Sign in to follow this  
brodhaq

B777 Main gear steering and Thrust Application

Hello,

I have noticed a feature of a real B777 being described here: http://www.infinidim.org/pt-update-main-gear-steering-and-thrust-application which I am unable to replicate in PMDG B777-200LR. Could you please check it and tell me if I am just trying wrongly or if it is not simulated?

"Main gear steering engages when the CM1 tiller is beyond approximately 13° and remains engaged until the CM1’s tiller has returned to approximately 9° – after this point main gear locking takes approximately 5 seconds. Anytime a thrust lever is advanced beyond 60% N1 with the main gear steering unlocked, a CONFIG GEAR STEERING Warning message is generated on EICAS. "

Thank you and thank Ken for this absolutely amazing website.

Pavel Brodsky

Both the system and the warning are included in the product.

The main gear steering is only installed on the last axle of the main gear bogeys. Only the last axle will turn.

I see the main gears turning correctly during sharp turn lineup, but when I advance thrust even to full power with full deflection of tiller/main wheels there is no warning activated - from my understanding the warning should come on whenever I advance power during sharp turn - do you have any video or screenshot with this warning active in PMDG?

Pavel Brodsky

The warning that should activate is part of the Takeoff Configuration Warning (FCOM 15.20.10) and the message is CONFIG GEAR STEERING. From the sounds of things you should be getting the warning - it can still go off on takeoff in the aircaft even if the tiller is straight after a turn - because the rear bogies haven't yet return to center and locked position.

Ok, 

to contribute to this discussion I have recorded the T7 in my FSX (sorry for the video quality, Fraps didnt want to work so I had to use some freeware utility which was far from being perfect)...

You can see I am turning corners with maximum rudder/tiller deflection (I use single joystick twisting to control both rudder and nose gear in FSX, I dont have separate tiller) and advancing thrust during the sharp turn or shortly after finishing it and I get no warning. The last main gear wheels are obviously deflected correctly so I only complain about the warning.

For example at 1:07 the warning should be on I think: 

Pavel Brodsky

Have you submitted a support ticket to PMDG? This looks like a genuine issue and a ticket is the best way to get their attention

ki9cAAb.jpg