Sign in to follow this  
gfd

Controller Disconnect

Greetings,

I was hoping I could get some help with an issue that has been ongoing. I should have brought this up previously...sry.

I am quite happy with the performance of LINDA. There is always more to learn, but I'm getting along.

I use a Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel (isn't that a mouthful). I also use FS-Force force feedback software with an MS Sidewinder joystick. FS-Force is amazing...hope you'll allow the shameless plug.

The way it works is all of the elevator trim assignments in P3D, FSUIPC and LINDA are deleted (if they exist). The trim wheel is assigned in the FS-Force config file. FS-Force intercepts the trim wheel input and applies a real world trim sensation to the joystick, actually changing the 'at rest' point in the elevator axis. It is really very good. This is not another plug, just an illustration.

It works quite well until this happens in ~60% of my flights:

-the trim wheel is rotated

-the simulator pauses

-a warning message from LINDA pops up

-the message is dismissed

-FS-Force is no longer in control of the trim wheel

-control of the trim wheel by FS-Force can only be re-established by restarting P3D

-this is consistently repeatable. I should point out that if I then assign the trim wheel in either P3D or FSUIPC; the trim wheel inputs trim changes into the simulator

-the above behaviour is consistent

I am not sure why LINDA is concerned with a controller that has one axis and no buttons. Perhaps LINDA senses the controller because it exists.

The way to avoid this situation is to rotate the trim wheel several times before loading an aircraft. This usually, but not always, works. I thought of deleting any reference in LINDA to the trim wheel, but in checking the config-hid.lua file in linda-cfg\system, I noticed there is no entry for the controller. I also checked a couple of hid files in the aircraft folder.

Is there any way I can make this go away? I do not always remember to 'prime' the trim wheel before loading a flight. In any event, that does not always work. Perhaps it is a quirk in the trim wheel driver or...what; I don't know. But FS-Force consistently recognizes the spinning of the wheel, and trims the aircraft, until LINDA intervenes.

In looking at the log (with my limited understanding  :huh:  ), I noticed that while the LINDA log recognized the rudder pedals, there was no mention of the trim wheel. However, there is a weird device listed: CRCA102*AF1=0764/0501 4. I am only mentioning this as I wonder if that is some coded reference to the trim wheel, which is listed. Then perhaps, LINDA says 'ah that is the trim wheel' and intervenes thereby annoying FS-Force, which then takes its ball and goes home. I am just wondering out loud. There is no mention of this entry in the FSUIPC log.

I have uploaded a screenshot of the warning message and a copy of linda2.log to Dropbox. Here is the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p9ht7x1brfqoh5y/AAAZ4o6ZZ1tl9JQroO_0ne8oa?dl=0

Your usual excellent support and insight are greatly appreciated.

Hi Graham

Thank you for your long post. I will try to work through your questions and I apologise if I miss anything.

I got myself a Cessna Trim Wheel but sent it back as I could not get it to work with X-Plane. Long story.

The Device Disconnected warning you are receiving is because Windows and therefore LINDA is losing communication with the device. I would check you connections and possibly your hardware (it/they may be faulty). I would try it with your force feedback set up to see that the problem is not linked.

I understand your confusion about the Trim Wheel. The device is not a wheel or axis, it is a 2-button device with one for trim up and one for trim down. Your point that rotating the trim wheel 'several times' may indicate that the buttons are 'ageing' and becoming dirty. I doubt that the buttons get exercised a great deal in use.

Can you send me a screenshot of the Joystick set up page and a copy of your config-hid.lua file (as links - please avoid cut and paste into the thread)?

Your mystery device is your UPS battery! It is just one of the USBs connected to your systems. LINDA will ignore it.

I hope this helps.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

LINDA Support/Developer - VATSIM and BAVirtual - Airbus Flyer

i7 1TB SSD GTX980 - FSX/P3D - Aerosoft Airbus A318/A319/A320/A321 - FS2Crew

Thanks Andrew,

Just a couple things. The trim wheel is seen as an axis by FSUIPC...-16383 to 16383. Prior to setting it up in FSForce, it was assigned and calibrated in FSUIPC. It does not exist in LINDA. The item is relatively new. I will add the file(s) you requested to the Dropbox folder. I will also run P3D without LINDA and see if the disconnect occurs.

Thanks for the reply and the info on the UPS! Please forgive the long post.

Hi Graham

I stand corrected on the Trim Wheel. Looking at your linda2.log file it is and will be detected as a joystick by LINDA. Can you go to the Summary / Setup Joysticks and how many axes, buttons, hat are reported for it?  I expect it to say axes: 1, buttons: 0, hats: 0.

