Sign in to follow this  
NRiese

Vatsim and aircraft - how much knowledge is needed?

Don't know what happened to the post above. Probably my mobile :-)

Anyways, one more question! Right now I have turned Indicated Airspeed on in FSX. However, when I am looking to file a flightplan by using the vatsim.net/fp it says I need to enter the speed in True Airspeed. I know how to calculate online what 350 IAS is in TAS if we're flying FL320 and the temperature is 20 degrees F. But do I need to change the speed settings in FSX to true airspeed when setting up VNAV etc.?

Also, when I have my flightplan ready how do I deliver it to tower? Will they automatically be able to see my flight plan? Thanks again!!

When they give you the ILS frequency, you have to put it in the NAV radios. It's right under the radios you use for ATC and says NAV on the left side of the panel. And yes, the charts will tell you speed and altitude requirements/restrictions.

I think you're ready!

Okay, so I just did a flight from EKBI - EKCH. Everything went fine until the descend. The VNAV didn't seem to work at all. What I did was open the FMC, go to legs and check the speed and altitude was set and finally execute. If I turn on VNAV shouldn't it do the job for me and descend, adjusting speed etc.? Also the localizer wasn't working apparently. I had set the ILS frequency for RWY 22R which is 110,90 and I double-checked on the map. The localizer didn't say so. Any idea what I did wrong here? 

Have you already checked the VATSIM Training Departmnent at http://ptd.vatsim.net/ ?

There you can find a list of Authorized Training Organizations (ATOs) at http://ptd.vatsim.net/atos .

See if your division has one.

Marcelo Duran.

Yup, I have. I passed a test online, not sure exactly what it was but some kind of VATSIM pilot training. I'm pretty sure I can connect to VATSIM soon. I'll do a test flight later and pretend it's VATSIM. I still don't understand why VNAV isn't working though. If anybody knows please let me know if I might be doing something wrong or if it's a bug, I've done some researching but can't find a solution on this. 

Is there anyway to find a overview listed all the things I need to know about my airplane? I am really not sure what more I need if I need to know more. I guess autoland etc. isn't needed. 

I can't talk for Vatsim as I use IVAO both for flying AND controlling from time to time. But when I'm at Amaterdam (Tower or Ground) I expect the pilots who come in to know what to do. Yes a mistake is possible and I make them as well, but when I tell someone taxi and hold short instructions I demand from my pilots that the obey those commands otherwise I have to guide other airplanes around last minute and with 15 moving aircraft I might oversea something.

When I am at Rotterdam Approach/Departure I have more room for new pilots as it's a much smaller regional airport so I can assist newcomers. So if your new to this I advise you to fly to smaller airports where they have more room for mistakes.

Maarten Otto

19.jpg

...I am assigned a specific STAR...and it tells me that when passing the waypoint X I need to reduce my speed to X knots and decend to FL X. Is this what you mean?

This can get confusing sometimes, but it typically does NOT mean "when passing".  It usually means "before crossing".  Let's say you are descending on a STAR at 280KIAS and the next waypoint (we'll call it ALPHA) has a speed and altitude restriction of 230KIAS and 14,000 feet.  It does not mean you start to descend to 14,000 and start to slow to 230KIAS when you reach ALPHA.  It means BEFORE you get to ALPHA you have to be at 230KIAS and 14,000 feet.  That may have been what you meant, just the way you said it made it sound like you would be late.

As for VATSIM, I've been a member since 2008.  My first flight was terrifying, but the most fun I have had with Flight Simulator since I started this hobby way back when the Commodore 64 (you young ones will have to google that) had a B747 Simulator for it.  Definitely sit on the ramp at a busy airport some evening (away from the terminal so you are not blocking space) and just listen to the ATC-Pilot interactions.  That alone will increase your comfort factor as you learn what is being said, what will be said, and what your response should be similar to.  Understanding ATC becomes a lot easier when you can "predict" what they will tell you.  Biggest mistake I see new members do on VATSIM is they all want to fly into or out of LAX, JFK, Heathrow, ORD, and DFW.  High volume airports are fun when you get a little experience, but can be demoralizing before that point.  ATC is busier and has less time per pilot to help in the learning process.  I started at Boise/Gowen Field close to my real location and sort of "eased" into bigger places like Salt Lake City and Seattle.  I avoided LAX like the plague until I signed up for KZLA's Pilot Cert program and now you can't keep me out of there.  It's a step by step progression.  Baby Steps, my friend, Baby Steps.

