Sign in to follow this  
kolaf

Starting on a 737 with MCP and EFIS, maybe

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if I should increase the immersion factor for my 737 simming experience and considering purchasing a 737 MCP and possibly also an EFIS panel. I'm thinking that these two other ones I would get the most joy out of having in real hardware. I already have a touchscreen which I placed the FMC on, so there is no rush to get a hardware FMC.

My very long-term plan is perhaps to slowly build things out to a full cockpit, but there is no rush. It is therefore of some importance that the hardware I purchase can work well in a full set up.

I've looked around a bit and see that there are a number of suppliers of these two panels, and am having trouble deciding which I should choose.

I use P3D v2.4 and the iFLY 737 NG, but I also fly some GA and it would be nice if I could use the MCP panel to control the autopilot (even though this is entirely unrealistic, I know).

It is therefore critical that the hard work and interface with p3d and ifly, and it is a bonus if it relies on software we can configure heavily ourselves, e.g. FSUIPC., Instead of proprietary software. Still, it should preferably work out of the box without too much configuration fiddling.

Price is of course an issue, but I'm not expecting it to be cheap, either :-).

I really hope you guys have some good suggestions.

Thanks, and happy New Year.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

From what I can see it should be possible to get it working worth the iFly without much hassle.

The next question, is the fun worth 460 euros?

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

From what I can see it should be possible to get it working worth the iFly without much hassle.

The next question, is the fun worth 460 euros?

It's the cheapest to-scale you are going to find and I enjoy mine. I scooped a V2 and 2 Efis when everyone was shifting to V3s.

It's the cheapest to-scale you are going to find and I enjoy mine. I scooped a V2 and 2 Efis when everyone was shifting to V3s.

@ohsirus: I just read your build thread with great interest. It fired off a bunch of questions that hopefully you or someone else could answer.

I assume you use something like proSim for the MIP displays, or do you something else? In which case, is it sufficient just to get the display module, or do you have to get the entire pack?

I'm very impressed by your diligence and ability to build your entire system without the ability to use it and play with it in the process. I'm definitely not like that, so I'm thinking of a plan looking something like this:

1. Get the MCP and EFIS combination and have a blast.
2. Use my existing saitek yoke, pedals, and two throttle quadrants to get the basic functionality running. I guess that using the six levers and 12 buttons should be sufficient to replicate most of the functionality of the 737 throttle quad. I have a home-made panel with several switches for lights and stuff based on an Arduino Mega which I have interfaced through FSUIPC. This can be reworked to cover many of the small elements required for the MIP as I see the need for them.
3. Use my existing 14 inch touchscreen for CDU and maybe lower centre screen (but perhaps it is not big enough for both?)
4. buy some cheap screens off of eBay together with a cheap computer to run all the instrument displays and build this into a simple wooden rack. Power these using something like prosim.
5. Perhaps buy a hardware CDU
6. Expand with a front overhead panel (, and maybe an aft panel)
7. At some point add the rest as time, interest, and money allows.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? Is there anything I have forgotten, or should the order of some of the points perhaps be altered?

One of the big selling points of this approach is to gradually grow into the hobby in terms of time and money spent, allowing me to tune the direction and investments according to my interests. Makes sense? Is there perhaps a better place to post questions like these?

Thanks.

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

@ohsirus: I just read your build thread with great interest. It fired off a bunch of questions that hopefully you or someone else could answer.

Thanks!

I assume you use something like proSim for the MIP displays, or do you something else? In which case, is it sufficient just to get the display module, or do you have to get the entire pack?

I use  Ifly's 737 cockpit suite. It was my 737 of choice and when they offered the Cockpit version I chose it over Prosim737. I have Prosim737, but I'm just so familiar with ifly it was an easier migration hardware & software. Prosim737 is very powerful and configurable and the dev is constantly improving and will even squeeze in requests. Their customers are usually the elite of cockpit builders, I think Norweigan737 project (youtube him) runs it. They have a full demo you can run. If you get the displays that's all you get, no MCP or CDU support. The Overhead is free, but all the rest are pay.

If it were me again starting over, I would do like Pete Cos (Flightdeck  Sys CO) told me and just get a turn-key simpit (like Jetmax or I see OpenCockpits offers one now). there is no way I would go the route I did again. When I started there were a number of blogs I followed with people doing the same, but now  most all have either stopped or sold their efforts. I honestly just miss my simple table and three monitiors with my Goflight MCP/EFIS. Simple to fly and setup and doesn't require a ballet to setup the entire system. 

My best advice, save up your money, get a turn-key system, you'll be up and flying faster and TRUST ME you will get out your system and look to sell-off your gear and it will be alot easier to sell as most homebuilt sims aren't designed to be broken down and put back together.