Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

Best way to avoid OOM's?

Might as well go back to FS9 in that case.... 

I just prefer the performance. Autogen causes more troubles than it is worth for me anyway.

Lawrence Ashworth

XhCuv5H.jpg

I guess if you're flying tubes I could understand the mentality - but for me flying GA I'd just up and quit simming altogether - I think AG was one of microsoft's best inventions in the MSFS series

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

A few things you can do:

Lower the LOD radius in FSX.cfg

Lower AI traffic density

Use low-resolution cloud and water textures

Fly a simpler aircraft and not use HD (e.g. McPhat) textures

Only enable scenery that you're flying into

Clear the weather

And finally....

Save, restart and load regularly to 'flush' the VAS. Save before takeoff, save during climb, save at Top-of-Climb, save at Top-of-descent, save on approach.

Lod radius is 4.5. The AI traffic density might be what caused it. I just switched over to mytraffic a few days ago and had been running it at 50% so perhaps that is what caused it. I have lowered it to 40% and will see if that fixes it. My water setting was 2.x High so I can lower that. As for the clouds I can fix those in REX but I am using that new soft clouds program so I'll see if I can lower the RES of those. Thank you for the suggestions. 

Lod radius is 4.5. The AI traffic density might be what caused it. I just switched over to mytraffic a few days ago and had been running it at 50% so perhaps that is what caused it. I have lowered it to 40% and will see if that fixes it. My water setting was 2.x High so I can lower that. As for the clouds I can fix those in REX but I am using that new soft clouds program so I'll see if I can lower the RES of those. Thank you for the suggestions. 

You can reduce LOD radius by quite a lot (e.g. 2) but there will be a lot of blurries. This will significantly reduce VAS usage and is useful if nothing else works. OOMs are especially common in very detailed areas with lots of nearby airports and lots of AI traffic, like New York or London.

You can reduce LOD radius by quite a lot (e.g. 2) but there will be a lot of blurries. This will significantly reduce VAS usage and is useful if nothing else works. OOMs are especially common in very detailed areas with lots of nearby airports and lots of AI traffic, like New York or London.

Well turned out my issue was mytraffic. Once I went back to UT2 my VAS usage went back to the normal amount. So I guess it's back to trying to figure out what repaints I need for foreign airlines in UT2. 

Well turned out my issue was mytraffic. Once I went back to UT2 my VAS usage went back to the normal amount. So I guess it's back to trying to figure out what repaints I need for foreign airlines in UT2. 

If you are using MyTraffic there is an option to turn off gate animations. A big VAS saver there. Especially in Hi-Dens areas.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

fix memory leak.

follow that tutorial (on french forum) and you'll be surprised

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=51466

That only applies to Ultimate Terrain, and it looks like the people with all those errors did something to mess up the default flight sim. There should not be so many missing texture files, especially if running Ultimate Terrain.

In all honesty, the only reliable way I found to avoid getting OOMs was to change over to FSX Steam Edition.   You will see plenty reports from users on AVSIM who just aren't getting OOMs any more, with the new build.

Since the Steam Edition does not display any effects, that to me is the reason why you have no oom problems with it.

You need to remove all the mytraffic airport bgl files for all the addon airports you have.

fix memory leak. follow that tutorial (on french forum) and you'll be surprised

Wow, I've just read it (using Google Translate since my French is too week to comprehend it) and looks like an awesome piece of advice.

I am a UTX user, so it may well apply to me. Looks like a lot of work though, but I think I will try to apply it.

Not that I frequently suffer from OOM's but they do happen is some scenarios I am now deliberately (for this reason) avoiding.

After applying this fix I may try again and see if impossible became possible.

Thanks a lot for the link! :smile:

Actually it looks like it's an issue primarily affecting Orbx users. I'm no technical expert but procmon showed that FSX was calling a bunch of Orbx .agn files but looking in the wrong folders (e.g. In the scenery/world/scenery folder instead of an Orbx subfolder). I don't know enough to point a definitive finger but it's hard for me to imagine how anything other than an Orbx product could have created this problem...which does appear to sap memory as the sim repeatedly calls for files it will never find.

I've "plugged the leak" following the instructions on the French forum. We'll see if it helps with OOMs.

James

Thanks a lot for the link! :smile:

you'r welcome ;)

I don't have UTX, only ORBX suite & procmon show me lot of missing .agn

Fabian Fuchs  belgium-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gi

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

You need to remove all the mytraffic airport bgl files for all the addon airports you have.

Where would these be located? I followed the instructions to uninstall the program and deleted all the files. I did not look for any BGL files. 

Actually it looks like it's an issue primarily affecting Orbx users. I'm no technical expert but procmon showed that FSX was calling a bunch of Orbx .agn files but looking in the wrong folders (e.g. In the scenery/world/scenery folder instead of an Orbx subfolder). I don't know enough to point a definitive finger but it's hard for me to imagine how anything other than an Orbx product could have created this problem...which does appear to sap memory as the sim repeatedly calls for files it will never find.

I've "plugged the leak" following the instructions on the French forum. We'll see if it helps with OOMs.

James

Can you list all the agn files here for Orbx?

Where would these be located? I followed the instructions to uninstall the program and deleted all the files. I did not look for any BGL files. 

I do not use Mytraffic sorry but search your fsx folder for names like afx_kjfk.bgl or anything named kjfk that ends in bgl outside of the addon scenery like fsdt or any other airport addon

Can you list all the agn files here for Orbx?

A ton, quite honestly--if you're interested I can post though.

Anyone have any idea where .agn files in this format come from?

010331011200100an.agn

010331011200300an.agn

Anyone have any idea where .agn files in this format come from?

010331011200100an.agn

010331011200300an.agn

Those are photo scenery autogen tiles.

Those are photo scenery autogen tiles.

Really? Odd (to say the least), since I don't use any photo scenery.

When I fly around Orbx Scotland I'm getting a ton of those missing files in Procmon.

Curiouser and curiouser...