Sign in to follow this  
BigMacblue

A question about VAS and OOM's

This may seem like a stupid question but then again, I'm always told that there are no such things as stupid questions, only stupid answers.  Anyway, this question is directed at those learned software engineers out there - is it possible to write a "plugin" that can encourage a "programme" to release VAS?  We have so many fantastic "add ons" that run fluently alongside or inject into the sim and manage themselves into making the sim behave in a way that we dictate EZDok, GSX, ASN and of course FSUIPC amongst others, all of which were never part of the original ACES code.  Why do we not have one for this issue yet? Is it impossible? I hope that in the very near future someone creates a solution of this nature since it appears that the more permanent solution of a 64bit version, X Plane aside, is in a galaxy far far away. 

Looking forward to the replies.

How would you expect such an external  program to determine which area of VAS the application should release?

If this could be done, the P3D team would have done it.

The FSX-SE team claim they have improved it some.. the jury is out on how much.

Bert

The OP is refering to a "plugin". Obviously, those like P3D and FSX-SE with access to the source code can attempt to change it. Any such attempt may depend on how well written the source was written.

The chaps that brought us FS Fiber Accelerator are cautiously optimistic they may have a solution.

Read more here. http://forum.simflight.com/topic/77844-people-to-the-moon-but-not-the-oom-in-fsx/

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The OP is refering to a "plugin". Obviously, those like P3D and FSX-SE with access to the source code can attempt to change it. Any such attempt may depend on how well written the source was written.

Your point being... ?

Bert

Your point being... ?

There is a difference between  a 3-third party patch, which the OP seems refer to, and authorised changes  to the original source code .

I'd be expecting that due to intellectual property rights it would have to be an external program, not a patch since Dovetail / LM / Microsoft or whoever would have to provide access to the source code.  How did Peter Dowson get FSUIPC to delve so deeply into the program though?  I don't have the answers to these questions, I'm a Master Mariner with a curious wondering of how difficult, given the fantastic addons that we already have, such a program would be to write?  I just don't believe that it's impossible. 

UK copyright law accepts making changes in a program to correct errors - if OOM is an error..

(2) It may, in particular, be necessary for the lawful use of a computer program to copy it or adapt it for the purpose of correcting errors in it.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/section/50C

I understand that Adam Szofran of Microsoft  was the author of original FS6IPC, and Peter Dowson picked up from there and created FSUIPC and given the neccessary support from its developers.

Without source code I believe it world be verry difficult, if not impossible.

I'd say, keep an eye on LM and Dovetail, those guys are not amateurs, and they are well aware of the VAS issues.

Bert