Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Sacrilege but FSX Steam Edition Is the Best $5 You'll Ever Spend

How could I not afford to gamble? 

Again Steam has their edition of FSX at $5.

I had heard good things about it so I pulled the trigger.

Flew the Grumman seaplane from Orcas Island to Seattle at 7,000ft.  Apparently Seattle is death to frames in the sim so I was curious to try it for myself.  My machine is not too shabby 4770K @3.9, GTX970, 8Gb 2400 ram.

I applied maximum anti aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering, took off from KORS and was greeted by 170fps unlimited. I selected unlimited as I wanted to see the degradation nearing Seattle. Over Seattle at over 50fps I decided to turn everything to maximum, and I mean everything. 46 fps was the result.

What was impressive however, and leads me to write this post is the absolute smoothness of the experience.  No jerkiness, no stutters ... pure enjoyment.

Now I do run P3Dv2 and intend to remain with that sim and, of course, FS9 but for $5 you can check out all those FSX sceneries which you acquired when purchasing the FS9 versions.. Not to mention flying some of the default aircraft which aren't available in stock FS9.

Haven't tried it but apparently Steam has worked over the multiplayer facility as well, no need to fly alone.

Only a few hours left to take advantage of the $5 offer.  Do yourself a BIG favour and check it out.

You are absolutely killing me...I did buy it when it first came out..but have yet not installed it, as I don't want to run a dual installation, and to re-apply all my add on content sends a chill down my procrastinating spine..lol.

You're killing me....lol.

Mitch

Bought it yesterday, and I am with you :-)

I am using FSX only just as I use XP10 - presently ** only ** as scenery generators for PSX, but I did give this version a try and vlew a few of it's aircraft, just to remember my good FSX days, and know what? I still LOVE it :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

You're correct .....

Sacrilege

We don't need no stink'n "X" ..... especially "steamed" at that!

Keep this forum an "X"-free zone!

I have had mostly positive experiences with it as well. However yesterday for the first time the program locked up twice near the end of long flights. That was not fun at all! 

Has anyone else had that experience? Do anti-virus programs have any impact on this version? I have never had that problem with the boxed edition but I can't figure out what caused the crashes this time. OOM's should not have been the problem.

- Bill Magann

At least for me, who have a record of install / uninstall with FSX, having it on Steam is great - makes those operations very easy!

Steam is a great platform, although I used it only for 3 sims:

- Aerofly FS ( my first experience with Steam )

- il-2 Cliffs of Dover ( a month ago )

- Now, FSX SE

I do not expect miracles, and I know exactly what I want FSX SE for - visuals only... And for that, it does a very good job :)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What was impressive however, and leads me to write this post is the absolute smoothness of the experience.  No jerkiness, no stutters ... pure enjoyment.

Great!  I've been using Seattle, KLAX, and KJFK as a staging point to try FSX (boxed edition) with various settings and my MSI GTX 980 card. Very impressive and smooth. Picked up the SE version, but haven't tried it yet. If it's even more refined, then all the better!  I have a bunch of new Orbx scenery to try out. 

I have read many positive reviews about FSX  S.E, but autogen popup  issues never seem to get a mention and is the main factor I have gone to p3d.

Any improvements in autogen popping up?

At the moment minor stutters in p3d seem easier on the eye than autogen popping up but no stutters FSX

Why is this in the FS2004 forum??

In the event that a FS2004 user might want to try SE for $5. Sometimes information doesn't need to be pigeon-holed. Feel free not to read this thread if you are not interested. 

In the event that a FS2004 user might want to try SE for $5. Sometimes information doesn't need to be pigeon-holed. Feel free not to read this thread if you are not interested. 

I am not interested ...... I did not read your post as suggested.

...as opposed to your 23,591 (mostly useless) posts, eh? :Just Kidding:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator