Sign in to follow this  
newtie

REX SoftClouds install?

Hi all-

I think I installed this correctly. When I open the Soft Cloud app, I get an instant error. Does this need to be installed into the same directory as Texture Direct (which I have) in order to work correctly?

Thanks,

Mark

better off asking over at the REX forum.After all they are the guys that make it..

once you are verified they will give you some of the best support going.

steve

newtie - not sure if you got this working.

But considering getting it  - but I already have rex4 texture Direct - does it work directly with this program and enhance it?

you don't install it in any of  your rex folders its a separate addon and its not  a patch

But considering getting it - but I already have rex4 texture Direct - does it work directly with this program and enhance it?

Yes it does work well with rex4  you just need to unchecked the low level clouds in your rex4 options

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Pete thanks for the feedback just got it!

Also couple more questions

1)For Rex clouds - have disabled low clouds in REX Direct and installed the soft clouds - but what should you select in P3Dv2 weather options in game - weather themes(if yes which gives the best effect?) or user defined? - and how should you run it with Active Sky Next? (note so far it seems to give a really nice effect although I noticed it can give a kind of 2 layer cloud effect the low ones can be dark and fluffy but at medium level they appear white and a bit rigid?!)

2)Also when I went into rex4 I got prompted to do an update to the latest textures (done many times before) - however my virus software (G Data) told me this time the website for the update is blocked! and the update won't run even when I disable my virus software I still get the error message - anyone any ideas on how to solve this one?

With your question 1 sorry I don't have p3dv2  but sure that some has  will advise, with fsx  if it the same  set clouds to detail.   you could change some settings in asn cloud settings just got to see what works for you.

In q2  you might try and go to the rex forum and go to the update section for  rex4  and download  from there making sure you download the right one for your current build if you still having issues post it in the rex forum or  have a look thru the posts and maybe you will find some post that's resembles your issue?

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Pete thanks for the feedback just got it!

1. Simple in P3D go into customize weather menu then play with different clouds choices and then try like 7/8 broken - then let it run for a bit - then load up a Orbx theme you should now see some nice clouds - let it settle in you will see a difference - make sure you delete your shaders folder everytime you change textures - ask if you dont know how to do this

2. Shut down your anti-virus while updating - no reason why this will not work

Rich Sennett

- make sure you delete your shaders folder everytime you change textures

Really?

Not that it should be a problem, but where have you seen this advice, Rich? If this had been adopted as standard practice I would have expected the good folks at REX to be including this in their user manuals. I doubt whether it is necessary when substituting textures. Perhaps it's more relevant if you change stuff like the displayed resolution or fiddle with values in the cloud.fx file.

I must say I do tend to delete the shaders folder from time to time, but often question whether I really need to.... and it does delay the startup time when the sim is run immediately following the deletion.

Regards,

Mike

Really?

Mike common practice - has nothing to do with just REX - tons of posts on this - many times if I didnt do this sim is just not right - so that little bit of a wait is nothing compared to your sim not up to par - maybe Rob will chime in - pretty sure He will tell you the same thing

Rich Sennett

make sure you delete your shaders folder everytime you change textures - ask if you dont know how to do this

Rich  I take its the same with fsx  and do you delete both shaders folders being   shaders folder and shaders10 folder

Peter kelberg

Rich  I take its the same with fsx  and do you delete both shaders folders being   shaders folder and shaders10 folder

Thats a good question - I am not sure - I never did in FSX

Rich Sennett

Thats a good question - I am not sure - I never did in FSX

Not sure if I remember this correctly, but didn't we have to increment by 1 the value of an entry in FSX.cfg to force a recompile of the shaders?

It was recommended we did this every time certain changes were made to FSX.cfg but, again, I forget the detail....just as I would like to repress any memories of all that challenging (wasted?) time fighting with FSX until ‘Bojote’ Altuve’s excellent Tweaking and Tuning tool came along. Thereafter no further changes were made, or needed, to the configuration file. Fortunately, the same tool could be employed in Prepar3D v1.4. That's still installed with all my UK Photoscenery :)

BTW I tried to include 'Bojote's' given name, but the editor/forum filter intercepted and substituted with *****. Why, for goodness sake? Whose sensibilities would this offend? After all, it is his name!

Mike

It seems to me that with REX soft clouds the  cloud shadows in P3D have nearly vanished.

I was wondering the same thing - had a hard time noticing them - thought it was just me

Rich Sennett