Sign in to follow this  
Airline2Sim

FSX Steam Edition Update

Heads up all, from Dovetail on Facebook and fair play to them as they have followed up on the promise to keep it moving forward:

''We are pleased to announce a new update coming soon for Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition.

This update resolves several issues reported to us by the FSX: Steam Edition community and will be automatically applied to your software via the Steam platform once it’s released.

Below is the full list of changes and fixes made in this update:

• Networking: Resolved - potential crash bug when decoding Steam host tag data.
• Error Reporting: Resolved - error message if the software failed to load the language.dll so that it shows the name of the actual dll it is trying to load.
• Learning Centre: Resolved - when selecting a mission from the Learning Centre, you would be told that the mission script failed to load and would be disabled.
• Learning Centre: Changed - the Learning Centre still referenced a GameSpy logo - now replaced with Steam logo.
• Graphics: Improved vertex and index buffer handling defaults and a few other things to give up to 10% framerate improvement (as long as vsync is not enabled/forced).
• Graphics: Change - Enable trilinear mipmap filtering by default.
• Graphics: Resolved - If the Special Effects setting was set to HIGH, some special effects like external lights, landing/water effects would not work.
• Graphics: Changed default value for max per-frame texture uploads to decrease time for high quality terrain textures to appear.
• Settings: Resolved - HIGHMEMFIX was enabled by default but could very rarely be disabled at load time.
• For new installs, we now provide default versions of dll.xml and exe.xml files to improve compatibility with existing addons.

We are continuing to monitor your feedback on FSX: Steam Edition and would like to thank the community for taking the time to report these and other issues. We know that we have not fixed all of the reported issues, but we continue to work to improve the product in the coming weeks.

- The Community Team''

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

For new installs, we now provide default versions of dll.xml and exe.xml files to improve compatibility with existing addons.

What are they referring to with default versions and existing add-ons?

Iñigo Bildarratz

I for one am STOKED to see DTG taking up the torch for continued development on FSX.... It's already been way more stable than acceleration ...even with the uiautomation fix, I could never use the menus in FSX:MS without a crash when running in nvidia surround mode stretched across 3 monitors....now ..super stable. I have only had one CTD since FSE:SE was released....running all of my add-ons. Of course I do manage what is loaded by using SIMStarter, especially scenery and dll.xml loads...but still....

Very impressed that we are seeing improvements so soon, and some items are rather large (10% improvement in Frames, Special Effects fixes, etc.

Always remember to Find Your FUN!

-Bob

Hmmm, have to make sure I backup my FSX.cfg before starting FSX SE then... Did some fine tuning there :-/

Also, I just hope it doesn't interfere with Steve's DX10 fixer.... and FSUIPC...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

FSUIPC users will need to update their FSUIPC for the FSX-SE update. I have it ready but cannot release it till the official SE update release date is fixed. It will be version 4.938c. Just a minor, but necessary, change.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

Thx Pete, yes, FSUIPC is really important to have too  :good:

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

All sounds great well done DTG,

Not sure about the do not use VSynch...I like to use NI set at half frame which gives me such a smooth stutter free experience on big payware aircraft and airports..

Will be interesting re the increased FPS

All the best

Yeah the Vsync thing caught me too.  I would assume all they mean is that folks who have vsync enabled won't likely see any 10% increase in performance since their framerate is going to be locked anyway.  I would assume if you are running vsync and your system struggles to meet the limited framerate imposed by that then you might see an improvement there.  I keep my framerate locked at 30fps and vsync enabled.  Under very rare circumstances I will see drops down to 25 or 26 fps.  Perhaps this update will help to minimize even those rare occasions...

FSUIPC users will need to update their FSUIPC for the FSX-SE update. I have it ready but cannot release it till the official SE update release date is fixed. It will be version 4.938c. Just a minor, but necessary, change.

Pete

Pete, You're the absolute best! If you ever decide to run for president or Prime Minister, you have my vote!

It's exciting no doubt, but remember that with every bugfix, change, and update comes the potential - the very real potential - that your addons (above and beyond FSUIPC) might have a hiccup or two.

Let us not forget that one of the BENEFITS of the years long development freeze on FSX has been a singular, stable codebase on which developers could rely. Now that it is thawing out a bit, one must remember that not all developers are as responsive as Pete is with FSUIPC. This is not to suggest that such changes are BAD, but it's just something to keep in the back of our minds. 

I'm curious how an in-place "update" via Steam will be handled by FSX:SE. It seems straightforward for a relatively clean installation, but what about installs which have been thoroughly customized by their users... There are some interesting times ahead!

-Greg

Pete, You're the absolute best! If you ever decide to run for president or Prime Minister, you have my vote!

Are you for real????????

Get a grip, old man!

:rolleyes: