Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[08JAN15] Updated P3D Development Information

Great news! I have been stuck in a turboprop since I made the switch to P3D, and had held off buying the 777.

Soon I can finally try her out :) Although I'm more looking forward to the 747!

Exactly this is the question to be asked...

What I have read in the corresponding threads is that it only makes sense to run complex A/Cs within P3D (v2.x) if you reduce the eye candy back to FSX level; and that is a pure contradiction.

Eye candy is probably meanwhile the main reason to migrate to P3D, but you may only enjoy it with the (newest) powerful hardware; maybe a complete new setup. If a complex add on forces you to remove the eye candy in order to regain reasonable frame rates, what should be the reason to do that? :wacko:

I think those are just some opinions not truths.

Upgrading to P3D is not about eye candy (for me anyway).

Also being in an airliner at 40,000 feet, the eye candy on the ground is not visible anyway. I only want the eye candy on my aircraft, and on my clouds.

The main reason to fly complex aircraft in P3D is the stability we now get, and the lack of tweaking necessary since it now runs out of the box quite well. We can spend time flying and not messing with cfg files all the time.

P3D coupled with 2 or 3 PMDG aircraft is a serious sim for serious simmers, and it's going places.

The main reason to fly complex aircraft in P3D is the stability we now get, and the lack of tweaking necessary since it now runs out of the box quite well. We can spend time flying and not messing with cfg files all the time.

Nice to hear that for you everything seems to work out fine, although it sounds a bit like "sunday school" to my ears (don't take it personally) B)

I am sure you know this thread about "satisfactory usage":

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458371-its-been-real-im-out/

or this one regarding "no tweaking required":

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458693-how-to-get-a-40-fps-increase-in-p3d/

Want more examples? What are the objective conclusions to be taken?

To be fair or IMO realistic: 64 bit will be mandatory for the use of P3D+PMDG if a user wants to have all the published advantages without being disappointed. :unsure:

Claus seriously if you don't like P3D then don't use it. If you don't like PMDG products on P3D then don't buy them!! Please stop the confrontational comments on this forum as its almost as though you are trying to create an argument. I'm very interested in PMDG's 777 product for P3D which is why I made the comment on this thread. If you are not interested in PMDG's products for P3D then why are you commenting on this thread?

David Thwaites

Please stop the confrontational comments on this forum as its almost as though you are trying to create an argument.

I am just stating my doubts on an informational basis. The confrontational aspect depends on your personal standpoint.

I am a PMDG "fan" so to say myself, which should not exclude the possibility of claiming doubts officially.

This thread is about PMDG going P3D so the dialog belongs here in the official forum. If only "sunday school talking" is allowed here, then it would be time to leave this place anyway. I prefer dialog instead of monolog. Free speech to some extend should be allowed.

A sentence like "We can spend time flying and not messing with cfg files all the time." (by DanW three posts earlier) is IMO misleading to a degree that this point must be discussed.

Nice to hear that for you everything seems to work out fine, although it sounds a bit like "sunday school" to my ears (don't take it personally) B)

I am sure you know this thread about "satisfactory usage":

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458371-its-been-real-im-out/

or this one regarding "no tweaking required":

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458693-how-to-get-a-40-fps-increase-in-p3d/

Want more examples? What are the objective conclusions to be taken?

To be fair or IMO realistic: 64 bit will be mandatory for the use of P3D+PMDG if a user wants to have all the published advantages without being disappointed. :unsure:

Sunday School? Inside joke? I seem to be out of the loop. Not taking it personally since I don't know what it means :)

No I'm not familiar with those threads, as I said before I have had no problems with a large list of addons and don't need to tweak unlike FSX so I haven't been lurking in the Prepar3d forum hunting for these things. I just check the PMDG forum occasionally to see when the P3D release is coming, and the Q400 forum.

I could argue all day about how good Prepar3d is but I won't do that here, or risk derailing this thread into a Prepar3d performance discussion. There's plenty of that in the Prepar3d forum. One thing I will say though is to please respect those of us who do run only Prepar3d, who have been waiting a long time for PMDG releases. 

Choice of sim is up to the individual, X Plane, FSX, P3D or whatever we are all simmers and we all want our PMDG excitement equally.

thanks for the news :) what kind of P3D license will be suitable for non-professional use?

I could argue all day about how good Prepar3d is but I won't do that here, or risk derailing this thread into a Prepar3d performance discussion. There's plenty of that in the Prepar3d forum. One thing I will say though is to please respect those of us who do run only Prepar3d, who have been waiting a long time for PMDG releases.

Choice of sim is up to the individual, X Plane, FSX, P3D or whatever we are all simmers and we all want our PMDG excitement equally.

