Sign in to follow this  
Capt. Farhadi

VATSIM : Is it that Crowded every Sunday evening?

Yes the no voice unicom is slightly strange but I understand the reasoning behind it. Not all pilots are capable of receiving voice coms so if someone is broadcasting all their intentions on voice then there will be some pilots who cannot hear that information.

As for your second point I guess it depends on what time it is and the ARTCC SOPs are. I am a controller for the Miami ARTCC and our policy says that whatever the airport's real life hours are is when we will serve the airport. So, for example, Albert Whitted Field (KSPG) in St. Petersburg is a Class D in the Tampa TRACON and the tower is only open from 0700-2100 local time so between 2100-0700 if someone flies out of there they will not have ATC service until they come into the Class B.

Ah that does make sense- accessibility is always a good thing. 

Thanks for the tip. I had an interesting situation where I was actually with a student and chose to use VATSIM out of DXR. The standard IFR stuff that happens is a left turn to CMK with an initial climb to 3000ft. We took off and contacted NY inbound to carmel... the controller really got on our case about departing without a clearance, even though we were still in VFR conditions. I mean, got on our case to the point where it was a little theatrical, and it seemed he was "trying to be VERY New York."

In other cases- it has been welcome to get services/separation services all the way to an instrument approach to a satellite airport. I'm always amazed at how you guys are able to be familiar with so many places and still keep "the picture." 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

I am also looking into PFPX and TOPCAT. Not sure if I will be getting TOPCAT due to finances.

If finances are tight you might consider buying TOPCAT and using Simbrief for flight planning. It's a free online OFP service that does most of what PFPX gives you. You could always get PFPX later if you feel the need. The only important thing Simbrief doesn't do is plan a route. However it will suggest a route if other users have entered that airport pair. If no route is suggested (often several variations come up) then I use routefinder to find one.

ki9cAAb.jpg

If finances are tight you might consider buying TOPCAT and using Simbrief for flight planning. It's a free online OFP service that does most of what PFPX gives you. You could always get PFPX later if you feel the need. The only important thing Simbrief doesn't do is plan a route. However it will suggest a route if other users have entered that airport pair. If no route is suggested (often several variations come up) then I use routefinder to find one.

Yeah, this is what I use and never needed anything else!    Simbrief is actually an incredible utility and it is free of charge.

Kind regards

Thanks for the tip. I had an interesting situation where I was actually with a student and chose to use VATSIM out of DXR. The standard IFR stuff that happens is a left turn to CMK with an initial climb to 3000ft. We took off and contacted NY inbound to carmel... the controller really got on our case about departing without a clearance, even though we were still in VFR conditions. I mean, got on our case to the point where it was a little theatrical, and it seemed he was "trying to be VERY New York."

He was talking about a takeoff clearance. DXR is a towered field. You need a takeoff clearance whether the conditions are terrible, or you can see clear over to Nantucket.

It usually depends on the level and experience of controller, though. I used to get pretty upset when people did things without my instruction when it was required and only a tower controller, but over time I stopped caring unless it's my main three (IAD, DCA, BWI).

Kyle Rodgers

He was talking about a takeoff clearance. DXR is a towered field. You need a takeoff clearance whether the conditions are terrible, or you can see clear over to Nantucket.

It usually depends on the level and experience of controller, though. I used to get pretty upset when people did things without my instruction when it was required and only a tower controller, but over time I stopped caring unless it's my main three (IAD, DCA, BWI).

Oh yes of course. After his tirade, explaining that I'd get clearance from the tower, and not approach (him)- and thinking this is how it worked in our pretend vatsim world, didn't allay his irritation. Oh well... it was just the timing (and his trying to be "new york"), and I had a student with me paying god knows what for PCATD time. 

Kevin: Simbrief is awesome! Thank You. I flew with it a few times yesterday. I do have a question about the Airac cycles. Are they just for use in Simbrief or is there a way to download the free cycle to my FMS? I can not find one and 1303 is two years earlier than what I have. 

