Sign in to follow this  
Bill A

Fireball instead of smoke

Hi, can anyone tell me how to remove the smoke from the C-130 that seem to be from Military AI Works.  For example last night there was a C-130 that took off after me from San Juan airport during dusk, when I looked at him from higher above it looked like there was a HUGE fire ball after him, I was like that heck is that following the C-130?  I slewed to get closed to him and noticed it was his engine smoke or exhaust effect that for some reason looked like glowing fire from far and when I get really close to him then it looks like smoke.  Is there way to remove that effect for all Military AI Works planes?  This is the first I noticed that.

Thanks all,

Bill

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

is it possible it had a tail strike and the sim loaded the default damage fx file? Ive seen AI aircraft crash before and tail strikes are not uncommon with the idiotic Ai Engine

Signature.png

Follow me on : Instagram

See my Trailer: A Year Of Flight

I should try and load the sim again and see, cause it could have been  a tail strike, but there was smoke coming from all 4 engines and I did not see that annoying spark affect from tail strike 

Asus Tuf Gaming Plus B550 - Asus Ryzen 9 5800X3D - Asus GeForce 4080 RTX OC Edition - 64GB DDR4 Ram 3600Mhz - EVGA 850W Power Supply - 2X 1 TB NVME PCIE gen 4 - Windows 10

check the aircraft.cfg if there is a fx_nicksmokeC130.fx.

If so, edit it and change face=1,1,1 to face=0,0,1 (particle.2)

sorry, I had particle.0 first...

Edited by hgschnell

Hi, can anyone tell me how to remove the smoke from the C-130 that seem to be from Military AI Works.

Hi Bill. First, Please look in your AI C130 aircraft.cfg file(s) for a or the " [sMOKESYSTEM] " section and determine what effect file is called for. Your fix may be as simple as editing that to a different smoke fx type. Or you may choose to remove the " [sMOKESYSTEM] " section completely. AI aircraft - the AI engine do not respond to 'damage', Please recall that if you have the setting(s) in your GUI so that your user aircraft can sustain damage and you are struck by an AI aircraft, for instance while on approach, the AI will continue on its merry way as you crash. Also recall that an AI can sometimes land way short of the runway and can continue over the river, through the woods, through grandmas house and trees to the landing end of the runway and exit as if nothing happened as long as they were lined up with the runway when they touched the ground. When an AI makes what the AI engine deems crash contact with the ground or runway it simply disappears.  What you are seeing may be because of a modified Texture=fx_1.bmp (improperly) by some other installation in the case of the fx_nicksmokeC130 file. The fx_smoke_r uses the Texture=fx_smoke.bmp file.

On all of my AI C130 I seem to use what was called for in the original Henry Tomkiewicz release of the models. So I have most likely edited the MAIW released C130s to correspond to the original.

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0= -5.0, -33.8, 4.0, fx_smoke_r
smoke.1= -5.0, -16.8, 4.0, fx_smoke_r
smoke.2= -5.0,  16.8, 4.0, fx_smoke_r
smoke.3= -5.0,  33.8, 4.0, fx_smoke_r

You might try that if your current aircraft.cfg file(s) calls for:

[sMOKESYSTEM]
smoke.0= -5.0, -33.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.1= -5.0, -16.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.2= -5.0,  16.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.3= -5.0,  33.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130

I hope this helps you out and gets your C130(s) looking better than a bunch of fireballs.

Regards,

Mel, your response brought a good laugh :lol:

I'm almost afraid to ask Rob, but, . . . . . . was that a good laugh or a bad (sarcastic) laugh? I guess with the smiley I might assume good, although I thought I'd ask anyway since I have been mistaken enough once or twice and badly enough to draw a few good yet sarcastic laughs!

I might add that at one time before Henry released his C130s I tried to convert the Mike Stone C130 into an AI. It would gracefully make its approach, land vertically on its tail (rear exit ramp), come to a stop, exit the runway and taxi in to park still standing on the tail. The CG and the contact points, ah well everything was a bit off huh. It was fun to watch though. Fortunately Henry released his a week later so I never did get around to making Mikes work perfectly.

Regards,

Ok will give it a try, I found the C-130 and replaced the smoke system with 

smoke.0= -5.0, -33.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.1= -5.0, -16.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.2= -5.0,  16.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130
smoke.3= -5.0,  33.8, 4.0, fx_nicksmokeC130

Ill "fire" the sim up and see what happens

If you do not edit fx_nicksmokeC130.fx the way I wrote, it wont bring no success...

("Face=1,1,1" to "Face=0,0,1")

ok, did not see the fireball this time, thanks!

I'm almost afraid to ask Rob, but, . . . . . . was that a good laugh or a bad (sarcastic) laugh? I guess with the smiley I might assume good, although I thought I'd ask anyway since I have been mistaken enough once or twice and badly enough to draw a few good yet sarcastic laughs!

I might add that at one time before Henry released his C130s I tried to convert the Mike Stone C130 into an AI. It would gracefully make its approach, land vertically on its tail (rear exit ramp), come to a stop, exit the runway and taxi in to park still standing on the tail. The CG and the contact points, ah well everything was a bit off huh. It was fun to watch though. Fortunately Henry released his a week later so I never did get around to making Mikes work perfectly.

Regards,

Hi Mel, it was a good laugh, the way you described the AI flying merrily on its path made me smile!.

I'm not sure why this post is not marked as answered because hgschnell has supplied the correct answer.

edit the effects file as he says.