Sign in to follow this  
FlavioSSA

Eaglesoft Citation X 2.0 in FSX SE

Jim, our installer is the same as produced in house PRIOR to being F1 wrapped. While Flavio and Colin may feel that their tests are conclusive we remain unconvinced.

On the other hand we also remain unconvinced that W8 is a viable OS for FS enthusiasts whether one chooses an F1 wrapped product or not. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Interesting finding Flavio! I always thought that the installer that is extracted from a Flight1 wrapper is the same installer that you would get if you obtained the file directly from the vendor in non-wrapper form. (For those vendors that offer both delivery options) - but apparently there is more to it than that where Win 8.1 is concerned.

The F-15E does actually use some of the security options that come with the Flight1 wrapper. If the addon is using those that might be why they refuse to work.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

Jim, our installer is the same as produced in house PRIOR to being F1 wrapped.

You´re confirming what i´m talking about. It´s when F1 wrap your installer and you activate the security that the problem shows itself. If you use your installer without being wrapped by F1, it will work perfectly in win8. In fact, it´s already demonstrated when you use the "Problem Reporting Settings" workaround. If this workaround is used, windows is just not registering the DRM errors and the addon will work. With the same workaround LevelD767 works too!! Isn´t that a coincidence? Badly, because the DRM is spilling it´s errors in the background, but will work.  I can say this, because i tested the workaround here and citationX and LevelD loads. Badly but loads with all features working. But´s it´s far from being the answer to this problem. What they have in common?

If and when you´re good to try doing a test, just run your installer in a win8 with a fresh FSX without the wrapper and see for yourself that all of your addons will work perfectly.

@Narutokun: Thanks for confirming that!

Again, i´m open to debate if the comunity wants to. I know i want, because i´m missing too much my beloved addons :)

Flavio Cardoso - P3Dv4.5 HF3

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

The problem is still inside the OS.

Here's why I won't support Win8:

1 - I would have to purchase it, I don't pay that much money for junk.

2 - I would have to install it and use it, I don't have enough time in a year to deal with it's issues.

3 - Win8 is well known to have lots of problems with relation to software written for prior OS versions.

Win8 is a cell phone interface, that's all it's good for... and it's not very good at that either.

Win 7 has 56% of the market share, next is Win XP (the OS they no longer update) with 18%. Windows 8 is only 13% and that's only because of Win 8.1 which is actually 9% of that figure.

Win8 is not an OS worth either the cost or the hassle of dealing with. It is the source of your problems and no matter how many times you want to point at the Flight1 DRM system as the 'source'... consider that said DRM works flawlessly across all the other OS systems out there in use... except Microsoft Cell Phone OS.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Win8.1 apparently has several improvements over 8.0 and is more stable. That said, since ill only have a drive with win8.1 on it by the end of the month, the pattern I tend to notice with support issues where I work is that some users who have correctly configured win8 on their system, will have no problems while others, who just run straight out of the box, tend to get complete grief.

I would venture a guess that that win8.1 can be configured on the user's side to run everything properly without the developer having to do anything special to his code.

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

1 - I would have to purchase it, I don't pay that much money for junk.

It's not junk.

2 - I would have to install it and use it, I don't have enough time in a year to deal with it's issues.

There are no issues.

3 - Win8 is well known to have lots of problems with relation to software written for prior OS versions.

It doesn't.

The only thing different as far as usability is the start menu. It's a very simple change that doesn't take much to get used to. It's absolutely usable on a PC with a mouse and keyboard. I've been developing aircraft and software on it for over two years now. Other than that, there are many performance improvements and neat features. 8/8.1 run fine out of the box and I've never had any issues with compatibility or reliability.

Brandon Filer

Supporters of Win8/8.1 or any other W8 flavor need only drop over to the Avsim W8 forum to observe what FSX enthusiast already know.. :blink:

That is to say, they are faced with challenges that we aren't about to bring on ourselves or support for others.

Choose your own poison boys but we'll avoid the whole mess.. B)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Weird,  :blink:  :blink:

I've been using W8.1 for a few months now and haven't had any issues with either FSX:SE, XPlane, DCS or any other steam games I have...none, nada, not a single glitch, in fact,  I think it's even more stable then win7............in my case at least, go figure.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

I run FSX on 64-bit Windows 8.1, and it works fine for me. I have a lot of payware, and the *only* things I've had issues with are the Eaglesoft Cirrus SR22, and the RealityXP Flightline 'N' and 'T' gauges. All 3 of which use the Flight1 wrapper (and put license folders in the root of my C drive). Maybe that's a coincidence, but it seems unlikely.

