Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

A/T, FBW and trim switches during manual landing

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, but I have a doubt concerning FBW trim and autothrottle during landing.

I understand that, in a "normal" landing, the A/P is disengaged say at 1000 ft, while the A/T remains engaged until after touch down.

The question is: as soon as the A/P is disengaged, does the pilot command the airplane vertically only with the control column (elevators) or does he also intervene on the trim switches on the control wheel?

If I understood well, the trim switches change the FBW trim speed when in manual mode, thus I guess they should not be used in this case, since it's the A/T that commands a constant speed (in this case the Vref). I see on youtube videos that the pilot often uses the trim switches after disengaging the A/P. 

Thank you.

James Goggi

Trimming is only required for a change of reference speed. If you're fully configured and on speed (Vref +5) on final when you disconnet the AP - you shouldn't need to trim thereafter.