Sign in to follow this  
PDX Flyer

Separate Forum for FSX Steam?

Any possibility of having a separate forum for FSX-Steam?  Just speaking for myself, I find it somewhat annoying to have to sort out the steam versus the non-steam threads.

My reply to another who asked the same question I did 4 days after the Steam release:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458315-fsx-and-steam-forums/?p=3140781

Hehe...I'm a clairvoyant.

Tom's reply and resolution for now...

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458315-fsx-and-steam-forums/?p=3140903 

Maybe we'll revisit the topic in a few more weeks....but now you can pass the baton to the next person who asks this when your post is buried a few pages back.  :wink:

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

I agree.  I think the time has come to separate these items, as there seem to be as many SE posts as FSX.

I would also like to (humbly) suggest that since most of the Library files now seem to be of the "Repaint, Textures, and Modifications" variety, they should also be separated in the Library.

Dave Hinson

IMO, this is exactly what subforums are for. Sure, it's very close to being the same as FSX Gold, but it obviously isn't the same.

Having tags seems to just result in the information on SE specifically being that much mo difficult to find.

I do not see enough FSX Steam Edition threads to justify a subforum. Plus why fragment possible announcements, news, guides, and support threads into two subforums for software barely distinguishable?

I do not see enough FSX Steam Edition threads to justify a subforum. Plus why fragment possible announcements, news, guides, and support threads into two subforums for software barely distinguishable?

I agree.  Placing the colored tile identifier in the thread title to identify which version of FSX is being used seems like a good solution.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

for software barely distinguishable?

Oh but it's hugely distinguishable at present..... maybe not in the long term, but at present, we're all trying to get all our add-ons working in FSX:SE, and other bits and bobs sorted out for the platform...... plus it has a different development path (eg... it has one, whereas MS FSX doesn't!), so there is much discussion to be had about updates and development (there's a new update about to be released for it), that probably wouldn't interest MS FSX simmers.

PMDG are currently developing FSX:SE installers.

Orbx are currently developing FSX:SE installation tools for FSX:SE (+ ObjectFlow compatibility)

Flight 1 are currently working on FSX:SE compatibility for all their in-house products

etc, etc

........that's a lot of 'FSX:SE only' discussion that probably wouldn't interest MS FSX users.

I do not see enough FSX Steam Edition threads to justify a subforum.

This may (or may not) be true now, but as the use of FSX Steam increases, in my opinion this will be an issue.  I think that eventually (if not now) FSX Steam will be separated into a separate forum.

If there is enough need to place the colored identifier before the thread title, then maybe it is justified now?  This is just my personal opinion.  In the grand scheme of FSX things, this isn't that big of an issue now, just an annoyance.

Happy Flying!

I agree. Placing the colored tile identifier in the thread title to identify which version of FSX is being used seems like a good solution.

I agree with this. Another benefit for a single forum with tags is for posts made of new products or releases - these type of posts are for both.

Last, if you wish to view only posts for one or the other, you can simply click on the tag - doing so acts as a filter.

Last, if you wish to view only posts for one or the other, you can simply click on the tag - doing so acts as a filter.

I didn't know this -- seems like a good solution.  Is this common knowledge amougst most members?

I didn't know this -- seems like a good solution.  Is this common knowledge amougst most members?

I have no idea - I only found out myself this morning when I hovered my mouse over the Steam icon :mellow:

Surely this is just the sort of information which should be posted as a "sticky" to prevent topics like this from being periodically repeated?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Surely this is just the sort of information which should be posted as a "sticky" to prevent topics like this from being periodically repeated?

Now there's a good idea!

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

.that's a lot of 'FSX:SE only' discussion that probably wouldn't interest MS FSX users.

---------------------------------------

I don't know if the above would be accurate for myself. I bought .SE at the onset...but have not installed it.  I will be, when everything I own, can be merely ported over. So..for myself, I am most interested as a FSX:MS user at present to keep myself abreast of any FSX:SE topic.  I find the flags easy to parse for FSX.x related posts, and right there in front of my eyes.

Forum Administrators,

Are you listening?

Hope so!