Sign in to follow this  
OzWhitey

Any updates on the performance of 5820K/Haswell E in P3D?

Looking good Rob, when do you fly home? Would like to hear some opinions before I build/order mine.

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Looking good Rob, when do you fly home? Would like to hear some opinions before I build/order mine.

Well, I fly home on the 14th but relevance?? I'll be heading down to PCCG in ten minutes or so to see if I can get my gear. :)

I know half of it is ready for pickup, never know your luck so I'll hope order 2 is good to go as well.

I'll hope to have a flyable system within 48 hours. Will keep you all posted!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

I was just guessing that you'd be installing and tweaking when you got home - looking forward to reports

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I was just guessing that you'd be installing and tweaking when you got home

No, that is what most sensible people would do. But i figured you'd want to know how it performs, so I've started the build today. :rolleyes:

Hopefully not too much (flighsim) tweaking to be done, it's P3D. Maybe an affinity mask addition but that's about all I can think of right now. Overclock tweaking of the system, well that's a different matter.

I got all the parts late this afternoon, and am now about two-thirds done with the physical build - Mobo, CPU, water cooler, SSD and RAM in. Mainly cabling to go after that, then I can start getting the software up and running.

I have an external HDD with me with 122 gig of P3D programs (scenery, planes etc). So hopefully can get on and get that installed ASAP.

Oz

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

fun I'm having flying through the hills of North Carolina in my A2A Cessna

What is a fair-haired boy from Oz doing trolling the hills of North Carolina? Ex-pat with a southern accent?    :lol:

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

What is a fair-haired boy from Oz doing trolling the hills of North Carolina? Ex-pat with a southern accent?    :lol:

Hah, no southern accent here, mate. ^_^

Been to TN but never NC - but think I might like it there. Before leaving for 'vacation', though, I tried out the A2A 182 with the F1 GTN 850 in the hills around Andrews-Murphy (KRHP). Made some photoscenery, added the Nuvecta trees, fixed the airports, added some hand-placed objects, ultimate terrain for the night lighting. Not a place people talk about simming in - no Orbx etc - but there's some good hill-country flying to be had there if you can fix the scenery a little. Looking forward to trying it with the 5820K on Wednesday.

Oz

OK, lads, I built it.

Physical build went pretty smoothly, the water cooling was something new for me so that probably added a couple of hours (should the fans push or pull? which spacers go with a 2011-3? etc). The NZXT H440 looks beautiful, I've even added LED lights in the case though I'm not sure if they increase flightsim performance all that much.

Today was spent getting the software installed. Thunderstorm with a good power surge and outage whilst Win7 was installing its 168 updates had me a bit worried - but everything turned back on OK and the software side of things proved fixable.

So did I fly it? Yep, got P3D, Orbx PNW, Megascenery ultrares Boise, ASN, FS Genesis mesh and my custom NC 50cm photoscenery with autogen installed OK this evening.

Performance at base clock - 3.3Ghz - was OK but to be honest, a little disappointing.

Time to release the Kraken - fans on the watercooler to 100% - and hit the UEFI to see if we could get a bit more than 3.3 GHz.

I'm not an overclocking guru by any means, so I think this can be done by anyone with moderate computer skills.

Here's the plan:

Baseclock on 100

CPU multiplier to 44

vCore to 1.275

Memory from 2133 to 2400

Booted no problems, stable as a rock so far after 1-2 hours of P3D simming.

Temps were a comfortable 40 degrees at rest rising to a maximum of 62 degrees when P3D was running full pace.

So how did it perform?

Well, I was really, really impressed with the OC performance.

I started with the default F-22 at Boise over the megascenery ultrares. The photoscenery was sharp and smooth at full pace. It was just a different sim experience to anything I've had before. With frames set to unlimited I was getting between 60 and 100+ - though there's so many variables with the settings I think the numbers are hard to interpret.

Next I went to the NC scenery. This is 25cm or 50cm FSET with some hand-placed autogen and trees by nuvecta (and we're talking hundreds or thousands of trees here). Frames were 60-80 with the autogen on, max LOD radius etc - and more so, it was really, really smooth. The scenery just looked way sharper than anything I've seen before, I think because the textures don't 'pop' in.

Finally, I moved all the sliders to the right. Initially, it didn't seem to make much difference. Eventually, with traffic, terrain shadows and cloud shadows it seemed less smooth but the frames were still pretty good.

So what can you make of that?

Firstly, my subjective impression is that a 5820K is a great choice for P3D. My fairly brief test flights felt more like flying than anything I've done before in a sim, i think because of the clarity of the terrain and the smoothness of the sim. Initial reaction - post overclock - was a great, big smile.

Secondly, the major reason that's been suggested not to go with the X99/Haswell-E systems is the slow base clock. I'm OK at overclocking i7 9-- chips, but the Haswell-E is a different story and my knowledge is just based on a few hours research on the interwebs. So with decent cooling and reasonable components I think anyone else can get to 4.4 GHz. If we go with the theory that Haswell-E is 5-8% faster clock-for-clock than the i7 4790K that means we're getting the equivalent of about 4.6+ Ghz without really trying too hard. So clock speed is pretty similar, but you're getting two extra cores and DDR4 memory.