As for learning nothing from the manuals, I disagree.  I print out and binder all the operating manuals I can get my hands on.  Worse thing in the world ATC will want to hear is "Hold on, let me check out a youtube video on what you are sking me to do."  The people in the youtube videos know exactly what they are doing...hopefully...and often times tend to gloss over or rapidly click that one switch or button that is extremely important.

Charts, charts, charts.  I can't mention that enough and it's been said already.  There are many freeware sources for charts.  I have twelve binders of charts...and they are all current.  Having it available either in hard copy or digitally as you fly is important.  They are a quick reference and believe it or not, makes it easier to understand which "obscure" waypoint you are being directed to by ATC when they are hard to understand.  Hearing the name, even if you didn't understand, and then looking on the chart will provide you with visusal feedback for what you just heard.

okay, I'll shut up now, but you can see I'm passionate about this hobby and VATSIM.  Jump in...you're gonna love it!

Randy

I can't talk for Vatsim as I use IVAO both for flying AND controlling from time to time. But when I'm at Amaterdam (Tower or Ground) I expect the pilots who come in to know what to do. Yes a mistake is possible and I make them as well, but when I tell someone taxi and hold short instructions I demand from my pilots that the obey those commands otherwise I have to guide other airplanes around last minute and with 15 moving aircraft I might oversea something.

When I am at Rotterdam Approach/Departure I have more room for new pilots as it's a much smaller regional airport so I can assist newcomers. So if your new to this I advise you to fly to smaller airports where they have more room for mistakes.

Understandable! I will of course start somewhere not as busy as the big airports. Thinking of EKCH - LSZH for example. I'm not sure about the traffic at LSZH though. Might bee too busy an airport.

This can get confusing sometimes, but it typically does NOT mean "when passing".  It usually means "before crossing".  Let's say you are descending on a STAR at 280KIAS and the next waypoint (we'll call it ALPHA) has a speed and altitude restriction of 230KIAS and 14,000 feet.  It does not mean you start to descend to 14,000 and start to slow to 230KIAS when you reach ALPHA.  It means BEFORE you get to ALPHA you have to be at 230KIAS and 14,000 feet.  That may have been what you meant, just the way you said it made it sound like you would be late.

Okay, thank you! Good to know that it's before crossing the point.

(away from the terminal so you are not blocking space) and just listen to the ATC-Pilot interactions

Where then? Am I able to jump in and listen without placing my aircraft at a gate or ramp? :-)

hat alone will increase your comfort factor as you learn what is being said, what will be said, and what your response should be similar to.

Yup, sure! So, I basically connect to Vatsim, go to let's say JFK and just sit there and listen? In my vPilot client there's a room called "Observers". Am I supposed to join this room? Or just the tower or ground or whatever?

As for learning nothing from the manuals, I disagree.  I print out and binder all the operating manuals I can get my hands on.  Worse thing in the world ATC will want to hear is "Hold on, let me check out a youtube video on what you are sking me to do."  The people in the youtube videos know exactly what they are doing...hopefully...and often times tend to gloss over or rapidly click that one switch or button that is extremely important.

It's not like I haven't checked the manuals at all. I am just not patient enough to sit for hours and reading through every bit as usually I know half the stuff and therefore I find it easier to look after the specific operations I want to know more about. As for the VNAV right now I don't get why it doesn't work when I am descending. I go to legs > put in the speed and altitudes for each waypoint > and activating VNAV. This doesn't work for some reason.  LNAV works which is weird. Heading select, level change etc. works as well. So, either in a case like this I find it much easier to ask here or at the iFly forums at least to start off with. People on Avsim are always very helpful! And the second thing I do is to check YouTube, make sure I understand every bit and if not the last thing I'll do is to check the manuals. FS2Crew is very helpful too I think. I'm using it for my iFly and by using that you'll get some extra hands in the cockpit and actually some help if you're stuck somewhere or has forgot to set something.

Looks like VATSIM has their own charts or at least have websites linked to where you can get charts. I am definitely going to get them every time! 

As for now I need some time to go through a couple more VATSIM ATC videos and find out what's wrong with the VNAV. And again, make sure that I know what's needed to know of my aircraft for flying online and at the same time being able to communicate with the ATC :-)

I'll just use this one instead of making a new thread - I can't see where to turn squawking standby using vPilot. Do I have to do this inside the plane above the panel? Looks like you have a seperate button if you are using FSinn in the menu. 

I used vPilot once. It's on the main menu/window thing. I think you can also choose your ident via FSX's Addons menu. I prefer FSInn, tbh. A LOT more user-friendly.

I should have added to my original post, why jump right in with a 737?  If you want to explore VATSIM, why not try out VFR in a piston away from congested fields at first?

