Sign in to follow this  
Lmaire

FYI Turbine Duke V2 release

For Rob or Sean,

Im seeing a huge FPS loss in the V2 turbine duke when the mouse cursor is on screen. This didnt happen with the v1 version or the Legacy.

Is there any reason why this is an issue with the V2 version?

Locked at 30 FPS, I can easily maintain this with my settings in FSX, even in Orbx scenery etc.

I can see a drop from 30 down to 22-24 when the mouse is on screen and it makes things very stuttery.

The problem is present even with the 'no GPS' option but appears to be slightly worse with the RXP or F1 GTN options installed.

Mouse cursor slow downs are present on nearly all addons, including the Legacy and other Dukes. It is probably there even on default aircraft but there is so much processor overhead on low res, simpler aircraft it doesn't even register. This subject has been discussed to exhaustion. The higher the complexity the more likely mouse pointers will reduce frame rate. Some argue why is it that some complex addons do not show a significant fps reduction. The answer might be that the reduction is already there, but only seems to show on other addons when the cursor is live.

If any developer knows the secret to overcoming this I would love to know. Without the cursor shown V2 is actually more efficient or at least as good as previous versions on our test systems, despite having much higher resolution graphics, hundreds of lines of extra coding and twice the number of processes going on at the same time. In fact we were extremely surprised how well it runs and if you look at many posts above that is confirmed.

There is a very easy way to alleviate the issue, not just on our products but on everyone else's. Press ALT to get the menu strip at the top and when you've finished with the mouse put the cursor level with the menu strip. The frame rate immediately recovers. 30 to 24 is not a huge fps loss. On my very modest system I'm seeing 55 fps in the VC but I don't flog FSX to death with detail it simply cannot handle. When the cursor is active my fps drops to 45-48 which is still smooth. Sorry there is no magic solution but I can assure you we don't deliberately make it happen!

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

For Rob or Sean,

Im seeing a huge FPS loss in the V2 turbine duke when the mouse cursor is on screen. This didnt happen with the v1 version or the Legacy.

Is there any reason why this is an issue with the V2 version?

Locked at 30 FPS, I can easily maintain this with my settings in FSX, even in Orbx scenery etc.

I can see a drop from 30 down to 22-24 when the mouse is on screen and it makes things very stuttery.

The problem is present even with the 'no GPS' option but appears to be slightly worse with the RXP or F1 GTN options installed.

Glenn,

Do you have the Custom Landing Lights enabled in the model ?

I seen that some people who have the custom lights enabled are seeing a more severe version of the mouse cursor issue.   Worth a try switching to standard lights to see if it helps.

Hi Craig,

That makes perfect sense. The custom 3d lights take a big hit on processing. Thanks for that observation.

Rob

Any news about the P3D version? Maybe next month?

Quite soon now :)

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

EduSCA, on 26 Jan 2015 - 4:26 PM, said:
Any news about the P3D version? Maybe next month?

Quite soon now :)

Nice! Thanks for the quick reply.  :rolleyes:

Rob,

I wasn't suggesting that this was something exclusive to the duke. I have heard of this issue with other aircraft but I have up until now not owned one that exhibits this behavior. The Legacy and Duke V1 don't show this effect and if they do its only maybe 1 FPS loss from my locked 30 value.

Still love the V2 version but I thought I would ask if there was any specific reason for this to happen on the V2 version. Thanks for the answer.

I will try switching the custom lights to default and see how that works out.

Thanks all.

The Legacy and Duke don't show this on your system, but they do on others. But only to a slight degree. As far as I understand this differs between systems and addons. There is little consistency. For example, I get quite a marked difference on the ifly 737 while others apparently don't, 

Rob mentioned using EZCA with the V2 Turbine effects.  I think that they go together really well.  My favorite is the outside spot view.  You can see the momentum changes in the plane.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Regarding fps loss when the mouse is on screen, I read this happens because FSX is constantly calculating the VC clickspots while the cursor is visible. Its logical, but still a pain! However, I also read that Lockheed have fixed this in P3D.

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

This happens to me worse in P3D, specifically when I'm mousing through the menus.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Oh yeah I don't have the Duke or anything in P3D - just saying that the menus kill my perf

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Here is a little art project I am trying out with the Duke

PILOT-PC-2015-jan-28-007468c0.th.jpg PILOT-PC-2015-jan-28-006623b1.th.jpg PILOT-PC-2015-jan-28-005f72ca.th.jpg PILOT-PC-2015-jan-28-004e3955.th.jpg PILOT-PC-2015-jan-28-0036be7d.th.jpg

Well, I removed the GTN 750 from both the duke v2 and the a2a 182, removed both the rxp and the gtn config files from the respective aircraft folders, re selected the rxp gns 430 and fired up fsx again.

Click spot issue has now gone!

Mouse Cursor visible FPS drop now gone!

I also installed new video drivers a couple of days ago but doubt that could be the reason......

Suppose I should now try the gtn 750 again but I'm afraid to get the mouse issue back again