Sign in to follow this  
LecLightning56

Disappointed with Frame Rates

What helped most for me was setting FPS to unlimited.

A lot depends on your system and the areas you fly. Unlimited works fine for me but it has a side effect that my GPS screen takes longer to redraw. I have my settings maxed so I am right on the edge - both my GPU's generally run close to 90%. 

P3D is still enough like FSX so that the system will TRY to achieve your settings at the cost of other functions like texture loading, etc. So, for me, running at a smooth 20 or 30 lets my system pump data to the GPU's more efficiently.

Some have said that a good rule of thumb is to set unlimited if your fly tubes at high altitude - you don't see the detail at FL30 and to set a limit if you go low and slow.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

A lot depends on your system and the areas you fly. Unlimited works fine for me but it has a side effect that my GPS screen takes longer to redraw. I have my settings maxed so I am right on the edge - both my GPU's generally run close to 90%. 

P3D is still enough like FSX so that the system will TRY to achieve your settings at the cost of other functions like texture loading, etc. So, for me, running at a smooth 20 or 30 lets my system pump data to the GPU's more efficiently.

Some have said that a good rule of thumb is to set unlimited if your fly tubes at high altitude - you don't see the detail at FL30 and to set a limit if you go low and slow.

Vic

Well, TBH this is exactly the kind of "FSX nonsense" I hoped P3D would fix.

FYI, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 tweak allows to use the internal frame rate limiter without the usual loss of performance; or in other words you get the same performance as with "unlimited" but you can still limit the framerate to 30 or whatever your preference is. This makes for a much smoother experience than having the setting at "unlimited" and framerates that jump from 60 to 20 and back all the time. Works perfectly well for me, anyway.

FYI, the FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.01 tweak allows to use the internal frame rate limiter without the usual loss of performance; or in other words you get the same performance as with "unlimited" but you can still limit the framerate to 30 or whatever your preference is. This makes for a much smoother experience than having the setting at "unlimited" and framerates that jump from 60 to 20 and back all the time. Works perfectly well for me, anyway.

Agree. I'm using FFTF=0.01 plus 30fps lock and the results are quite smooth. With this tweak I can pretty much stick with nearly everything maxed (except for traffic and terrain shadow). In extremely autogen-heavy urban areas P3D still suffers low fps, but the rest of my flights are really nice with these high settings.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

I am running locked with FFTF 0,05 and 30 FPS very smooth, but every few Seconds stutteres !

holliwutt

i7-10700k 5,1 GHz - 18 GB RAM - ASUS 1080Ti  - Dell G-Sync Monitor

Will try that as well. I went back to FFTF=0.33 as i found some blurry with unlimited and FTX NZSI. but your found is worth a try. Also my Mountains in FTX does not like terrain shadows. Textures gets corrupted.

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Personally, I'm not much of a frame-counter myself, I rather judge the sim in how smooth it performs and how it responds -performance-wise- with add-ons installed and atm P3Dv2.4 is shelved. It's just a stuttery mess for me, and flying FSX -with just the basic tweaks- right after a session of P3Dv2 is just no contest at all. FSX is -comparatively- much smoother and less stuttery than P3Dv2. The magic FSX tweak for me (I have an i7 4770 cpu) is just affinitymask=14, put that line in the config and it's just pure smoothness. I've tried all sorts of af values in P3Dv2 but nothing comes close and the textures are slow to load in and usually blurry, in FSX they are razor sharp and load much quicker. It's just so sad, it looks great in pause mode but flying is not fun when you know FSX is so much better. Even P3Dv2 native add-ons aren't much of a help. I'm not a whiner or FSX ######, just a dissapointed -although optimistic- flightsimmer. I still have my academic license and I will try it out again after future updates.

Kind of happy to hear that, since I am flying FSX DX9,  with AM=14, Vsynch at 1/2 refreshrate, fps locked at 30, on a 4770K@4.0 + GTX770, and quite like the smooth performance and lack of stutters.

Guess I will stay put for a while longer.. :wub:

Bert

FSX is -comparatively- much smoother and less stuttery than P3Dv2.

It's funny how (mostly) identical software can work so differently on different machines. I was nearly at the same point some time ago - after updating P3D to 2.4 it was a stuttering, blurry mess for me, very nearly unflyable. I actually bought FSX-SE, installed it and the most essential addons (FTX Global, UTX etc) and was perfectly ready to go back to FSX. As an afterthought I tried some tweaks in P3D which initially only made things worse. But at some point I got lucky and apparently found the magic formula to get P3D working on my system - suddenly it's running wonderfully smooth (considerably more so than FSXSE, even with higher graphics settings) and no more blurries either. I still can hardly believe how well it works now.

But, anyway, the important thing is that there is no point in using a software that doesn't run right on one's system. If someone has FSX set up properly and is happy with the results, there's really no need to switch to P3D. Many of us, I think, spend too much time trying to tweak and improve things and not enough time flying anyway (and that includes myself). Instead of complaining and arguing about which simulator is the best one, I think we should be glad that there are several very good choices out there to choose from - and that includes not only FSX and P3D but also X-Plane, DCS, FlightGear and probably some more.