Great statement, I really appreciate and support it! :rolleyes:

Actually with the MJC8Q400 I have enjoyable results in P3Dv2.x, too. BTW here is an example for "sunday school talking" (blandish/sweet talk):

"The MJC8Q400 with its innovative external FDE (Flight Dynamics Engine) comes with extremely good framerates" (<<<sunday-school-talk ... rest-of-the-week-talk>>>) "...but making use of FS slew mode has also downsides as reported by several users".

Always two sides of the story: I know how PMDG T7 and AS A318/19 perform in "my" FSX. Although the T7 has a much higher level of simulation depth (and immersion IMO) the A318/19 is noticeably heavier on my framerates but still flyable. I also have the A318/19  installed in P3D v2.4. It is not really flyable/fun for me and so it is my benchmark for what to expect with the T7... B)

Just for the completion here the "consensus" of one of the threads I mentioned before for reference:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458371-its-been-real-im-out/page-6#entry3145497

I wish everybody great fun with the T7 and other A/Cs inside P3D. May all the scepticism be proved wrong! 

thanks for the news :) what kind of P3D license will be suitable for non-professional use?

Isn't that a matter for you and Lockheed Martin? :-)

Gents-

Since all of you obviously read the forum rules at the top of the forum- I know it is completely unnecessary for me to post this little piece I cut out from the post:

"8) This forum is designed primarily as a vehicle for the PMDG development team to interact with our customers, and for customers to interact with one another in a manner that is positive, supportive and assists in the general advancement of understanding the simulation and helping to make this and future simulations better. Any other use of this forum is not permitted, including but not limited to discussion of PMDG pricing policies, refund policies, business practices, forum moderating policies, and any other topic deemed unacceptable by any forum administrator, AVSim moderator or staff member."

(Highlight added by me to help those of you who have trouble focusing beyond the first sentence.)

Why did we enact this rule?  Because during every release we see similar drama from a small group of folks and it is counter productive since the arguments are largely specious.  (Translation for those too lazy to look it up:  "misleadingly attractive but incorrect arguments designed to appear valid through the loose use of facts or unattributed quotes.")

As always, we will set pricing based upon market factors, and we will do so right before the product goes to market.  If you don't like our pricing, then you have the option not to purchase the product.

As my post was and another post by someone answering me was (I presume) deleted - with my question unanswered (or if I've missed the information, not fully understood by me) - I'll hopefully wait for the information to appear at some stage? Yes... that seems to be a nice way to treat loyal customers.

Appreciate the information from PMDG, but perhaps this thread should have been locked from the start so that people don't mention the elephant in the room.

(name is signed below too)

Steady on Captain Beeby...

It would seem madness, my dear boy - to set a price for a product that has an undefined cost attached to it?

If you purchase a bunch of bananas with the intention to sell them on - you'd want to know the cost, wouldn't you?

Once the release is ready (barring any service packs - which I'm sure are factored in anyway) - the development cost becomes rathermore clear (one assumes the dev team have a timesheets system of sorts), and hence PMDG are at the starting point for the RRP decision.

At this point, they would be business fools in committing themselves to a price point.

This is not (from what I see) - a "loyal customers" issue. I personally won't worry about the cost, because the value will be evident - we're not dealing with rank amateurs, unlike other 3rd party suppliers.

My priority is to see the VC :) !

Have a great week.

If you purchase a bunch of bananas with the intention to sell them on - you'd want to know the cost, wouldn't you?

You'd really want to know the price at which others selling bananas. if you can't match that price then you wouldn't be able to sell your bananas - they'd cost too much.

No I'm not familiar with those threads, as I said before I have had no problems with a large list of addons and don't need to tweak unlike FSX

So what your saying here you don't need to tweak anything in your cfg file if your using p3d

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

So what your saying here you don't need to tweak anything in your cfg file if your using p3d

That's correct

You'd really want to know the price at which others selling bananas. if you can't match that price then you wouldn't be able to sell your bananas - they'd cost too much.

Good point, allow me to add a caveat. There are only 6 banana producers to choose from... and the others are mostly supplying over-ripe, knackered bunches.

Back to flight sim. "Competition" it seems, is irrelevant when it comes to brand and fidelity. Mass market / economies of scale - don't really work in this niche.... not until we attract a lot of other people into the hobby.

Has anyone heard about performance of PMDG T7 in P3D V2.x?  I couldn't part w/ that kind of $$ unless performance was decent, and since all I have to go on is QW757 as the more complex one of two tubes I'm flying in P3D 2.2, I have to imagine PMDG T7 will not do very well on my machine, at least as it's set up now.  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X