Sign in to follow this  
jclay13

What happened to the FS2004 products?

Just went to buy a PMDG aircraft for FS2004 from PMDG's website and there aren't any.

Jon Clay

Where did you hear or read that FS2004 products are no longer active? Thanks for the information about signing my post. This is my first time on the PMDG forum and didn't see that requirement so I've signed it now. I also didn't see your signature but for some reason they don't show up on an iPad but I now see it on my PC.

Jon Clay

Ummm..... Jon, I believe he has signed his post in his signature! Also, I think this thread may provide some info: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/287950-pmdg-done-with-fs9/

I stand corrected on that. I'm using an iPad and signatures are not showing up. I logged in using my PC and can see signatures.

I can understand stopping continuous development for FS2004 but it would be nice if we could still download their FS2004 products with the caveat that there would be no support. Does anyone know if they announced they would be pulling their FS2004 products and when it happened? I was out there not too long ago and didn't see anything mentioned and when I went back to purchase FS2004 products were gone.

Jon Clay

Thanks Kyle. I do see some retailers still selling boxed versions. Do the updates on the PMDG site work for boxed products?

Jon Clay

Just out of curiosity, can I ask why you are interested in 2004 products?

I cant answer for the OP, but my reason for sticking with FS9 is that I have invested a lot of money and time over the last 10 years adding :

mesh; gound environment; flight environment; terrain; weather engine; over 200 addon detailed airports (payware and freeware) plus hundreds of more basic airports/AFCADS; an extremely comprehensive set of AI flightplans and aircraft/textures; many payware and freeware aircraft including PMDG 737-800/900; 747 PAX + Freighter; MD-11.

The thought of switching to FSX or P3d, and starting again is not one I wish to go down at this stage. I do understand why FS9 products are not being developed anymore, but it would be a shame if the existing PMDG products are not available for another FS9 user.

Peter Schluter

Some people keep flying FS2004 and that's there own choice however PMDG simply don't support that platform anymore though they can still be purchased just not here anymore you can search for it on google will always come up with a result

Do the updates on the PMDG site work for boxed products?

Yep! All the same stuff. The only true difference is that the retailer puts everything on a CD and puts that in a pretty box. Otherwise, it's all the same.

Kyle Rodgers

I cant answer for the OP, but my reason for sticking with FS9 is that I have invested a lot of money and time over the last 10 years adding :

mesh; gound environment; flight environment; terrain; weather engine; over 200 addon detailed airports (payware and freeware) plus hundreds of more basic airports/AFCADS; an extremely comprehensive set of AI flightplans and aircraft/textures; many payware and freeware aircraft including PMDG 737-800/900; 747 PAX + Freighter; MD-11.

The thought of switching to FSX or P3d, and starting again is not one I wish to go down at this stage. I do understand why FS9 products are not being developed anymore, but it would be a shame if the existing PMDG products are not available for another FS9 user.

Investment? I have 'invested' a lot of money in beer over the last 11 years and have a soft belly to show for it. I have 'spent' lots of money on entertainment, including some on FS9 and its add-ons. I certainly do not expect to be able to re-sell any of it let alone make a profit on it so I would be very reluctent to call it an investment.

With Prepare3D available under $50 and FSX available on Steam for €4.99, exactly how big a risk do you think you are taking in trying them? One final point, you do not have to fly FSX -or- FS9, you are allowed to fly FSX -and- FS9 and choose the one that gives you the most pleasure for the flight you want. For example, if you like low and slow, try flying a Carenado C206 from Wanaka to Queenstown at dawn in P3Dv2 with Orbx New Zealand South Island for scenary, mesh, airports, terrain, ground environment etc, and Active Sky Next for flight environment, weather, textures and other goodies. If you prefer fuller systems but still low enough to be pretty, your next leg could be the PMDG J41, or the even nicer Majestic Q400, Queenstown to Christchuch. From there you could take the PMDG 737 direct to Auckland in less than ideal weather, perhaps a storm blowing throw the straits? You could then switch to a PMDG 777 for probably the longest haul and highest quality tubeliner flight possible on a home PC. Fly to KL if you want  a complex flight the needs lots of careful planning, or to LA for a superlong-haul but simple over water flight. After that, you can tell me if you think your investment still has potential, and remember, I used to fly FS9 so I will know when you are fibbing.

Just in case you still don't believe me:

FSX  €4.99 : http://store.steampowered.com/app/314160/

Carenado C206 : ~€10  http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Portal/index.php

Orbx New Zealand South Island : ~€27 https://www.fullterrain.com/product/nzsi

Active Sky Next : ~€37 http://www.hifitechinc.com/products/activeskynext

Base setup with FSX about €85, with P3Dv2 about €110

Edited by Paul_Smith

Guys, it really, honestly doesn't matter. If someone wants to continue using FS95, they can certainly do so.

Heck, I still have an Atari and an old school Nintendo (both of which, I have a significant investment in). I don't, however, get upset that developers have moved on to XBOX One and Playstation (whatever v-number they're on...4?). People don't really criticize me for keeping the old Atari under my TV and still messing with it on occasion.

Same here:

People can use whatever sim they like. Just don't be surprised when devs stop releasing things for old platforms. Also, don't be surprised that people don't have the disposable income to upgrade systems and re-purchase a lot of add-ons for the newer sims.

Beyond that, there's honestly no reason to argue or get upset about it.

Kyle Rodgers

What about those people who own the 747 for FS9 and decided to go and re-install it.  Can they activate the product?

At least have some decency to inform us as we have paid in good faith and you are just removing it without any notification.

Some answer would be appreciated.

Regards

Mo

How many of us bought add-ons  in bad faith?

What about those people who own the 747 for FS9 and decided to go and re-install it.  Can they activate the product?

I don't recall anyone saying that you would no longer be able to activate the product. Can you link to that thread/announcement/sticky/rumor?

The answer would be 'yes.' Just because it's no longer sold does not mean everyone is henceforth cut off.

At least have some decency to inform us as we have paid in good faith and you are just removing it without any notification.

I think this goes both ways - it's usually more proper to assume that someone would honor a purchase rather than accuse them without proof to the contrary.

Regards
Mo

You've been here long enough to know the forum rule here: first and last name, please.

Kyle Rodgers