Sign in to follow this  
Camsdad13

Convince me that I should reinstall FSX or Purchase FSX:SE

I've been swimming since the 80's. I've lurked around here for years under different user names. I've contributed freeware but quit doing that. I received my copy of FSX before the release date. Bottom line it was a pig. I've reinstalled once in a while when snake oil hacks would get the community jumping with similar results. I have a modern machine I-7 with 16gb of ram and an nvidia 7 series card with Nick's tweaks Along with others. Guess what, FSX is still a pig. I keep going back to FS2004 that has ran flawless for years with max settings and a ton of add ons. I remember the days of every driver upgrade people would come on here raving about the FPS increase. I remember every time Pete released a new FSUIPC, people would come on here raving about the huge FPS increase. With every tweak I've got the same results. I bogged down flight sim that isn't enjoyable. Why should I spend the money for FSX:SE? I paid $60. 8 years ago for FSX that is worthless. I don't like being negative but this has been fact for me. I've thought about P3D but people still have in consistent flying just like we still do years after FSX.

I've been swimming since the 80's

Thats what happens when you swim for several decades. You might drown! Get outta the dang water and dry off!  :lol: 

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Ha ha ha . Sometimes I think my iPad's auto correct rode the short bus

My current machine is overclocked to 4.03 ghz and still can't run FSX as it should. Fs9 is smooth as glass.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Been experimenting with P3D (Might get a refund) and its really getting disappointing how the program bogs down as you turn up the effects. Effects that more modern programs (like War Thunder) handle without a blink on significantly weaker machines.

I can run FSX/P3D "acceptably" which means at least 30FPS with most things turned up, but........ Bleah.

The whole setup with all the addons is getting really rube-goldberg, and the program is just really showing its age.  :unsure:

Even with the third parties heroically shoring up the tent, its getting past time for something new.

I mess with FS9 from time to time and dream of FSX running as well with all its addons. In the end I would say "If you're happy, stay where you are!"

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Sounds like FS9 is the right sim for you!

Why fix it if it aint broken?  B)

Bert

I am always amused by folks who ask others to convince them of something.

Plain and simple FSX does require some TLC to get her to work well.  There are a couple amazing guides available for you to do just that.  If you really care about having a better product you will need to demonstrate and implement some patience in the process of "tweaking" your FSX to suit your PC.  We have all had to do this.

By today's standard my PC is a dinosaur. I have an old i7920 3 ghz machine.  16 gigs RAM,  1.7gig GTX260 video card. I run two monitors one 40" one 23".  I have over 650 gigs of flightsim data, 700 layers of scenery files, hundreds of planes - freeware and payware.  I have my FSX setting set to max or close to max (I back off of autogen and traffic a bit now and then to get performance levels I can live with).  I use old drivers for my video card because I don't need the new ones and new one's cause havic with my FSX.  Currently using NVidia 3d 296.1 Drivers.

I get 20-30 fsp pretty much everywhere except, large urban sprawl and select sceneries (ie Vancouver + v3 is a hog).

Good things come to those who work at it.

Cheers

Bryan

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

I have a modern machine I-7 with 16gb of ram and an nvidia 7 series card with Nick's tweaks Along with others. Guess what, FSX is still a pig.

Fsx should run very well on that rig, I have a lowly i5 2500k@4.6 with a GTX570 and it runs really smooth under DX10, never drops less than 40fps here.

Maybe you want to stick it out with FSX because of the types of planes available that you can't have in FS9?  This is something that hasn't happened yet in the P3D or FSX world, because there are no airplanes that I know of that are exclusively P3D but not FSX yet.

Ha ha ha . Sometimes I think my iPad's auto correct rode the short bus

My current machine is overclocked to 4.03 ghz and still can't run FSX as it should. Fs9 is smooth as glass.

I have similar specs you gave and my FSX runs smooth as glass 98% of the time. I run in DX 10 with Steve's Fixer. FS9 is long forgotten by me and I don't look back. I also recently added DSR which changed the graphics quite noticeably without any loss for me. 

I just noticed you have been with AVSIM for 10 years and have 4,800 plus posts and you can't get FSX to run smooth?  

I appreciate the replies everybody. We all have our own version of smooth. Running at 30fps and having the sim bog down in metro areas isn't my definition of smooth. I don't play game console systems but watch my son. The play is very fluid all the way thru and consistent. I keep wanting to give FSX a chance. FSX-SE still seems to have people with divided results. How dumbed down is individual settings to make things fluid?

I appreciate the replies everybody. We all have our own version of smooth. Running at 30fps and having the sim bog down in metro areas isn't my definition of smooth. I don't play game console systems but watch my son. The play is very fluid all the way thru and consistent. I keep wanting to give FSX a chance. FSX-SE still seems to have people with divided results. How dumbed down is individual settings to make things fluid?

FSX will show you terrain at 4X the resolution of FS9, so yes, that takes more computer power.

If you do not value that.. respectfully, stay with your definition of smooth.

Nothing wrong with FS9!

Bert

Thanks Bert

I'm asking will FSX-SE give solid, fluid, consistent performance flying airliners into complex sceneries with add on weather, 100% traffic, radar contact and complex add on aircraft or is it another hack, tweak or what ever that works for some and not for others?

Thanks Bert

I'm asking will FSX-SE give solid, fluid, consistent performance flying airliners into complex sceneries with add on weather, 100% traffic, radar contact and complex add on aircraft or is it another hack, tweak or what ever that works for some and not for others?

NO, FSX-SE is FSX, repackaged.

Bert

I don't like being negative but this has been fact for me. I've thought about P3D but people still have in consistent flying just like we still do years after FSX.

FSX sucks in all varieties! Try P3D instead. ^_^

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.