Sign in to follow this  
markosslegend

New GPU - No Frame Rate Increase FSX

Hi Guys,

I've recently installed a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and added 8Gb of ram to my system.  I was running a Nvidia GeForce 210, and had roughly 6fps at Sydney with WoAI traffic turned up to 100%. (Pretty bad I know)  So after installing my new graphics card and installing the software and extra ram, I was surprised to see that I was still only getting 6fps from the same situation.  No increase in frames.

I am currently running:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

AMD Phenom II x4 960T 3.0Ghz

16Gb RAM

GeForce GTX 750 Ti

I have done some research on the subject and haven't seem to find anyone who hasn't experienced a positive difference after upgrading graphics cards.

I have followed this set of procedures:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/drivers-nv-inspector-fsxcfg-complete-guide_topic36586.html

And then set FSX to these settings:

Combined, these did make a difference and bumped the frames up to about 10fps.  But I can't help like feeling that I should be getting more.

An interesting thing I found out when using Nvidia Inspector, was that my GPU load stayed constant between 15-20% (give or take).  And when comparing that to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 which peeked at about 60%, you can see a vast difference in GPU load.  Both Battlefield 4 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 work fine on my new system, a visible difference between my old setup, But FSX lacks visibly in performance increase.

Am I doing something wrong?  Does anyone have some advice for me? Or is that all the performance I can expect from my system?

Thanks an advance

Mark

Sorry to say but you haven't done your research good enough  :Straight Face: I believe there's plenty of forum threads that states the following: FSX is mostly dependent on a fast CPU. If I were you I would upgrade to an i7 Intel CPU which can be overclocked to 4.2-4.3 ghz (and above). You'll experience a great improvement of frame rates. 

Jumping into this hobby can be quite frustrating considering the poor performance we get with modern hardware, I see that. Default FSX will probably give you around 300 FPS, but as you start to throw in new textures and other heavy add on the frame rates start to suffer. Unfortunately, FSX (and Prepar3D to some extent) doesn't take advantage of modern technology so overclocking of CPUs has become standard for many simmers. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Thanks Fi5kuS.  I had read that a faster CPU is important but I just couldn't believe that upgrading to a modest graphics card from a poor one would make little to no difference in frame rates.  As well as the fact that the GPU isn't being utilised like it is in other games on my PC.

Do you think an 8-core AMD 4.0Ghz processor along with my GeForce GTX 750 Ti and 16 Gb of ram would increase my frames?  I say this CPU as I won't have to replace my motherboard and its in my price range.

Thanks

Mark

Thanks Fi5kuS.  I had read that a faster CPU is important but I just couldn't believe that upgrading to a modest graphics card from a poor one would make little to no difference in frame rates.  As well as the fact that the GPU isn't being utilised like it is in other games on my PC.

Do you think an 8-core AMD 4.0Ghz processor along with my GeForce GTX 750 Ti and 16 Gb of ram would increase my frames?  I say this CPU as I won't have to replace my motherboard and its in my price range.

Thanks

Mark

I have little knowledge on AMD processors, sorry. Many who are building new rigs for FSX prefer using Intel i5 or i7 generation because of their overclocking capabilities.

And I don't know whether you can compare an Intel CPU OC'ed to 4.5 ghz to an AMD CPU OC'ed to 4.5 ghz, for instance. You should do some research there. All in all, it comes down what you want/expect from your flight simulator. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Okay thanks I will have to read up.  The reason I specified the AMD 4.0Ghz is because I have an AM3+ motherboard.  The 4.0Ghz CPU, I think,  is the fastest I can get without upgrading my motherboard, and I doubt the Intel CPU's will fit my motherboard. That particular CPU can be taken to 4.2GHz, so that might work for me.

Thanks again for your help.