Thinking more of your problem. I suspect it is your MS Force Feedback joystick - or a combination of it and the Trim Wheel - that are becoming disconnected (even momentarily) from your system that is triggering the error.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I expect it to say axes: 1, buttons: 0, hats: 0.

Hi Andrew,

Yes the trim wheel is reported as you suggested. I had another disconnect. I closed then reopened P3D, and ran without LINDA. I rolled the wheel for about 2 minutes. FSForce and the trim wheel worked continuously. I then opened joy.cpl and rolled the trim wheel for about a minute. No disconnect. It seems as though if LINDA goes away, the disconnect goes away. If Windows is losing the trim wheel, it only does so when LINDA is opened. Also, it does not matter which aircraft is loaded.

Perhaps the clue is that if the wheel is rolled a number of times before a flight is loaded, usually the disconnect does not occur. That is just an uneducated guess. Is it possible to tell LINDA to only recognize certain controllers, have it ignore controllers without buttons or allow the user to designate controllers that should be transparent to LINDA? I uploaded the updated LINDA log and the FSUIPC log.

Thanks for looking in on this.

Update. After some off line investigation, Frank has confirmed that the Saitek Trim was randomly disconnecting from Windows and this was being detected by LINDA. LINDA is working correctly in this case.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I'm having kind of the same issue. However I know that I'm creating it but looking for a way to have the error ignored.

I've got 2 PCs running 5 screens. My number 4 screen which is setup as an overhead. Does double duty with the secondary PC that runs ASN, FS and others. To save desk space I'm using a single USB keyboard and mouse connected to both systems with a keyboard switch.

Issue I'd everytime I switch the keyboard mouse between PCs, Linda gives me warning about a device disconnect/connect which kicks FSX out of full screen mode back to windows desktop.

Is there anyway to get around this? I don't care about the error coming up, the real issue is getting bounced back to the desktop everytime.

I do not use LINDA or FSUIPC to control hardware, but I have consistently had the same problem with the trim wheel. Easiest solution I use is after I set up the flight I unplug the trim wheel usb cord and plug it back in immediately. Had to switch to an accessible USB on the front of the computer for easy access. Has worked every time for last several months and became part of of my startup flight routine, as trying to find a permanent solution was taking more time than the unplug/plug in routine.

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

Hi Guys

As currently implemented, the LINDA HID device handling is responding to an interrupt caused by a HID being connected or disconnected in the same way that Windows gives that annoying bong sound. In reality it should only affect a device that can be handled to LINDA (ie. joystick, hotas, panel, etc - one that has buttons).  

If a device being used disconnects then LINDA will remove it from its processing queue and shows the message. A new device connecting produces the dialog box.  Perhaps the message could simply be displayed on the FSX screen if LINDA is not the current active app.

If this HID device is not a joystick (ie. a keyboard), then there is no need to display the message at all. I welcome your comments on the best option for users.

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

If this HID device is not a joystick (ie. a keyboard), then there is no need to display the message at all. I welcome your comments on the best option for users.

Yup that's my issue. Not a HID device, just simply the keyboard and mouse being disconnected by the keyboard switch. So yes, I wouldn't see a need for this message to display.

Hi guys,

I had a similar problem with my usb joystick, rudder etc and I was able to cure all these disconnects as follows:

Go in:

Control panel

System

Device manager

Universal serial bus controllers

double click on Generic USB Hub

Power Management, and disable Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

I hope it will help, it worked for me on my PC.

Regards,

Alex

Think that LINDA should ignore controllers over which it has no control ie controllers with no buttons or hats; rudder pedals, trim wheels, etc. If there is concern about doing that arbitrarily, perhaps checkbox(es) in joystick setup to exclude those controllers on an item by item basis.

Just my 2 cents, I also have problems with saitek trim,  windows doesn't see the trim ever until I move a bit, so now I always move the trim before I start  LINDA or even FSX.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Hi angeli662

When you say Windows sometimes does not recognise the trim wheel are you saying it does register with Windows Device Manager until you turn the wheel? Do you see the LINDA device connected dialog at this point?

Andrew Gransden

Scotland, UK

I just want to chime in one more time. This is not a LINDA issue. The Saitek trim wheel drops out on first use every time Windows is started. Currently, the only way around this is to roll the wheel a few times before starting <simultator> and or LINDA. I have contacted MadKatz and hopefully there will be a resolution from that end.