Chicago, Cleveland, and NYC.  These are pretty short flights, so I can get a lot of approach and landing practice.

Thanks again for putting so much into this plane, it really resulted in a terrific value.  The pride taken in it shows through and through!

David Norman Paul

I got it figured out in no time.   I am having a blast with this plane, flying it mainly between Chicago, Cleveland, and NYC.  These are pretty short flights, so I can get a lot of approach and landing practice.

Good choice of short routes to get used to the plane. Glad you're enjoying it.

Kyle Rodgers

After 2 years I'm also still learning. Greatest airplane for me.

+1.

To the original poster, good luck, you will have a lot of fun trying to master the ngx. When you get bored of just flying, you can start flying with planned and un-planned failures.

Brian Nellis

Brian Nellis

Hi 

Flew this a lot around Europe in the 1-2 years after release. Not touched it for a while as I've been busy with 'heavies'.
Installed a few days before Christmas..... main aim to hear the sounds when the engines start  :lol:

Did a quick test last night around Corfu and will defo be flying some routes this year in her.

Like the short hops myself. Which is why I keep running the 737, and haven't tried the 777 yet.

The big bird seems more catered to the long haul flights, and I just don't have the patience to stay at cruise till the cows fall out of the sky..

And still plenty to learn on the 737.. I've been running it since it came out, and still have plenty

more to learn about it as far as the more obtuse quirks.  So it still keeps me busy.

I'll probably try the 777 one of these days, but think I will still prefer the slightly more manual

systems of the 737. And like I say, it much more suits the length of my usual flights.

To me, Houston to LA is a long flight..  :wacko:   Most are much shorter. 

For me simming means NGX. It's the cats' whisker. Consider getting the FS2CREW button, or voice, if you prefer. It really helps to have a first officer flying with you to help with the work load. You can even make announcements, and call the flight attendant to order drinks and sandwiches. Adds to the fun.

Vic green

The only thing I'm having trouble with is VNAV descent and approach.  I have learned how to put wind predictions in the DES page, so I'm getting down to around 6000 with no problems, but once I turn onto final I cant seem to get my flaps schedule right or something, because it just can't seem to get down to the glideslope.   It is almost like it isn't really trying. 

I've never really been able to get that part right with any of my VNAV capable planes.  I have no trouble with climb and descent, just the last part of the approach and getting the transition from LNAV/VNAV to LOC/APP and figuring out when and how I'm supposed to help it with flaps and gear. 

If anyone wants to try the approach I'm doing, it is a flight from KMDW to KCLE at FL310.

The plan is RWY 22L, then Midway 7 departure then LEWKE.GIJ.CRL.SSUNN.HIMEZ.PUDSE.LACIK.JEDSU.RWY24R

CRL SSUNN and HIMEZ are part of the HIMEZ2 star, and from PUDSE on is the ILS for RWY24R.  I'm supposed to be at 6000 for PUDSE and is from there where I can't seem to get down enough to get the glideslope.

David Norman Paul

You might want to watch my How To Fly A Perfect ILS Approach video. It was made to eliminate those problems!

My signature has my YouTube Channel link.

You might want to watch my How To Fly A Perfect ILS Approach video. It was made to eliminate those problems!

My signature has my YouTube Channel link.

Ralph I appreciate your videos. Do you plan any RNAV app videos?

Ralph, does your video have any information that pertains to my specific issue with having trouble getting the final descent and speed/flaps/gear schedule when changing over from LNAV/VNAV to LOC/APP on the final approach?  

I have flown thousands of ILS approaches.  The key difference here is that I have always flown them where you are stabilized at an altitude below the glideslope and you capture it as you fly into it.  I know how to do that!   The specific issue here is that I don't know the when and how of the flaps/gear when I am coming in from ABOVE the glideslope as one must do under this VNAV regime.

David Norman Paul

The specific issue here is that I don't know the when and how of the flaps/gear when I am coming in from ABOVE the glideslope as one must do under this VNAV regime.

You should never be capturing from above. If you are, then you're not doing it correctly, or your nav data isn't correct. What STAR/approach are you using that is placing you in this state?

Kyle Rodgers

You should never be capturing from above. If you are, then you're not doing it correctly, or your nav data isn't correct. What STAR/approach are you using that is placing you in this state?

Flight is KMDW-KCLE at FL310

The plan is RWY 22L, then Midway 7 departure then LEWKE.GIJ.CRL.SSUNN.HIMEZ.PUDSE.LACIK.JEDSU.RWY24R

CRL SSUNN and HIMEZ are part of the HIMEZ2 star, and from PUDSE on is the ILS for RWY24R.  I'm supposed to be at 6000 for PUDSE and is from there where I can't seem to get down enough to get the glideslope.

The last waypoint before I turn to PUDSE at 190/6000  is HIMEZ, on the HIMEZ 2 STAR.  It says to cross HIMEZ at 250/10000.  Hence coming in from ABOVE the glideslope.   I am right there at PUDSE at 6000, but the the next waypoint is LACIK at 178/5000.  That's when the plane cannot get down to 5000 which it needs to do to not be above the glideslope.  

David Norman Paul

1. I cover how to manage your speed and flaps. You may find that useful.

2. Kyle is correct. ..listen carefully to what he is saying.