I'll plan to do some stress testing soon to see if it's really as stable as I think it is. 4.4 GHz was my target as I think it's consistent with a 24/7 overclock for flying rather than benchmarking. As my temps are only up to 60 degrees maximum I'll try some higher clocks tomorrow and see how things go.

PNW with KORS and Concrete Muni still needs a test run tomorrow to test landclass+autogen performance. And I suppose I need to test it in a big city like Seattle that's good at killing frames.

If anyone wants me to test a specific location with specific settings, let me know. Otherwise, I'll post an update when I have a bit more overclocking and simming data to share.

Oz

Excellent effort, Rob! 

I suggest turning on PerfMon to check on what all those cores are doing for you. That high a frame rate with no blurries and smooth performance, you would think they would be doing something!!!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Rob,

Thanks. You've confirmed what I've suspected, based on my reading about the Haswell-E/X99 combo. Most of the Haswell-E benchmark articles that are online say that 4.4-4.5 GHz is readily achievable.

Could you do me a favor? Could you run Passmark with your OCed setup and post the result for both multi- and single core? Thanks. Passmark has a 30 day free evaluation period. Make sure that you turn off any extraneous apps and your antivirus.

Jay

This is an excellent post, very interesting and I'm in the exact same position. Waiting to buy this setup pending the results of this post.

Thanks Rob.

Jim

Jim Vasto

Since june my system has a 5820k at 4.4 Ghz in P3D with 2 Titans in SLI.

This is very stabil. With 1 graphicscard I can run at 4.5 for hours.

I did try at 4.6 Ghz but 1 out of 5 times I was getting a blue screen.

Ad I use photo scenery 6 cores are perfect .

I use AM 4092.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

have sorted out my haswell-e system , one thing its scale on memspeed much more than a thougt.

have a very good retierd bench 5820k in my fsx sim running 4.85ghz 24/7 custom loop.

ddr4 3200mhz cl15.

Gpu Asus 980Strix  1500mhz / boost 1650mhz EK waterblock (custom bios).

Rob,

Thanks. You've confirmed what I've suspected, based on my reading about the Haswell-E/X99 combo. Most of the Haswell-E benchmark articles that are online say that 4.4-4.5 GHz is readily achievable.

Could you do me a favor? Could you run Passmark with your OCed setup and post the result for both multi- and single core? Thanks. Passmark has a 30 day free evaluation period. Make sure that you turn off any extraneous apps and your antivirus.

Jay

Oz

Hi guys, a bit slow on the update, sorry!

I did run passmark the day after Jay's post above, but don't have access to my computer at thge moment - I'll try and get back to it tomorrow so I can post the weblink to the results. Seemed to score very well compared to other processors, from memory the only chips that were better were a bunch of $2000 Xeons. Graphics performance was the main result I remember not being at the top of the default comparisons, due to the choice of 970 rather than 980.

After my last post, I ran into some problems with the watercooler (non functioning fans). In fact, one fan had never been working so the temps I posted earlier were a bit higher than they should have been.

I've stuck with 4.4 GHz as my clock speed. I've seen a couple of comments that an average chip will do 4.5 GHx, so I'm going as little lower to ensure stability. So far, no crashes or problems at all. I did get one lockup the single time that I tried 4.6 Ghz - some chips will run this and I'll try it again sometime with more voltage - but bottom line is that I'm after a simple, practical 24/7 clock speed and 4.4 GHz seems to fit that bill.

Cores: tried performance monitor, and confess I don't quite understand what's going on. One core is always maxed but it seems to vary how much the other cores are used. Will try and post a screenshot when I get back to my computer.

Subjective experience: still loving this with photoscenery. I've downloaded a bunch of the megascenery ultra-res stuff (50cm/pixel with good source imagery, unlike much of the normal megascenery earth). I add the nuvecta trees and it still seems smooth as butter. However, the chip isn't magic - sadly! When I loaded Orbx YMML and cranked things up, it was usable but the smoothness was gone. I might try it with a newer Orbx ariport that's been designed with P3D in mind. One last thing - the performance with REX soft clouds and ASN in very cloudy/overcast conditions seems great - I suspect a combination of better coding in P3D and the addons plus the move to the GTX 970.

Cheers!

Rob

Oz

Overclocking the Hawell-E is another ballgame , not as easy and straigtforward as the 1150.

a 4.4 5820k with 2400mhz mems cl15-16 perform in single tread as a 4.2-4.3 Haswell (4770k-4790k) to get the same single tread performance you need 3000mhz cl15 mems.

Did some tests with my 5820k with exotic cooling , its a good sample. http://valid.canardpc.com/ixp8lq

it have nothing to do with flightsim its my other hobby Overclocking, but it can help to get the sim to run nice.