Sign in to follow this  

After flying with a joystick for as long as I can remember i have decided that i want to up the realism and buy my first yoke,

I have about £120 ( $180) to spend and am looking for one that i could control the rudder without using pedals ( not ready for that just yet), Ideally I would like one that has configurable buttons/ throttle and is very easy to set up ( plug and play would be lovely)

Am based in the UK, can anyone recommend one?

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

For your first yoke I would go with either CH or Saitek.  Then after a few years you will know if you want to take the next leap to the next level, which usually starts at around $500+ in USD.  Started with CH then switched to Saitek.  Both do the job but I prefer Saitek.  I have had mine about five years and I can see issues slowly popping up.  Probably ran through it's life expectancy.  Considering upgrading in 2016.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

one that i could control the rudder without using pedals

I'd look at the CH Products Eclipse, I assume you could use the pedals as a rudder axis.

recommend saitek pro flight cessna yoke with throttles

It has 180 degree rotation, very realistic

I dont think you can control rudders from a yoke. You can just tick auto rudder in fsx

ZORAN

If you are moving from joystick to a yoke ( I did about 7 years ago) I really do suggest you get the rudder pedals too.  You wont regret it.

Peter Schluter

I've had both CH and the Saitek Yoke, and I recommend the Saitek Yoke. Plus you get your first set of Throttles and if you ever move to flying a Turbo Prop like the Majestic Dash 8, or fly a 3 or 4 engine airliner you'll want the second throttle quad.

As others have said, you will be blown away by having Rudder Pedals (which come with Toe Breaks).  It's a winner, worth every penny.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have a CH Yoke, 5 or so years old. After not flying for several years I started up again with a new system that easily get 45+ frs. I notice two things about my yoke, which could be the same for Saitik of same age on same system.

1. It is very sensitive with my new system and I cannot reduce, in FSX, the sensitivity enough in the pitch and roll directions. Makes landing in a responsive small craft like my A2A C-182T challenging!
  2. My yoke is a little 'sticky' when starting to pull it out causing some over pitching. I don't recall this being an issue when I used it several years ago so it my be due to the responsiveness of my system now. But it does stick a little. I can compensate with slight lifting of the yoke when I start to pull out. Also setting more null has helped.

Like I said it could be an age thing and it could be the same with Saitek. Overall I like my CH Yoke.

Carl

I don't think you can control rudders from a yoke. You can just tick auto rudder in fsx

The Eclipse has two thumb 'paddles' that are used for the Rudder Axis; they're quite comfortable to use.

:smile:

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg

For what it is worth, I quite like my CH USB Yoke.

It has throttle, prop, and mixture levers, as well as gear and flaps switches built in.

Separately, I use Saitek Combat rudder pedals.. great build quality.

I have a CH Yoke, 5 or so years old. ...

1. It is very sensitive with my new system and I cannot reduce, in FSX, the sensitivity enough in the pitch and roll directions. Makes landing in a responsive small craft like my A2A C-182T challenging!
  2. My yoke is a little 'sticky' when starting to pull it out causing some over pitching. I don't recall this being an issue when I used it several years ago so it my be due to the responsiveness of my system now. But it does stick a little. I can compensate with slight lifting of the yoke when I start to pull out. Also setting more null has helped.

Re 1.

I have reduced the sensitivity in the aircraft.cfg file for the a2a C182 (other aircraft are fine):

[flight_tuning]
aileron_effectiveness=0.8 // 1.00
rudder_effectiveness=0.9 // 1.0

Re 2.

I lubricate the plastic shaft with lithium white grease, helps a lot.

Bert

If you already have a decent joystick, maybe you'd want to start off with the rudder pedals and then get the yoke at a later time. This is for several reasons:

-Many aircraft actually have a joystick, rather than a yoke, so it's not totally unrealistic to fly with a joystick+pedals

-I would find it impossible or at least very difficult to fly an aircraft with only a yoke and no rudder pedals

-There's no yoke with built-in rudder control like the twist-grip you find on many joysticks

If you still decide to go with the yoke first, the Saitek yoke+throttle combo is a great start. Great value for the money.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Bert, what do you have your 'elevator effectiveness' set at... mine is at 2?! That is the control I have the most issue with.

Will try the grease. Thanks

Bert, what program do you use to edit the config file? I get a warning when I try to use MS Word?

Carl

For what it is worth, I quite like my CH USB Yoke.

It has throttle, prop, and mixture levers, as well as gear and flaps switches built in.

Separately, I use Saitek Combat rudder pedals.. great build quality.

Re 1.

I have reduced the sensitivity in the aircraft.cfg file for the a2a C182 (other aircraft are fine):

[flight_tuning]
aileron_effectiveness=0.8 // 1.00
rudder_effectiveness=0.9 // 1.0

Re 2.

I lubricate the plastic shaft with lithium white grease, helps a lot.