Sign in to follow this  
twincessna340a

Saitek Throttle, PMDG, and FSUIPC Axis Delta

I am making a renewed effort to use my Saitek throttles with the NGX and 777X. My specific question is for those that use Saitek throttles with PMDG what "Delta" do you use in the 'Axis Assignments' page in FSUIPC?

The default is 256. Both my throttle axis are setup as follows:

Reverse: -16193 < 0

Idle: 0=< 2476

Max: 16192

I am going for smoothness (and without using 'sync pos' as much as possible) and I feel that 256, which equates to roughly 53 throttle detents, is a bit small.

Thanks!

I DO NOT want this turning into a debate or complaint thread. I am seeking advice.

- Ike Callaway

I am making a renewed effort to use my Saitek throttles with the NGX and 777X. My specific question is for those that use Saitek throttles with PMDG what "Delta" do you use in the 'Axis Assignments' page in FSUIPC?

The default is 256. Both my throttle axis are setup as follows:

Reverse: -16193 < 0

Idle: 0=< 2476

Max: 16192

I am going for smoothness (and without using 'sync pos' as much as possible) and I feel that 256, which equates to roughly 53 throttle detents, is a bit small.

Thanks!

I DO NOT want this turning into a debate or complaint thread. I am seeking advice.

I would check off no reverse zone. Run the throttles from -16xxx to +16xxx. Then for the reversers, use the detents at the bottom of the throttle axis. They'll register in FSUIPC as buttons. Set each one to Throttle X Decr and check off the option to continue while button is pressed. Then, underneath that for button release, set it to Throttle X Cut. 

I would love to and tried to have it that way, but at least in my case my throttles will jump forward and backward wildly as I advance/retract them. I think this is why:

According to the FSUIPC documentation:

"If you have more than one throttle, and calibrate them separately on Page 3 of the FSUIPC4

Joystick options, you need to take care with any aircraft panels equipped with an “Engine Control Unit” (ECU) or “Electronic Engine Control” (EEC). The aircraft panels equipped with these are altering the values you send from your throttles in order to keep the engine within set bounds. But they do this by sending the same controls as your real throttles, so FSUIPC4 applies calibration to those as well as yours. If you calibrate with the idle position well below centre (i.e. negative), which is quite likely, as you will want to use a smaller portion of the travel for reverse than for forward thrust, then the “idle” value of 0 sent by the panel will equate to some positive forward thrust. There is no easy answer to this. You will either have to calibrate taking care to keep the idle area centred on the value 0, or disable the Engine Control Unit in the panel."

IMHO I believe this is the reason that Saitek throttles are finicky with PMDG as I assume the ECU or EEC is fully simulated (someone from the Dev team please correct me if I am wrong!).

- Ike Callaway

In the axis assignment in fsuipc just select "send to fs as normal axis"

You can leave the others as "send to fsuipc calibration" but not the throttle.

I had the same issue until I did this.

Glenn Harrall

Glenn Harrall

The only thing I send to FSX as normal axis is the hat switch for Pan View and I don't have any problems. After all of the throttles are calibrated, use the Sync Pos button 10-15 times as you advance them forward.

Confirmed.

I would check off no reverse zone. Run the throttles from -16xxx to +16xxx.

This is where I got it to work, 'Exclude THROTTLEn_SET' needs to be UNCHECKED.

Now to the sync.

Thanks!

- Ike Callaway

I would check off no reverse zone. Run the throttles from -16xxx to +16xxx. Then for the reversers, use the detents at the bottom of the throttle axis. They'll register in FSUIPC as buttons. Set each one to Throttle X Decr and check off the option to continue while button is pressed. Then, underneath that for button release, set it to Throttle X Cut. 

Glenn Harrall

Ian and Glenn,

That is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks so much for sharing your settings and thoughts.  It has made a huge difference with my PMDG aircraft.

Regards,

Robert

\Robert Hamlich/

Interesting. I might try "send to FS as normal axis" rather than calibrating through fsuipc as I do now. By the way, I've set my delta to 130, and it seems to work fine for me.

Joel Murray @ CYVR (actually, somewhere about halfway between CYNJ and CZBB) 

Ian and Glenn,

That is exactly what I have been looking for, thanks so much for sharing your settings and thoughts.  It has made a huge difference with my PMDG aircraft.

Regards,

Robert

Glad to help.

Could someone please explain to me in detail what the delta does? I still don't get it. All my deltas I left in 1. Thanks anyone.

PMDG-777-EK-SIG-MAY1713-2_zps6f2ed2be.pn

Chidiebere Anyahara

The 'Delta' value in the Axis assignments tab specifies the minimum change in physical joystick movement that causes 'movement' to the throttles in the sim. In lay terms it is the sensitivity of the axis, with smaller values of 'Delta' increasing sensitivity (which can be too much).

To find the resolution of your calibration (number of discrete throttle points your simulator is recognizing) take the range of the axis and divide it by the 'delta'.

- Ike Callaway

As per Petes Docs, setting the delta far below the default of 256 can flood simconnect and cause problems with performance and other addons that rely on the simconnect interface etc.

Bare that in mind when doing this.

IMHO I believe this is the reason that Saitek throttles are finicky with PMDG as I assume the ECU or EEC is fully simulated (someone from the Dev team please correct me if I am wrong!).

Maybe it's just my set, but I had "finickyness" for any plane and the cause was simply dirty potentiometers. Unfortunately Saitek employs large blobs of anti-tamper goo, so they're not replaceable.

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Glenn Harrall

I found this to be the best setting also. All other options caused issues with both NGX and 777. Also using reversers with throttle switch control causes issues.