Sign in to follow this  
alhefner

Worth the $$$ and frustration?

I bought X-Plane and installed it after doing some reading here and over at the forums on X-Plane.org. Was pretty sure it would be a great addition to my simulator flying but now, I'm kinda having second, third, and fourth thoughts.

Of course the only airports with any detail are in the KSEA area but, there are loads of scenery files for free. The problem is that I am unable to validate my registration at the forum so...no download...no starting topics...no nothing and the only "Contact us" over there is for the sales department... sent them an email asking for help and I'll see what happens.

The thing is, with all the additions needed for pleasing flight, all the set-up that has to be changed often depending on aircraft being used, am I simply beating my head against a concrete wall in really trying to get it going?

I know there are avid X-Plane users here who have been around the block. How long does it take to get X-Plane set up so that it is fairly pleasing to fly?

I'm a new user and I've only just made my first few responses over there to get posting privileges.  However, I did a flight through the Scottish highlands (a place I love) in the default C172 (with much aileron trim) over the awesome AlpilotX HD mesh v3 (various download sources for that) between scenery gateway airports under Skymaxx pro clouds (my only paid addon), and although my pc strength and corresponding rendering settings gave me foul visuals at low frames, there was something about the feel (and night lighting in particular) that made it feel really great none the less.  I'd say it's worth sticking with, it really seems to be worth it.

As for how long, I've been on and off for a few weeks now but once you've got some scenery for your favourite area to fly and some acceptable rendering options, I'd hope you'd be able to get some enjoyment out of the sim pretty soon.

Good luck!

Yeah, I get the idea that once I do get it set up, I'll like it... I hope so! I'm really frustrated right now though with the combination of difficulties I've found. There are tons of scenery files on the .org site that I just can't use due to the inability to verify my registration.

Not sure if I should start downloading the AlpilotX HD mesh or not just yet... I sort of think I should wait until I can get to the other scenery files first to see...

After spending insane amount of time with FS (~12 years, thousands of hours) it took me 2 or 3 years before i started feeling comfortable with X-Plane.

I still miss complex 3rd party planes (PMDG, A2A) and airport sceneries, but i don't think that i could go back now.

Regards,

Radek

all the set-up that has to be changed often depending on aircraft being used

What do you mean by this? The only time I change something in my setup is when I want to use the mixture axis of my throttle quadrant for the speedbrakes of the Antares motor glider, but setting up the controls is very easily once you understood the idea. But this would be needed in FSX, too, if I needed more hardware controls than I have.

There are tons of scenery files on the .org site that I just can't use due to the inability to verify my registration

Have you checked your spam folder for an activation email?

You can also write an email to the .org support. (Please also note that x-plane.org is not related to Laminar Research in any way, but an independent website. Maybe you already know this, but often newbies confuse this.)

Mario Donick .:. vFlyteAir

X-Plane is the same as FSX/P3D in this regard. You can have some fun with just the stock planes and default scenery, but for the best experience you really need to add some things and spend some time setting everything up.

The great thing about X-Plane is that many add-ons are completely free, where as the equivalent addons for FSX would cost $30 - $60 each. This includes some top quality aircraft and airports, as well as the amazing HD Mesh. Also, payware is generally a bit cheaper for X-Plane, though prices have gone up lately, IMO.

Still, maintaining both FSX (or P3D) and X-Plane in parallel will take more of your available flight-sim time, so it's an investment you have to make. I think it's worth it because X-Plane offers some unique advantages over the other sims.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Have you checked your spam folder for an activation email?

You can also write an email to the .org support. (Please also note that x-plane.org is not related to Laminar Research in any way, but an independent website. Maybe you already know this, but often newbies confuse this.)

The activation email came in without a problem. I tried using the activation link and got "OOPS! Something is wrong" on their site... I tried the manual activation within the email and got the same result.

I know they are separate. I clicked the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum page and was sent to a standard type of contact form. There, you have to choose what "department" your sending email off to and the only choice is "Sales".

I'm learning a bit more about X-Plane each time I fire it up. The scenery I do have is so much better than either FSX or P3D that it's sort of astounding. Things are certainly different! You don't simply jump into a cockpit and hit the gas! So, yeah, I think it will be worth the effort to get it configured, added to, and otherwise in the long run.

It can take a while to get comfortable with the setup but once you find the sweet spot that gives best framerate with best settings on your system there will be little or nothing that you should ever have to change other than joystick/button assignments. As for money, I've found that I've spent very little compared to that required for the other sims to get them up to scratch. SkyMaxxPro and whatever aircraft I've bought with a donation here and there to some of the better freeware projects (g2xpl, World2XPlane). There will come a point where "jump into a cockpit and hit the gas" is very easy to just do. There eventually came a point for me where I just couldn't bear to fly the others at all, they just weren't right even having spent large amounts on them. Stick with it, you'll likely not be sorry.

X-Plane is more like a workshop. I fly in X-Plane since its version 8.30 came out, and that is about 8 years ago. Since then, i am never fully happy with my setup, my rendering options and mostly, I spend more time configuration the rendering options than actually flying. However, once you have figured out a sweet spot between frame Rates, complexity of plane and scenery and settings, X-Plane is a ton of fun. X-Plane 10 has a few bugs on my system, so I'm busy enough trying to get those sorted out.

All in all, it is a great simulator and i cannot wait for more addons to come out. FSX has the advantage in terms of what's available (AES, Ground Services, etc) but X-Plane will catch up on that one too. (One day)