Hell no, you dont need 16 gb of ram because fsx cant use more than 3.2 gb of ram.

and yes fsx needs a powerful cpu, but i would recommend intel cpu over amd

So if you want to use a intel cpu, you have to bus a nwe motherboard

3.0ghz amd is slowing down GPU, first of all. Second of all, FSX in DX9 mode is CPU dependant 90%. DX10 mode is more GPU dependant, and with better GPU you will see a very smooth performance and you may crank max texture size (4096), and also better fps in overcast weather with AA.

Current system: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4, Intel 12900k, 32GB RAM @ 3600mhz, Zotac RTX 3090 Trinity, M2 SSD, Oculus Quest 2.

Omg, then 4gb, but no more.

No, you are thinking about the physical amount of RAM. FSX cant utilize more than 4 GB "virual ram", which is an allocated space that is limited in the 32-bit architecture of the game. So it doesnt matter if you have 4 or 32 GB of RAM. 

As for the physical pieces of RAM you put into your computer, you will have more benefit of 8 GB or more when running additional program etc. 

On a different note - drop the attitude!

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I know, I am talking about the Ram for FSX, but in additional you dont need 16GB for your "Home PC".

No of course not, I totally agree. 8 GB is more than enough for general gaming. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

@markosslegend: If you have read, understood and implemented the advise given in the Simforum guide you link to in the first post, you would not have any doubt whatsoever about your system:

Low end CPU, low end GPU = low end performance.

Your CPU and GPU is actually a good match, with medium settings.

In 2009 I started out with an AMD 9650 2.3 Ghz Quad CPU + Nvidia GT 9600 GPU, and with medium settings it performed OK.

3.0ghz amd is slowing down GPU, first of all.

Is that why my GPU won't use more than 20% of its capacity?

@markosslegend: If you have read, understood and implemented the advise given in the Simforum guide you link to in the first post, you would not have any doubt whatsoever about your system:

Low end CPU, low end GPU = low end performance.

Your CPU and GPU is actually a good match, with medium settings.

In 2009 I started out with an AMD 9650 2.3 Ghz Quad CPU + Nvidia GT 9600 GPU, and with medium settings it performed OK.

I have read and implemented the advise in the Simforum guide, understanding it not 100%.

So saying that my CPU is slowing my GPU down, would upgrading to an 8 core AMD FX 4.0GHz improve my performance noticably? Or would I just be wasting my money?  In terms of processors, where does the 8 core AMD FX 4.0GHz rate?

Thanks again for the help.  I have being playing FlightSim for years now, but my computer building knowledge is basic and I'm still only learning.

Thanks

Mark

Is that why my GPU won't use more than 20% of its capacity?

well, it's mainly because fsx just doesn't really use the gpu much at all. having a faster gpu is mostly useful when you start cranking the antialiasing settings and stuff like that, large resolutions, or if your cpu is fast enough to really start making it sweat.

So saying that my CPU is slowing my GPU down, would upgrading to an 8 core AMD FX 4.0GHz improve my performance noticably? Or would I just be wasting my money?  In terms of processors, where does the 8 core AMD FX 4.0GHz rate?

i think it would definitely give you a performance boost, probably 25% . in all my upgrade experiences the fps scales pretty much with clock speed.

are you wasting your money? well if you want the best performance i would save for an intel and new mobo, if you look up benchmarks all over the internet the intels are generally higher performance, that's also why they tend to cost more. i have not compared prices on any of that stuff recently so i can't speculate about price differences or value.. if you can get that new chip for a really inexpensive price then maybe it's a great idea!

about RAM usage i say, the more the merrier!!! having tons of RAM on your machine is more about not having to worry that other background apps are eating it up so when fsx grabs it's 4gb chunk, you still have plenty to play with. voxatc for example allocates 1gb on it's own, and activesky and other apps that run alongside fsx also have a footprint. chrome windows opened with charts can eat a few hundred megs too. 

anyway good luck. the search function on the forums (and google too) are your friends in this case also because there is a lot of info about this out there if you are determined to look for it

cheers!

-andy crosby