Kevin: Simbrief is awesome! Thank You. I flew with it a few times yesterday. I do have a question about the Airac cycles. Are they just for use in Simbrief or is there a way to download the free cycle to my FMS? I can not find one and 1303 is two years earlier than what I have. 

There's no way to download the cycle to the FMS. They're completely different data sets anyway.

Simbrief gives you a free cycle for signing up (if I recall correctly, it's super old, but it'll get you started). Updating it is just like updating your FMC data. If you have Navigraph data, click over to manual install on the website, and then scroll down in the list (as if you were updating your FMC data) and look for Simbrief. Download the file (it's just a text file) and in there will be a code to unlock the current AIRAC on Simbrief.

I believe the manager tool will be able to do this for you, too, but I don't remember specifically.

Kyle Rodgers

There's no way to download the cycle to the FMS. They're completely different data sets anyway.

Simbrief gives you a free cycle for signing up (if I recall correctly, it's super old, but it'll get you started). Updating it is just like updating your FMC data. If you have Navigraph data, click over to manual install on the website, and then scroll down in the list (as if you were updating your FMC data) and look for Simbrief. Download the file (it's just a text file) and in there will be a code to unlock the current AIRAC on Simbrief.

I believe the manager tool will be able to do this for you, too, but I don't remember specifically.

Thanks Kyle. That is what I thought. I do not have a Navigraph subscription yet. Should be getting it next week. Just wondering if there was something I was missing (Not that I ever do) in the meantime. 

Thanks Kyle. That is what I thought. I do not have a Navigraph subscription yet. Should be getting it next week. Just wondering if there was something I was missing (Not that I ever do) in the meantime. 

Welcome! It's well worth it, honestly (regardless of providers, though in full disclosure, I use Navigraph).

Kyle Rodgers

Oh yes of course. After his tirade, explaining that I'd get clearance from the tower, and not approach (him)- and thinking this is how it worked in our pretend vatsim world, didn't allay his irritation. Oh well... it was just the timing (and his trying to be "new york"), and I had a student with me paying god knows what for PCATD time. 

I didn't see this quite so 'clearly' mentioned, so I just thought I'd point it out - the trick with facilities on VATSIM is to think in terms of 'hierarchy' of control - if NY APP is on, but DXR tower is not and DXR is within NY APP's area of operation - then APP will control all the 'lower' facilities (twr, gnd, del, as appropriate) for airports within its area of operation. This, of course, is up to the controller and their workload for their "primary" position, but that's why the APP controller had a cow (and unfortunately some guys can be a little rough on VATSIM "newbies", which is just to the detriment of the network as a whole!)

These days on VATSIM, if I'm not sure whether someone's controlling a facility I'm at I'll just ask. Better clarifying than getting the ol' New York Treatment you were privy to! ;)

Ron,

In addition to what Kyle said just now, I asked simbrief about the free cycle they provide and they told me they will occasionally update it to something more recent. Also once you assign a cycle you have bought from Navigraph it will always remain available to use (they used to only allow the two most recent AIRAC cycles plus the free one). So now you can always keep Simbrief in sync with the latest AIRAC cycle you own, however old it is. Unfortunately any free AIRAC cycles you get with addons can't be added.

Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

I didn't see this quite so 'clearly' mentioned, so I just thought I'd point it out - the trick with facilities on VATSIM is to think in terms of 'hierarchy' of control - if NY APP is on, but DXR tower is not and DXR is within NY APP's area of operation - then APP will control all the 'lower' facilities (twr, gnd, del, as appropriate) for airports within its area of operation. This, of course, is up to the controller and their workload for their "primary" position, but that's why the APP controller had a cow (and unfortunately some guys can be a little rough on VATSIM "newbies", which is just to the detriment of the network as a whole!)

These days on VATSIM, if I'm not sure whether someone's controlling a facility I'm at I'll just ask. Better clarifying than getting the ol' New York Treatment you were privy to! ;)

Thanks for tip!