I was gonna buy the Flight1 GTN 750 for the RealAir v2 turbine Duke, but now I'm worried. AFAIK they do have a 30-day return period, so maybe I'll give it a go. Anybody know if it uses the same DRM system?

CarlosF and Odd Cosine: Exactly my point!

I wonder what will happen when Windows10 arrives and F1 addons STILL don´t work. Windows 10 will be a doomed SO too? Maybe someone creates a FS dedicated SO in the future?

Well, at first, this topic was about getting Eaglesoft CX to run in win8 with FSX SE. In the process, i found that the problem was not with the plane, but with it´s DRM system, in this case Flight1. I saw that this topic don´t got much attention. Maybe because it´s title is incorrect now. (It should be Flight1 DRM versus Win8), or maybe as Mr. Ed said properly that windows8 market share is not great among FS users, but very far from be junk, I  really don´t know.

What i know for sure is: Flight1 DRM system broke addons in Windows 8. That´s it.

I put this information here, for anybody see it. If someone will ever take action to correct this, only time will know. For me, it represents the end of buying f1 wrapped addons. For others, well, be aware and take your conclusions!

Thanks for all who participated in this tread!

Win 10 Pro 64Bits - i74960X 4.5ghz - ASUS Rampage IV Black Ed. - Corsair H150i Platinum - 32gb  Ripjaws Z - ASUS RTX 2080 SUPER SC - MCP 737R 2015 Virtual Avionics

Ok... so the DRM functions in WinXP... it functions in Win Vista, it functions in Win7... but there's a problem in Win8 and it's the DRM?

Really?

That logic is seriously flawed.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I was gonna buy the Flight1 GTN 750 for the RealAir v2 turbine Duke, but now I'm worried.

The F1 GTN works fine for me in the a2a 182 on 8.1 and P3D.  In fact, I have never had problems with Flight1 wrappers and 8.1 with the following:

EZDok

iFLY 737

Ultimate Terrain X v2

GTN 750

Ryan

Ok... so the DRM functions in WinXP... it functions in Win Vista, it functions in Win7... but there's a problem in Win8 and it's the DRM?

Really?

That logic is seriously flawed.

No, it´s not. It appears that F1 DRM system was made by the time XP was the major SO around. Time pass, new SO´s on the market. It is completely normal that by some point, old codes won´t work anymore. That´s completely normal in the software market. I work with JAVA apps and i know it happens all the time. Why you think it won´t happen with F1 DRM? One developer already stated that: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?90621-ALS-Flanker&p=915828&viewfull=1#post915828

By other hand, i agree with you, that a lot more tests are needed. I can´t do that because i´m just a user. Not a developer who has access to the DRM . That´s a work to the developers, IF they want to of course :)

And, the test i did is very clear. With Flight1 DRM -> Don´t work. Without Flight1 DRM -> Works! In the same machine. In the same FSX SE. The same addon, the same addon code.

The F1 GTN works fine for me in the a2a 182 on 8.1 and P3D.  In fact, I have never had problems with Flight1 wrappers and 8.1 with the following:

EZDok

iFLY 737

Ultimate Terrain X v2

GTN 750

That really depends in what DRM security itens are activated by the time the wrapper do it´s thing.

But the 'old code' is unchanged... the OS is changed. So you're stating the 'old code' is the part that is broken, not the new OS. Flawed logic. Seriously. MS broke something and you're pointing the finger at Flight1... I'm honestly stunned.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Exactly. the old code is unchanged and the SO is changed. The SO evolved and uses better code. The DRM code is not "broken" but it NEEDS to evolve too to access SO code correctly. If not, them it´s the end of it. As i said above, what will happen if in win10 the drm system still don´t work? Any software has to evolve. Why you think 16 bit software don´t work anymore on modern SO´s?

A very good example is what is happening with P3D. It´s almost the "same code" of FSX but it evolved. Works like a charm in win8. It uses new tecnology only availabe now like dx11, etc. It will be better when it goes 64bits, and so on. Can´t you see my point?

F1 DRM system is a software compiled a long time ago. Probably it has old libraries, old memory pointers that don´t work anymore. Only the developer can say for sure. New compilers are available in the market. New libraries that will talk perfectly with win8 and the future OS´s.