Sign in to follow this  
Guest kingairvols

Georender Alaska Cinematic - the friendly thread ;-)

Hi there,Mike, thanks for the kind words and sharing your enthusiasm. I can only speak for myself but is exactly those exciting and enjoyable moments you describe which I as a developer are hoping for when working on my landscape projects. And I have similar experiences using the contributions of others, both freeware and commercial.Bob, I do indeed have two different FS9.cfg files that I switch back and forth - the trick is to remember to switch before starting FS ;-) I also have a shortcut to the active FS9.cfg file on my desktop in case I just need/want to adjust a single parameter before loading the sim.Cheers, Holger

FS9 CFG on in the AVSIM library helps in altering the CFG file.Dick Boley @KLBE

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Hi Bob,"I guess the only solution would be to have 2 config files and switch back and forth, but that could be a pain in the neck."...not if you use Ken's FSAutoStart. Currently I have 15 Profiles which deal with things like LOD, whether or not I wish to have printing facilities and the ability to return to the Desktop while the sim is running without FSAutoStart restarting the stopped background Programs and Services. Yesterday I created a profile specifically for Alaska Cinematic Vol-1 with the recommended mods to fs9.cfg recommended by Richard. The possibilities appear endless - Ken should receive an award for this little gem.Mike

That's true, Mike. And while I'm not knocking Ken's Autostart (after all, I use it all the time), you don't even need to use it to make multiple cfg files and start from them. All it takes is a few seconds editing the contents of a shortcut to FS9 and you can tell it to start using whatever config you want. I've got a bunch of 'em for when I'm in a hurry and don't want to wait for autostart to shut things down.

Bill stated:"you don't even need to use it to make multiple cfg files and start from them. All it takes is a few seconds editing the contents of a shortcut to FS9 and you can tell it to start using whatever config you want.".....for those of you who may wish to try it his way, here's how:1. Copy FS9.cfg and paste it in the 'Flight Simulator 9' root folder. Rename the file to something meaningful which reflects your intended use of the file. For example, I called the file with the modifications for Alaska Cinematic Vol-1 scenery: "fs9_AC.CFG".2. Open this file in Notepad, make your modifications and then save it (again using my example) as: fs9_AC_1.CFG3. Delete fs9_AC.CFG and then rename fs9_AC_1.CFG to fs9_AC.CFGMany will say steps 2 and 3 are unnecessary, but I have found doing this avoids overwriting the original file and consequently seems to preserve the file's integrity and FS9's ability to scan it efficiently (see my post in the Tips and Tricks forum).4. Copy and paste your current shortcut to FS2004 on your Desktop.5. Right click this new shortcut and select Properties.6. In the Target box add the following (again using my example by way of illustration) to the existing entry:/CFG:fs9_AC.CFGIf the existing entry is "D:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9FS9.EXE" then it will become:"D:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9FS9.EXE" /CFG:fs9_AC.CFGMake sure there is a space between the " and /CFGApply the change and click on OK.Now, you should be able to fire up FS9 by clicking your new shortcut and it will use the specific settings in the amended configuration file.Obviously you can make as many new shortcuts as you like and each will reference a unique configuration file saved by you in the FS9 root folder. Alternatively, you could stick with one new shortcut and change the /CFG:fs9xx.CFG to reference the particular config file you wish FS9 to use prior to starting a particular simming session.Mike

Hi Mike,that is very clever! I never knew that one can add the FS9.cfg attribute to the FS9 shortcut. Thanks for sharing!Cheers, Holger

Hi Holger,I'm afraid I can take little credit ( much as I would like to ;) ) as I first discovered the method when we were all experimenting with FSAutoStart. It just seemed logical to me that it should work this way as well. Bill's suggestion gave me the nudge to try it out...and it worked!Regards,Mike

Guest kingairvols

From the post,"I'll start by answering David's question about the number of airfields in the area: there are 26 airfields and bases, all adjusted to the photoreal scenery and improved coastlines though none of them have been modeled to the level of the stand-alone Georender fields". What area, and is photoreal in the area's referenced (Tuntra, ect) like mesh at this point? You mentioned usually you were not a big fan of photoreal (or somthing like that) but the area covered here was different. Dose this compete with say FSGEN Mesh for AK.?Thank you.Mark.

Hi Mark,the area covered is visible (squint, squint) in the image on this site: http://www.georender.com/AKPhoto.htmNW corner is approx. N61*29' W150*00' and SE corner N60*30' W148*08'Sorry, not sure what you mean by "referenced (Tuntra, ect) like mesh at this point?" These are custom photoreal textures and thus very different from the standard land use (land class) tiles. Or do you mean referenced to a specific mesh?Alaska Cinematic comes with its own LOD10 (38-m) mesh by Raimondo Taburet (basically subsets of his freeware Alaska mesh) but is also compatible with the FSG Alaska mesh as long as the FSG mesh resides above the Alaska Cinematic entry in the scenery library.Cheers, Holger

Guest kingairvols

OK,I tgink I have it, MM. I was wondering if you can use the above cfg example with just plain resulution. IE.. set to say 1280 by 1024 even if two of the monitors recommend only 1024 by 768(I think its 768, but I hope its close)then in the second config setup use the reccomended stttings. I am probobly missing the point. If so I appoligize.Thanks Mark.