Sign in to follow this  
Falcon164

Can't get Prepar3D v2.4 to run at all

Splash sreen only displays for about 8 second then normal desktop displays.Tried reinstall as administrator with anti-virus software off, UAC off.

Reinstall not in programs (x86) folder. Still no difference.

Can't download with anti-virus and firewall off as the download takes over 15 hours at our broadband speed.

Based on what Spirit_66 posts I am surprised that when I run Windows 8.1 compatibiliy troubleshooter it gives me the message - incompatible program.

Hello Falcon164,

When was the last time You did a really GOOD HD CleanUp ?? - virus Scan - Malware Scan - Temp Files Clean out - Caches Cleared - Delete all Cookies - and a Defrag - Maybe twice !!

Have You tried the P3D forum - I don't think they even recomend Win 8 .

Also - when the Flash Screen Goes back to Desktop - Check The Task Manager for a Lockheed or P3D Process that is working in the background to finnish up - before continuing the boot . Do You have a way to Monitor Individual  Core Usage - See if there's anything going on there ?

I see nothing wrong with Your computer - that would keep You from running P3D at some level - Possibility of a corrupted Loader - or maybe an Issue with Win 8 ??

You need to stop Kicking around the Hangar - and get in the AIR - Have some FUN !!   :lol:  B) 

Johnman 

Had no reply from the P3D forum. Posted over 2 weeks ago. P3D disappears from the task manager when the splash screen disappears. Have downloaded again and reinstalled. Still the same.

Glad FSX works fine. Can't believe an old program works but a new one does not. Very fed up now as I purchased it in November. I did not expect a troubleshooting job with the program.

I still appreciate all the advice even though I can't get it to run.

Did you say you DID reinstall OUTSIDE of the default folder?

I don't want to start a war here but REALLY look closely at Norton. It has a way of putting hooks into your system that can drive you crazy until you disable them.

I know it will be a PITA but, if you can, completely disable or, even better, completely uninstall Norton and test.

Start your system and wait a few minutes before you load P3D.

If you haven't, disable ALL unnecessary programs/processes in task manager prior to running. Perhaps a bg process is interfering.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

"Had no reply from the P3D forum. Posted over 2 weeks ago."
Go back to your original post and bump it back up and ask about no replies ... that's not right to get no replies!

On your last download .. was the checksum correct?

Your Event Viewer should show something.

Maybe you are looking in the wrong area of the viewer.

Get the problem to happen .. note the time .. have another look in the event viewer .. post a screenhot of what you see.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Tried with the timing and multiple runs of P3D. Still can't see anything in the event viewer.

Which area do you suggest as I have looked in many areas and tried to search events for P3D?

Only found notes of successful installs and uninstalls.

Stopped loads of processes in task manager incuding Norton. Still no luck.

Reposted in P3D forum, now getting replies - thanks.

Example:

All of your events are logged.

EventViewer-Module-Name_zps57905c3c.jpg

Best Regards,

Thanks for confirming I was looking in the correct place.

Surprisingly nothing in here at all, not even warnings.

On your last download .. was the checksum correct?

"Reposted in P3D forum, now getting replies - thanks."

Give a link to your first post on this in P3D forum ... I did not see it

Best Regards,

Thanks for confirming I was looking in the correct place.

Surprisingly nothing in here at all, not even warnings.

You should be looking under Administrative Events. This is a summary of all of the Window Log Events. See AVSIM CTD Guide.

Go to the main P3DV2 Folder and right click p3d.exe and select properties. Under compatibility, make sure the "run this program in compatibility mode for" is not checked and none of the Settings are checked. Do make sure the Privilege Level indicates "run this program as an Administrator". Click on OK.

Right click the P3d main folder and select Properties. Under the sharing tab, make sure the folder is shared. Under the Security tab, make sure everyone has all of the permissions.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Looked in Administrative events but nothing relating to P3D or FSX even.

No addons in P3D by the way just the basic install.

Tried your suggestions Jim. Still no luck though.

Have printed off CTD guide and will look through this.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Glad FSX still runs well.

Completely remove P3D.

Run install as administrator by right-clicking before executing

Reboot your PC

Before you start running P3D, open the task manager and watch P3D executable. see if it crash or it's still running.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Tried this many times - no luck.

When this splash screen disappears, P3D disappears from the processes in the task manager.

Did you download the full p3d v2.4 ZIP or the ten individual zip files?

Was the download CheckSum value correct for you download?

Do you have either or both of these folders?

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\Shaders

C:\Users\YourNmae\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2

Where is P3D located on your PC?

Do a screenshot of your main P3d folder contents.

How many monitors do you have?

Do you have a Sim Pit setup?

Is your system overclocked?

Is your PC a name brand or home built?

Best Regards,

Had no reply from the P3D forum. Posted over 2 weeks ago.

This is very poor. Lockheed Martin need to provide proper support on their own forums. Our company won't be using this software for training if support is that poor.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg