Sign in to follow this  
flying_w

Black screen after deploying DX10 Scenery Fixer

I'm on a new adventure with FSX Steam Edition.   Here DX10 works as well as it ever can "out of the box", however the time came to install the DX10 scenery fixer that had worked very well for me with regular FSX.  All went well during installation, but the first time I started FSX_SE after going through all the options in the fixer I had a black screen where the selected aircraft should be in the free flight dialogue.  If I went on to fly, I'd get a mostly black screen with some very dark clouds.  If I uninstall the libraries, normal service (in FSX-SE) is restored.

Is there something I've overlooked somewhere?

Simon

Screen Shot 01-01-15 at 07.53 AM.PNG

Dx10sf works with the steam edition provided the steam edition has been installed onto a clean pc with no previous dvd fsx installation.

It presently does not work in a side by side installation. In this scenario the steam edition uses different locations e.g for the shader cache. If you have managed to install the libraries, then you could try deleting the fsx dx10 se shader cache under appdata\local\microsoft\fsx-se, which will probably fix the black screen but you will need to do this every time you make a change in dx10controller.

Thank you.  I had renamed my old FSX folders away, and created junctions from the old FSX names to the new FSX-SE names.  That convinces most add-ons they are working with FSX rather than something else, but I hadn't appreciated the local folder until now.  FWIW I did the same in the local folder and linked from FSX to FSX-SE, and DX10Fixer is happy now.

Simon

Here DX10 works as well as it ever can "out of the box"

Hi flying_w !

I also installed FSX SE standalone, but I am running it still in DX9. From the quote above taken from your OP can I infer that when simply "ticking" the DX10 compatibility mode in FSX SE this works "out of the box" without the probelms known to the Legacy version of FSX ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I also installed FSX SE standalone, but I am running it still in DX9. From the quote above taken from your OP can I infer that when simply "ticking" the DX10 compatibility mode in FSX SE this works "out of the box" without the problems known to the Legacy version of FSX ?

Hi, sorry I didn't mean to imply DX10 in FSX-SE is any better than it is in FSX without mods being applied such as the DX10Fixer;  FSX-SE has all the problems FSX does in DX10.  However overall I find it a slightly better simulator so I have switched to it permanently.  DX10 is great for day time flying, but I find the performance worse at night so I return to DX9 for that.

Simon