Sign in to follow this  
dmwalker

Aircraft veers into the wind during takeoff

I hadn't done takeoffs with a crosswind before but, as I now try to do them with 90° crosswinds from both left and right and with direction confirmed by the windsock, the aircraft consistently veers into the wind during the takeoff run. It doesn't matter whether it is an FSX or payware aircraft. What am I missing?

Dugald Walker

Think of the rudder as a sail. As the wind pushes it, the nose will turn into the wind.

That is why aircraft have crosswind limits specified... the rudder is good up a point, but light

aircraft can typically not handle crosswinds above 15-20 knots.

Bert

During taxiing and takeoff with a crosswind, the wind pushes on the side of the rudder and causes the plane to turn ("weathervane") into the wind.  It's normal to have to use rudder (in a downwind direction) to keep the plane going straight.  Also, full aileron should be held INTO the wind during taxiing and on takeoff until the airspeed indicator comes alive.  Then the aileron input should be decreased as the plane accelerates, but some aileron should continue to be held into the wind.

Aileron control held into the crosswind not only helps prevent the wind from lifting the upwind wing, the "adverse yaw" (yaw effect in opposite direction to the aileron roll input) of the ailerons helps prevent the crosswind from turning the plane into the wind.  During the takeoff roll you should anticipate the need for lots of rudder input in a direction away from the wind.

According to the motto "the more we learn, the less we know"

At my age, it's "The more we learn, the less we remember."

Dugald Walker

yep, the effect is called "weathercocking".  The aircraft wants to turn into the wind because of the forces upon it's shape.

That's why you need to use the rudder to counteract it.  You can't really fly fsx properly unless you have rudder pedals.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

90 degree crosswind = death wish, use a different runway.

Echofox

Not every airport has multiple runways. Direct crosswinds are a fact of life and can be easily managed as long as you know your limits and the aircraft capabilities.

Corrected spelling and grammar errors. Thanks stupid cell phone spellchecker.

I set 90° and 15kts just to see the effect and at least I didn't crash.

Dugald Walker

Agree with oracle..

Problem is most planes handle crosswinds very poorly. Try a nice addon like RealAir Legacy or A2A Cherokee to work on those crosswinds

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |