Sign in to follow this  
rondon9898

ALTN WXR request

Hi everyone,

Just doing a flight from KDEN to EGLL at the moment and was wondering if the WXR Request function in the ALTN page is actually simulated, because I can't seem to get it to do anything. I have AS Next and the en-route winds upload absolutely beautifully (I have no idea how the PMDG 777 does that but it does it very well), as does the descent forecast. I've set my ETOPS alternates and two arrival alternates in the ALTN page but when I press WXR Request, it just says "REQUESTING" the "REQUEST SENT", then nothing else happens.

Anyway, thanks chaps.

Hi everyone,

Just doing a flight from KDEN to EGLL at the moment and was wondering if the WXR Request function in the ALTN page is actually simulated, because I can't seem to get it to do anything. I have AS Next and the en-route winds upload absolutely beautifully (I have no idea how the PMDG 777 does that but it does it very well), as does the descent forecast. I've set my ETOPS alternates and two arrival alternates in the ALTN page but when I press WXR Request, it just says "REQUESTING" the "REQUEST SENT", then nothing else happens.

Anyway, thanks chaps.

You'll need to ensure you enable the function properly in the PMDG SETUP> menus of the CDU. Have a look at the intro manual for additional information.

By default the "INCLUDE ALTNS" function is turned off the WX file options.

Kyle Rodgers

Blimey that was quick Kyle I sometimes think you have an interface that beams these forum messages directly into your brain :P  I shall look at the intro manual again.

Actually Kyle I have INCLUDE ALTNS IN PLAN set but nothing seems to be happening

John Price

Blimey that was quick Kyle I sometimes think you have an interface that beams these forum messages directly into your brain :P I shall look at the intro manual again.

Actually Kyle I have INCLUDE ALTNS IN PLAN set but nothing seems to be happening

John Price

Haha. I was online answering tickets and I usually have the forum up at the same time.

If you have that option on, do you also have the "create FSX Flightplan" and "load FSX Flightplan" options enabled?

It might be better for you to state exactly what you have enabled rather than playing 20 questions. Pictures are always best, too.

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry Kyle I do have a photo here but I'm struggling because I'm afraid I really, really don't understand the PMDG Introduction PDF. I'm sure it's my idiocy as English is my native language and there are no complicated words but I simply can't follow it. :blush:

I have ASNext and PFPX which is taking its weather info from ASNext. What I want to do is export the PFPX flight plan to the 777 (which is done over networked config as ASNext and PFPX are on my laptop, FSX on my PC), insert my ETOPS alternates into the ALTN page and be able to request the weather for them (or, even better, press the ALTN REQUEST button and have them pop up automatically). Are these things possible or have I completely misunderstood?

2015-1-5_17-18-42-70_zpsc3c69784.png

Sorry Kyle I do have a photo here but I'm struggling because I'm afraid I really, really don't understand the PMDG Introduction PDF. I'm sure it's my idiocy as English is my native language and there are no complicated words but I simply can't follow it.

Not much I can do there. Any time I don't understand why I'm not understanding something it's either that I haven't tried hard enough, or I didn't spend enough time trying to figure it out.

That being said, I'll admit that it's not the most entertaining read out there. What, specifically, are you not understanding?

Are these things possible or have I completely misunderstood?

Should be possible, but it's all dependent on your setup.

From here, ensure you have the "Load FSX Flight Plan" option in ASN selected/checked. Once you do that, it should all work.

The whole process is outlined in Tutorial #1.5, actually.

Kyle Rodgers

Your tutorial explains the CREATE AND LOAD TO FSX bit much better than the introduction section and I now have it working Kyle. Also, I've found somewhere else online that you have to save the ASNext weather config file, which the 777 Introduction does not mention. Don't know why but I'm struggling to understand the introduction PDF. Anyway sorted now I think - the ALTN LOAD still doesn't load the ALTNS I set in PFPX though but if I enter my ETOPS alternates in manually, I can load the weather for them using the weather function. Finally I'm using the uplink to its full effect!

Also, I've found somewhere else online that you have to save the ASNext weather config file, which the 777 Introduction does not mention.

This isn't correct. I've never heard this. What are they referring to?

the ALTN LOAD still doesn't load the ALTNS I set in PFPX though

It's not supposed to. The ALTN List in the plane doesn't reference external sources, currently. The point of the ALTN list is to be a dynamic list of airfields relevant at that point in time. Planned alternates are all well and good, but if I have a medical emergency, I couldn't care less about the alternates on the flight plan. I need the closest field that has a long enough runway, which the ALTN list manages for you.

Kyle Rodgers

Ahh now I understand! That's a relief I'm glad to know that's how the ALTN simulation works. 

You need to save the weather config file to pick it up in FSX which is then uplifted to the 777 via the datalink function

You need to save the weather config file to pick it up in FSX which is then uplifted to the 777 via the datalink function

True, ASN settings options include the path to FSX and the path to FSX DOCS but this is pretty generic.

Dan Downs KCRP

I'm confused about what this "weather config file" is. What are you guys referring to?

Kyle Rodgers

Hmm. I've never heard of that, and it's worked just fine for me this whole time.

Kyle Rodgers

You have to go to the weather configuration tab in ASNext and then save the WX file basically.

No you don't. First make sure the 777 Options include loading flightplan to FSX then make sure ASN options to autoload active flightplan (from FSX). This is explained in Intro pg 166. As long as ASN has the FSX application and document directories set correctly the uploading of weather from ASN to 777 is automatic.

Dan Downs KCRP