Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

MSFS - the Original

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "Hangar Chat". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Wow! I remember that version. Wire-frame graphics were just so realistic and lifelike! :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Deerp I forgot about the hangar chat forum sorry!

That one I can't say I used....  I was about 5 years old hehe!  My first was FS5.0 then we got the FS95 for windows.  I've been hooked ever since.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Wow! I remember that version. Wire-frame graphics were just so realistic and lifelike! :LMAO:

This is because back then we were using the worlds most powerful graphics processor available......Imagination   :lol:

Matthew Kane

Thank you for sharing that. It was an interesting experience playing on a sim that came out 9 years before I was born.  :lol:

I just did the old flight from Meigs to Champaign Willard Airport. Nice trip down memory lane, I think it is still just as much fun as it was back then

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Ah yes, I remember those trips between Meigs and Willard airport on my old Apple II GS, in the simulated Piper Cherokee.   I learned about VOR navigation and ILS approaches and practiced every day, and I credit MSFS for allowing me to learn the rudimentary skills that I still use to this day in the present day FSX!

First edition of MSFS has VOR navigation and ILS? Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised, didn't expected that at all. I thought it is quite simple, load and fly, no navigation no switches...

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

First edition of MSFS has VOR navigation and ILS? Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised, didn't expected that at all. I thought it is quite simple, load and fly, no navigation no switches...

The first edition of MSFS was actually Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 which did have the VOR and ILS.

Just a few differences between the Sublogic release and the MSFS release like the default aircraft was a Piper in FSII and a Cessna in MSFS1 but mostly it was the same. Both had the Gates Learjet which was fun to land the ILS at Ohare in instrument meteorological conditions. Yes you could set wind levels and cloud levels as well so a lot of the bells and whistles were there already

I had a blast with it when I was 12 years old and will never forget that one. I had Sublogic Flight Simulator 2 running on the Apple //c back then  B)

Matthew Kane

This is because back then we were using the worlds most powerful graphics processor available......Imagination   :lol:

Very true.  I remember being very engrossed flying the ZX-Spectrum flight-sim circa 1983. Looking at 1FPS video clips of it now I realise my onboard computer (my mind) was superimposing this amazing flightsim over the top of it.  Perhaps we are all doing the same today with our current software. :-)

And look what I found......the ultimate on Flight Simulation (in its day)

Flight Assignment Airline Transport Pilot:

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Flight_Assignment_Airline_Transport_Pilot_1990

Also they have Sublogic's JET:

https://archive.org/details/a2_Jet_The_1986_subLOGIC

https://archive.org/details/msdos_Jet_2.0_1987

Awesome B)  

Matthew Kane

I still remember the older versions of FS, and the hours I spent when I first got FS2000 studying the manual and going through tutorials (It felt so realistic). Now I look at it, and it looks so old and bad compared to what we have today (If I'd told my simming self back in 1998 that I could fly over the entire country with high-res photorealistic textures, buildings and trees in the right place, full 3D cockpits with animations, etc, I wouldn't have believed it). I think we definitely all take for granted the simulators, addons we now have, and I'm sure we'll all be doing the same with P3D v5, X-Plane 12 in a few years time.

FS 4.0 started out playing with it back in early 90s in middle school what a experience, got fs98 for Xmas back in 97 and everything now so real almost realistic. I got more into fsx once I got joystick and found sure easier to fly by joystick than keyboard. .

I always considered FS4 the coming of age for the franchise. It was the first to have addon's that Mallard and BAO created that included aircraft and scenery development as well as digital sound for the first time. Also Compuserve and AOL created the first forums to share your developed aircraft and scenery.

I remember GOFSFORUM on Compuserve before we had AVSIM, with all of these elements we were finally creating an online community of developers trying to improve FS4......this continues on today

Matthew Kane