Sign in to follow this  
rock and roller

Outside views for FSX-SE

I recently purchased FSX-SE and started it up, to my disappointment that it doesn't include all my favorite outside view commands. If it does I haven't been able to find the commands/assignments after a long fruitless search

The views I mean are the basic ones we get on FSX ie. spot ; locked spot; fly by, top-down. Locked spot is there, but it only has the rear view; right wing; and left wing views of the aircraft. It doesn't have the traditional locked spot view of FSX (where the aircraft is seen just behind the left wing during flight).

I am able to get all the FSX views on P3D using the traditional FSX assignments ("S" and "A" buttons and the NumLock to pan around the aircraft from outside, but I can't get them on FSXSE

Can anyone here enlighten me on how I could get these very important commands with FSX-SE?

Cheers

did u try to rebuild fsx.cfg/fsx-se.cfg? as mine don't encounter issue like yours,is it happen to specific aircraft or  all aircraft?

Muhamad Aliff

Hi Muhamad, it happens with the default aircraft as I haven't added any other aircraft to it yet.

I haven't touched the cfg as I don't want to mess up anything. If I were to edit the cfg, what would i need to change or add?

Hi rock,

I suspect that you're overlooking something.  By default the "S" key changes view categories and "A" selects the different views within a category.  Try pressing "S" and then "A" multiple times until the views begin to repeat.  Once you've seen all the views within a category press "S" to select the next category and then "A" multiple times again until the views repeat once more.  Keep doing this until you've gone through all the available views.  Unless there is a problem you will hit on the views you are looking for.  I have FSX:SE and do not have this problem so it's not normal.

Jim F.

Hi Jim, there is definitely a problem with these commands. I did as you suggested but the only views i get are the ones I mentioned above. I just cant figure out why I have only a few outside views.

Do you think I might have to uninstall and re-install FSX-SE ? Or, are there other options?

Hi,

I'm still a bit confused by your initial post.  When you say "Locked spot is there, but it only has the rear view; right wing; and left wing views" this seems to imply that "Locked Spot" spot view is in the same category as the other views you mention.  It's not.  It should be in the same View category as the Spot, Flyby, Top-Down etc. If it's not there is most likely a problem with the Cameras.cfg file; the one that's down there in the App Data folder with FSX_se.cfg.

This was why I was suspecting that you had simply passed over the multiple views in the appropriate category.

Regarding the number of outside views; This varies by aircraft and some have no outside views and other aircraft have many  These views are defined in the aircraft.cfg file for the particular aircraft.  In a "[CameraDefinition.XXX] the views can have different "Origins".  Outside views have "Center" as the origin and inside views have "Virtual Cockpit" as the origin.  Well there are a few exceptions but not in the default aircraft.

I don't believe a re-install is in order and I think you'll find the cause of the problem by just trying a few things.  I do recommend starting with a known reference such as the C172.  It has 3 VC views and 3 outside views.  AS you cycle through the Views the name will be in the upper left corner of the screen.  Let me know if you see anything that seems to contadict what I've said and we'll go from there.  Probably tomorrow.

Jim F.

I haven't touched the cfg as I don't want to mess up anything. If I were to edit the cfg, what would i need to change or add?

You do the exact same thing as you would do in FSX. Go to your Controller assignments and change those views. Absolutely no difference between FSX/FSX-SE.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you all for your help, however due to utter frustration, I uninstalled FSXSE and will re-install it after work today. I'll see what happens then with this intractable problem.

I hope everything will be a-ok. If not, you'll have to put up with me again:)

Cheers

Hey Jim, thanks for the heads up regarding the Camera.cfg.

I checked it and it was empty, there was absolutely nothing printed in it. So I Googled "camera.cfg fsx default"; copied and pasted the default text into my Camera.cfg file and now everything is back to normal.

Cheers.