Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

2014 Demographic Results Released

If have just noticed something about the scale of some graphs.

for example on the graph titled "Most of us own multiple simulations..."  the titles on the left axis are as shown - put if the scale were linear the titles  (in parentheses) should be .

2k   (1700)
1k   (1360)
1k   (1020)
640   (640)
340   (340)
0       (0)

Thanks for posting the results! Hadn't expected FSX to have quite the lead it does. Maybe Dovetail will get something out of FSX-SE then, after all.  I wish them success.

And to all, ahappy New Year!

Sounds like I need to produce an In-sim diet app with exercise routines.

Is there a 2013 demo survey results?  I would be more interested in the relative changes from year to year as that would indicate growth/decline.

Cheers, Rob.

Sounds like I need to produce an In-sim diet app with exercise routines.

Is there a 2013 demo survey results?  I would be more interested in the relative changes from year to year as that would indicate growth/decline.

Cheers, Rob.

Yes, go to the AVSIM Publications.

Thanks Tom ... guilty of not searching.

Cheers, Rob.

EDIT: P3D up from 14% in 2013 to 33% in 2014 ... FSX declined from 78% to 72% ... interesting indeed.

Yes, go to the AVSIM Publications.

Thanks! Looking at the raw data, it looks like XP10 did pick up more then the graph shows here. 17% of it's respondents use it as their primary sim vs 9% last year.  Tom if you look at the bar graph for FSX, it also gives the appearance about 1900 respondents answered they use FSX the most, when the data shows 1662.actually did. In fact 2013's count even looks like less then the 2014 graph, when 1916 responded the same way. (The graph for FSX actually looks closer to this year's results.)  What I find really interesting is that  714 members who took this survey skipped this the most pertinent question in the survey, and that's up from 482 in 2013? Does that mean they don't sim at all?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430855-results-of-the-2013-avsim-community-demographics-survey/

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Another way to look at the numbers is to show the number of users defined by  Number Respondents * "5 - Most time" %.

Year  2013    2014
FSX users   1915    1649
P3D users    130     340

As I said, FSX still seem to be the favourite with P3D still having some way to catch up.

Thanks! Looking at the raw data, it looks like XP10 did pick up more then the graph shows here. 17% of it's respondents use it as their primary sim vs 9% last year.  Tom if you look at the bar graph for FSX, it also gives the appearance about 1900 respondents answered they use FSX the most, when the data shows 1662.actually did. In fact 2013's count even looks like less then the 2014 graph, when 1916 responded the same way. (The graph for FSX actually looks closer to this year's results.)  What I find really interesting is that  714 members who took this survey skipped this the most pertinent question in the survey, and that's up from 482 in 2013? Does that mean they don't sim at all?

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/430855-results-of-the-2013-avsim-community-demographics-survey/

I see the graphs as "representative" as opposed to "absolute" due to scaling and size limitations. The absolute data that can only be perceived as accurate is that of the actual numbers themselves found in the original data. Graph are "quick glance" resources only. As for those that do not answer the questions; I have no clue. Why take the survey if you are not going to answer the question? In the 2015 version, we are going to change things around a bit so that option is not available in most questions. If you don't answer the question, you do not progress in the survey.

FSX will be dominant for a longtime, and XPX and P3D may gain users, but those sims will never surpass fsx user base.

FSX will be dominant for a longtime, and XPX and P3D may gain users, but those sims will never surpass fsx user base.

Not if you believe Tom's numbers.  That's like saying FS9 will never get surpassed (actually come to think of it, that's exactly what people were saying back in the day).  Time changes, people change, platforms change.

As I said, FSX still seem to be the favourite with P3D still having some way to catch up.

Of course you would Gerry ... but no matter how you look at this, FSX declined and P3D doubled in just one year (looking at percent values as they more relevant).  P3D grew faster than I thought it would given the rate at which people moved from FS9 to FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

Of course you would Gerry ...

Which simple factual words FSX still seem to be the favourite with P3D still having some way to catch up don't you seem to understand - or in your enthusiasm for P3D you believe it has atready caught with FSX?

Hi everybody,

Using raw data, I find different numbers. The percentage shown in the raw data are a bit odd : it says that 72% of people that are using FSX, use it at their main simulator, and that 33% of people using P3D use it as their main sim. 

That doesn't mean that 72% of simmers use FSX as their main sim.

2557 people have replied to this question. And 1662 of them use FSX as their main simulator. That means about 65% of simmers use mainly FSX. 

And 347 use P3D as the main sim. That means about 15%. For XP10 we got about 6%.

In 2013 it was 71% FSX, 4% P3D, 3% XP10.

**** This part is only SPECULATION ****

For FS9 the numbers dropped from 16 to 9%. We can guess that those simmers probably went directly from FS9 to P3D --> Here are 9% more for P3D. ;) So we can expect than less than 5% moved from FSX to P3D in the last year.

Best regards,

FSX won't be going anywhere for a loooong time yet. Perhaps the big moves will occur when and if P3D goes 64bit.

Great survey, I enjoyed going through the data. Thanks Tom for putting it together.

Hirdy