Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Farhadi

VATSIM : Is it that Crowded every Sunday evening?

Hi All,

Recently i joined VATSIM and i wasn't satisfied with the amount of traffic and online ATC(comparing to IVAO),but tonight(at the moment that i'm typing this new topic),VATSIM is rocking!!! i actually didn't understand that what was the exact reason for this.
Wanted to ask from you pros at PMDG and other,that is every sunday eve this crowded in VATSIM?!

p.s. sorry for posting this topic here,but the last vatsim related topic was inactive and VATSIM part of the avsim comm was sleep.

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Answer is simple - this is weekend :) Both networks (VATSIM and IVAO) are quite crowded, especially afternoons and early nights at Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. To be honest they should be join to one network, but it is only my dream. Try to imagine 2000 pilots and hundreds of controllers together, not only during annual Crowded Skies events...

I flew into KORD yesterday and it was pretty busy.  I saw 5 aircraft parked at the C gates, which suprised me.   I also think when the weather isn't that great it draws people.  KORD was getting snow, which did make it fun.

Chris B. Trane

I also think when the weather isn't that great it draws people.

That's definitely true. I've been controlling Washington Center with a hurricane coming up the coast and there are usually more people on.

Kyle Rodgers

That's definitely true. I've been controlling Washington Center with a hurricane coming up the coast and there are usually more people on.

Yeah...during Sandy I was looking out the window of my house watching the rain go sideways and flying into IAD.  I then popped up to JFK.  It was pretty ridiculous but loads of fun.

Chris B. Trane

Yeah...during Sandy I was looking out the window of my house watching the rain go sideways and flying into IAD.  I then popped up to JFK.  It was pretty ridiculous but loads of fun.

I probably talked to you at some point then. I remember being on for Sandy and a few others.

Kyle Rodgers

I was about to start a new topic in Avsim titled "I am having a Ball" but I will just do it here. I have been simming since 2002 and recently joined Avsim. I can't for the life of me figure out why it took so long. I had been getting bored with FSX and this has kicked it ten for. I flew my first couple of flights with my NGX this past weekend using current plans from Flightaware. I need to updated my Nav info and will but it is close. I am also looking into PFPX and TOPCAT. Not sure if I will be getting TOPCAT due to finances. Saturday I flew from my home KCMH to KCVG in my T210 and had controllers from start up to shut down. I did not ever think I would see a controller at KCMH as it is not close to what you would call any type of HUB. I am continually surprised at how realistic this is. I was told by center on my way to KMIA to descend and cross a certain waypoint at and maintain 13,000. That is real world flight. Gave me Goosebumps as tried my best with speed brakes all out and dropping like a rock after I delayed my decent too long and realized that my cruise was too high (But I made it). Too Kool!!

My only fear is that the only thing that I will get done is flying lol.    

Had the opportunity to fly online for the first time in a very long while over the festive season and I did manage to get quite a bit of ATC in some areas.   Was a bit rusty since I don't get to fly online so much these days anymore, but whenever I do, it just lifts the realism another few notches which I always appreciate.

I remember that I always use to fly a nice ten or eleven hour long haul flight from say FAOR to EGLL and timed it to descend and land into EGLL at around 19H00 - 20H00 GMT on Saturdays and Sundays and it used to be a high activity time, ATC firing instructions to all the different aircraft, almost like the real airspace in and around EGLL.   What made it even more demanding and more fun, was that EGLL was just one of many airports which would be brimmed with traffic and the centre controllers were having a great time with all the traffic.   Miss that a lot!

What I used to really enjoy also were the flights in Concorde from EGLL to KJFK and back.   Man, sometimes KJFK traffic was crazy and the ATC did an excellent job in slowing us down and getting us into patterns for landing.   

Okay, okay enough of this - I might just have to go and fire up an online flight right now lol!

Kind regards.

Thank you all for being so much kind and giving me (us) your opinions! would consider these next time when i'm planning to perform an online flight,thanks again;still will be glad to share your experiences and impressions from VATSIM,IVAO and other online flying networks.

Best Regards

Captain Hamzeh Farhadi

A320 TRI/TRE at Iran Air

Depends also where you fly, VATSIM is busier with aircraft over North America vs IVAO has more aircraft over Europe.

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Yes, it would be beneficial to everyone if they merged networks!

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Yes, it would be beneficial to everyone if they merged networks!

If you read into the history of the two networks that will never happen. Satco was the older and only network until its BOG had several disagreements which resulted in the formation of VATSIM and I

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

If you read into the history of the two networks that will never happen. Satco was the older and only network until its BOG had several disagreements which resulted in the formation of VATSIM and I

Yeah :huh:  Welcome on planet Earth... :blush:

That's really two bad- sounds like those people need to get with the program. It's all about accurate and realistic coverage, and bringing traffic levels up. 

Although, I have my beefs with VATSIM as well... 

1) no voice unicom. That's... strange.

2) and why do I have to contact NY_APP to get "taxi clearance" from a class D airport, or takeoff clearance. I should get a simple hold for release, or void time-if-not-off-by, just like in the real world if the class D tower was closed.

PilotEdge is well worth it! 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

That's really two bad- sounds like those people need to get with the program. It's all about accurate and realistic coverage, and bringing traffic levels up. 

Although, I have my beefs with VATSIM as well... 

1) no voice unicom. That's... strange.

2) and why do I have to contact NY_APP to get "taxi clearance" from a class D airport, or takeoff clearance. I should get a simple hold for release, or void time-if-not-off-by, just like in the real world if the class D tower was closed.

PilotEdge is well worth it! 

Yes the no voice unicom is slightly strange but I understand the reasoning behind it. Not all pilots are capable of receiving voice coms so if someone is broadcasting all their intentions on voice then there will be some pilots who cannot hear that information.

As for your second point I guess it depends on what time it is and the ARTCC SOPs are. I am a controller for the Miami ARTCC and our policy says that whatever the airport's real life hours are is when we will serve the airport. So, for example, Albert Whitted Field (KSPG) in St. Petersburg is a Class D in the Tampa TRACON and the tower is only open from 0700-2100 local time so between 2100-0700 if someone flies out of there they will not have ATC service until they come into the Class B.

Samuel Scully