Sign in to follow this  
cropduster

New Computer- Follow NickN Guide

This probably has been asked before but couldn't find this.  Below is my new computer build, I don't feel comfortable enough to build my own so I had cyberpower build this one for me.  I have had good luck with them in the past so hoping for the same.....

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: EVGA FTW NVIDIA GTX970

Mem- 8 GB RAM 2133 DDR3

HDD- (1) 480 GB SSD for both Windows 7 and FSX on the same

I will use my old fsx computer as a network computer with simconnect and WideFS.

Do I need to follow Nick N guide or can I load FSX and go and play right away?  Thanks!

This probably has been asked before but couldn't find this. Below is my new computer build, I don't feel comfortable enough to build my own so I had cyberpower build this one for me. I have had good luck with them in the past so hoping for the same.....

CPU: I7 4790K

GPU: EVGA FTW NVIDIA GTX970

Mem- 8 GB RAM 2133 DDR3

HDD- (1) 480 GB SSD for both Windows 7 and FSX on the same

I will use my old fsx computer as a network computer with simconnect and WideFS.

Do I need to follow Nick N guide or can I load FSX and go and play right away? Thanks!

Definitely follow his guide. Make your appropriate changes to fsx.cfg and nvidia inspector. Follow whatever else it says

I disagree with the above.  He has so many guides.  Which one are we talking about?  The Bible?  Use the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for your first startup. This guide was prepared with many "experts" from around the Flight Simulation community including NickN.  If you have a powerful system (and you do), I would stay away from any tweaks unless you are absolutely certain they will work for you.  I used NickN's BufferPool tweak suggestion and my system suffered fps immediately and a lot of stuttering.  I have exactly the same system as NickN (I got mine first) so I thought his overclocking and his tweaks which he said worked for him would work for me.  They did not.  Every system is different.  He is able to overclock much, much higher than I can because not all CPU's are the same (he indicates this in his guides).  One person might have one of those charmed i7 4770K cpu's that can easily be overclocked to 4.8GHz and another, like me, will have one that struggles at 4.3GHz.  I have had to move it back to 4.2GHz just to keep it stable.  I tried his Bible overclocking suggestions and got CTD's almost immediately.  I now use NO tweaks and my FSX and addons run fantastic.  Clear, crisp and fast!  (Of course I use the FSX Configuration Guide).

Enjoy you new system.  Did Cyberpower overclock your CPU?

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I agree with Jim, I have a new system not unlike yours, and I found that keeping tweaks to a minimum is much better. Definitely the Highmemfix, no bufferpools=0 leave that setting to the AVSIM guide suggestion and very little else. More important are the visual settings and the use of NVI. These new systems can look great!

Lee

P.S. Recently I moved into DX10 wit Steve's fixer and it is still great with even better VAS usage. P3D 2.4 I'm going slow with.

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

Best you can do is try all nicks guide! But i would recommend the bible for OS7

You can try his OC guide see how you get on start off low as he suggests. And jim is right you might not be able to OC high. This why you have got to try it.

I have tried every tweak every solution since my new build last year. Only tweak i have is FFTF 0.05 and that gives me good frames. Also HIGHMEMFIX=1 and the other entrys you need for fsx but they aren't tweaks you just need them

Vernon Howells

I didn't have cyberpowerpc oc for me. Most people I talked to said the i7 4790k ran pretty good without oc.

Thanks for all the replies. Can't wait to get into this system Shoild be here in a couple weeks.