Sign in to follow this  
KL791

Global AI Ship Traffic FSX and P3D News and Support

Yes, that is correct - increasing above 10 % you will get a bunch of rather ugly and unrealistic FSX ferries - some of the default will be sailing e.g. in Norway and on the North Sea sailing on routes where I have put the real thing:

------------------------------------

WOW...that looks fantastic!   So...10 percent it is...and that's that!  

Again...thank you to you, and the gang behind this project.  Wow....!!!!

Regards to the Great Lakes - I will give it a thought - I found a couple of potential models, so it could maybe become part of the next update if time allows.

-------------------------

That would be really great.  The largest bodies of fresh water in the world...and devoid of marine animation.....ouch!

Thank you for considering this.  Ship traffic happens along the Detroit River between lakes Erie, and St. Clair on a regular basis, both upriver and down.  Same for the Sarnia River between Lake St. Clair and Lake Huron!!!  ^_^

This commercial marine traffic lane..is one of the busiest lanes in the entire world...and would be great by you, to be considered as you route it out.

+45000000 on that. The St. Lawrence seaway which drains the great lakes, registered 45000000 tons of cargo and 3900 traffic movements in 2013. That doesn't include ships that remained in the upper great lakes. Given the upper great lakes are bordered by Ontario in the north and NY OH IN IL WI and MN in the US; total tonnage in all areas would be considerably larger. It is the largest inland shipping operation on the globe and as Sesquashtoo pointed out, one of the busiest anywhere, in the world.

I can see a potential issue where scenery developers go very quiet at the mention of the great lakes. Oceans and mountains are more sexy, mostly deserted and therefore much easier. No criticism, just observation.

Would really put the icing on the cake. There would be no shortage of photography or information available to you. Please forgive the rather long and verbose post. Thanks for what you and your colleagues have done and will do.

St-lawrence seayways and great lakes will be an awsome addition. I lived 12 years on the shore of the river and realized on the first year how the seaway is important for the transportation. Dozens of ships sail this route everyday.

You can find on the link below a lot of information about the seaway and in the gallery section, the list of all ships and fleet that regularly take the seaway.

http://www.boatnerd.com

There is also a book edited yearly about St-Lawrence ship.

http://www.knowyourships.com

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

:smile: Thanks for the links, I feel the collective pressure mounting :Whew:

Thanks for the hard work by you and the rest of the team Henrik, excellent result in FSX!

Do you have any info about how the shiptraffic will deduct VAS or other resources from FSX. If I run 10% in a busy area, will I see any noticable hit on performance or memoryusage?

Cheers,

23.png

More than 90 % of the ships are designed with only two drawcalls and all comments I have got are that they are very light on FPS - there is a few specific models which are more heavy on the system e.g. the French frigate D640, but I have not put them in potentially busy areas like close to major airports or city sceneries. I run FSX and P3D on a laptop and personally I have no impact of the ships.

See also the comment from Sesquashtoo on the previous page.

Hi,

Did you fly down low to check...? At least some of that looks like traces of FSX default leisure boats which are very small and difficult to see from the air... Do you have leisure boats at high in the settings and where did you make the screenshot? The criss crossing of routes is not something you would normally see with my routes, which are mostly parallel and spaced by 500 metres in order to avoid ships from affecting each other or colliding.

Normally I keep my settings at 10 % for ships and ferries and also for leisure boats.

Best regards

Henrik

I think you got it right. My leisure boat slider is around 40 %, will take it down. Thanks!

"...the arm going behind the back....the Godfather making you an offer you 'can not  refuse' "...  Shucks...no pressure....nah.....

Rah, rah, Great Lakes, St. Lawrence Seaway, rah rah!  :lol:

From Nova Scotia...up to White Fish Bay, in Lake Superior!

See also the comment from Sesquashtoo on the previous page.

Correct, I have had no impact to FPS, even when having your traffic within ORBX's San Francisco and Southern California in play.  Each system will vary, and mine is not current tech...and again...no problems.

Using this in P3D...and my "homebase" of Port Angeles KLCM....i take off and see all the traffic plying the waters of the strait of Juan de Fuca.   Really moves the realism and immersion factor up a couple notches. 

Great work from this author. Simply brilliant. And lets hope he has even more surprises up his sleeve.

(only little quibble i have are the ugly wakes in P3D, but im sure there is a fix in the future)

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

KL,

You seem to be holding up quite well under this onslaught. Continuing the shameless plug, here is a link to a report on great lakes shipping:

http://www.greatlakes-seaway.com/en/seaway/facts/tonnage/

I would think that you could get away with a few ship models. Orr and bulk carriers account for about 85% of movements, liquid bulk 8%,general cargo 7%. Here are the maximum dimensions for great lakes ships. Dimensions limited by canals:

Great Lakes / St. Lawrence Seaway (Highway H2O) Facts. Vessel maximum: 225.5 m (740 ft.) length; 23.77 m (78 ft.) beam; 8.08 m (26 ft., 6 in.) draft; 35.5 m (116.5 ft.) height above water. Channels maintained at 8.2 m (27 ft.) minimum depth.

I am originally from St. Catharines ON; the northern terminus of the Welland Canal:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welland_Canal

I imagine that given the large concentration of traffic, selection of routes would be simple. It would not be possible at this time to model ship traffic through the Welland Canal. For all intents and purposes, it doesn't exist in either FSX or P3D. Flight Ontario modelled it (extrememly well I understand) as part of their Toronto package, but it was never ported to FSX. Now if someone were to get permission to port it over, I know about 10 people who would pay serious dollars to get it. Such a shame. No mountains no oceans.

OK...you have weathered the storm quite well. We'll give it a rest. You have my admiration for what you are doing; and my respect for taking the time to listen.

Hi Henrik,

First off, thanks so much for these incredible packages. I've been using them since first release and love it.. A question, I recently added the RTMMAI shipping for the PNW and PFJ as well am wondering if this causes any duplicates.

Again, thank you and to the guys that helped create these masterpieces.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

No, the new package will not create any duplicates nor change anything regards to the RTMMAI project - when we start on the update of the North American routes we will take care not to create any issues between the two projects coverage, routes, and models.

And well - Jean-Pierre and I have discussed the Great Lakes - combining forces we might manage, looking through diverse links and checking todays actual traffic on www.marinetraffic.com we do actually have some relevant models, but we will also need to go back to the shipyard... and time is scarce and holidays over, so no promises.

So has it been decided that 10 percent on the ships slider gives us all of Henrik's ships? Or should it be a larger percentage?

Computer Specs: i5-4690K 3.5 GHz overclocked to 4.0GHz / MSI GTX 960 4GB Video Card / 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 1866MHz DDR3 System RAM / MSI Z97-G45 Motherboard / Crucial MX200 500GB mSATA SSD

No, the new package will not create any duplicates nor change anything regards to the RTMMAI project - when we start on the update of the North American routes we will take care not to create any issues between the two projects coverage, routes, and models.

And well - Jean-Pierre and I have discussed the Great Lakes - combining forces we might manage, looking through diverse links and checking todays actual traffic on www.marinetraffic.com we do actually have some relevant models, but we will also need to go back to the shipyard... and time is scarce and holidays over, so no promises.

Much appreciated.