Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Signing Posts

I promoted my post to this forum

The rules about signing  names seem totally inconsistent here.

I couldn't continue to post on a PMDG thread and asked  AVSIM why:

"Why can't I  post in "We want a new PMDG MD-11!". All I did  was to comment on the few members who wanted a new PMDG MD-11. Is that a breach of the ToS?.

Gerry Howard"

AVSIM's reply was:

"PMDG removed the topic because the topic starter did not sign his full name.  Not a breach of the AVSIM ToS but a breach of PMDG rules. PMDG has decided to get very strict with this policy.

Best regards,

Jim Young / Forums Director | AVSIM Online!
http://www.avsim.com"

You could have fooled me!

For the avoidance doubt, my post was properly signed with my full names.

For the avoidance doubt, my post was properly signed with my full names.

What's your point, Gerry?

The very first post of the thread was unsigned. If you hide the first post, the thread disappears for non-admins. Looking through the thread, your posts are not hidden in the thread, so you can stop taking it personally (here and in the other thread).

The rule is the rule. Your posts are signed, so there's no reason to worry or get upset.

Kyle Rodgers

This has always been the rule in the PMDG forum.  I don't post here very often, but I do read a lot.  It seems to always be an ongoing battle for the moderators.  I don't know why they want it, but I like the privilege of posting here so I sign my name, it's not a big deal.

I just find it fascinating that in topics like that other one, there's the one fellow who was told 3 or 4 times to sign his name, still never did yet his posts are still there...

Seems like the PMDG folks are actually way too lenient. 

Anyway, I guess it's not my place to enforce the rules.

Jeff Calder

I don't know why they want it,

From the post in the main part of the forum:

We require this for several reasons - first and foremost we feel that it fosters a more respectful and cordial atmosphere when people speak to each other knowing who is behind each post instead of a psuedonym. I wouldn't walk up to someone in person and introduce myself as "Tabs"... Secondly, this is unfortunate but we do have a sizable number of pirates asking (sometimes even demanding outright) support for products they stole from us. Seeing names attached to support requests allows us to verify that the request is legitimate.

Basically:

Cordiality and anti-piracy.

Kyle Rodgers

What's your point, Gerry?

It's very simply the inconsistency of PMDG's rules. The rules exist and should t be enforced. they make no  distinction between initial and subsequent posts.

Yet an ntial poster doesn't sign according to the rules and the total thread is deleted. Other posters doesn't sign and their posts still stand. Is that consistency.

The recent post "Signing posts in this forum... an overview for enforcement..." on 21 December 2014 said, among other things,

Here is what you can expect if you fail to sign your name to your posts in this forum:

First Offense:  Removal of your post and a warning which will remain active for 60 days.

It's very simply the inconsistency of PMDG's rules. The rules exist and should t be enforced. they make no  distinction between initial and subsequent posts.

Yet an ntial poster doesn't sign according to the rules and the total thread is deleted. Other posters doesn't sign and their posts still stand. Is that consistency.

The recent post "Signing posts in this forum... an overview for enforcement..." on 21 December 2014 said, among other things,

Gerry,

Going through every post here takes a lot of time. Some posts are signed, while some are not. Others still are signed but not with real names, making them tougher to spot. Going through and removing every post takes a reasonable amount of effort by the moderators, and sometimes I'd prefer to answer someone's question instead of running through posts.

If there were only a handful of posts all day to have a look at, that would be one thing. We'll get there, but right now, there are so many people ignoring the rule that it's going to be tough.

Let it go. Mind your own adherence to the rule and let us handle the rest. Please.

Kyle Rodgers