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I used vPilot once. It's on the main menu/window thing. I think you can also choose your ident via FSX's Addons menu. I prefer FSInn, tbh. A LOT more user-friendly.

I'll try out FSInn then! :-) 

I should have added to my original post, why jump right in with a 737?  If you want to explore VATSIM, why not try out VFR in a piston away from congested fields at first?

To be honest I feel a lot more comfortable flying a 737 as this together with A319-20-21 is the only planes I really am used to flying. I don't have any payware smaller planes either and I am not familiar with VFR flying at all. I'll see what happens, might be an idea :P

I wouldn't call FSInn "user friendly", although I use it and have used it since day one on VATSIM in 2008.  Of the three...well 4 counting xPlane...clients I think FSInn seems to cause the most "help" comments and perceived problems.

FSInn definitely has more "bells and whistles", which is why I ended up using it and have stuck with it.  There is a definite progression to how you install it.  Wander away from the set guideline and install instructions and there will be grief.  I have done probably 4 or 5 installs and reinstalls over the years and despite my familiarity with FSInn I still follow the install guide step by step.  Installs go without a hitch if you do that.

To be honest I feel a lot more comfortable flying a 737 as this together with A319-20-21 is the only planes I really am used to flying. I don't have any payware smaller planes either and I am not familiar with VFR flying at all. I'll see what happens, might be an idea

Which is completely backward from the way a real world pilot learns to fly.  My first few VATSIM flights were in a default Cessna 172 well away from major traffic, just to build my "comfort zone".  If MSFS (and perhaps VATSIM) has a fault, this is it in my opinion.  It allows you to jump right in a default B747 or B777 or A321 without learning the basics of flying VFR.  Lessons are there, you are simply not required to use them to "graduate" to higher and faster.  But without that ability to jump right in and fly the big birds the MSFS series probably would have long ago been relegated to a dusty shelf.

Randy

To be honest I feel a lot more comfortable flying a 737 as this together with A319-20-21 is the only planes I really am used to flying. I don't have any payware smaller planes either and I am not familiar with VFR flying at all. I'll see what happens, might be an idea :P

Unfortunately, that is the fundamental flaw in way too many VATSIM pilots.  A large number simply jump into IFR, can fly heavy metal from A to B, but not truly understand some of the finer points of instrument flight, air traffic, and the airspace system.  Mention VFR to them and they'll be a deer in the headlights.  The truth is you really need to understand VFR before IFR.  Hence my suggestion of avoiding the 737s completely for your first several flights.  You don't need payware, a default C172 works just fine.  No one can stop you from jumping in the heavy iron and flying IFR.  However, I've seen far more success stories the other way around and far more proficient pilots (who controllers love far more, I assure you) who started low and slow on the network.

My first VATSIM flight was in a C172, doing touch and go's in Australia (only non-congested tower controller online at the time).  Then moved to more pattern work at southern US and Rocky Mountain airports and subsequently some VFR cross country work while I gained an understanding of how to use the network, while expanding my sim airmanship skills instead of piling ATP-level work all on at once.  I'm glad I did.  It made my first VATSIM experiences that much more enjoyable and educational; not to mention avoiding burnout and retaining what I was learning while staying interested.  Hence, I'm still on the network over 10 years later, enjoying both VFR flights in light GA aircraft and IFR long hauls in airliners.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Unfortunately, that is the fundamental flaw in way too many VATSIM pilots.  A large number simply jump into IFR, can fly heavy metal from A to B, but not truly understand some of the finer points of instrument flight, air traffic, and the airspace system.  Mention VFR to them and they'll be a deer in the headlights.  The truth is you really need to understand VFR before IFR.  Hence my suggestion of avoiding the 737s completely for your first several flights.  You don't need payware, a default C172 works just fine.  No one can stop you from jumping in the heavy iron and flying IFR.  However, I've seen far more success stories the other way around and far more proficient pilots (who controllers love far more, I assure you) who started low and slow on the network.

My first VATSIM flight was in a C172, doing touch and go's in Australia (only non-congested tower controller online at the time).  Then moved to more pattern work at southern US and Rocky Mountain airports and subsequently some VFR cross country work while I gained an understanding of how to use the network, while expanding my sim airmanship skills instead of piling ATP-level work all on at once.  I'm glad I did.  It made my first VATSIM experiences that much more enjoyable and educational; not to mention avoiding burnout and retaining what I was learning while staying interested.  Hence, I'm still on the network over 10 years later, enjoying both VFR flights in light GA aircraft and IFR long hauls in airliners.

Totally agree. Try flying VFR from A to B and tune to the active frequencies to listen and learn, or a VOR to VOR flight, this way you will learn the basics and will more confident when you start flying the big iron.