Sign in to follow this  
Stratocruiser1

Flying the Tundra C-185 in P3D

I was able to direct the installer to my P3D v2.4 sim with no problem. Almost everything works fine. Here are the two things I have found that need attention. I have not changed anything in the cfg file.

1. Starting. This may just be me or my PC, but I could not manually start the engine. No matter what combination of events I tried, it would crank, but not start. It would, however, start using the Auto Start feature (Ctrl/E). I then found that after starting it once using the Auto Start method and shutting it down to a cold and dark cockpit, I could then manually start the engine and it would run fine. I could shut it down, leave the sim running for 30 minutes with no action and come back and again manually start the engine. After doing this a few times, I saved a flight at my favorite starting airport in the cold and dark situation and closed down the sim. I came back several hours later, started the sim and went to Load, and selected my saved flight and Viola' the engine starts manually. I have tried this a dozen times and it works every time. I don't know why I have to do it this way, or if everyone is having the same problem, but if you are, then try this method.

2. The rotating beacon does not work. There is a red refection showing up on the skin of the plane, and you get a dull red flash in the cockpit, but the beacon itself does not show any movement or red light. I have moved over from FSX all the effects files that P3Ddidn't have, but still no joy. Not a big deal, but still I would love to know how to fix this.

All in all, I am enjoying flying this plane in the Alaska Bush with all the nice scenery from Orbx and Tongass Fjords.

Howard

Hi Howard,

I can confirm the beacon behavior is the same in P3Dv2.5 (with all hotfixes). However I made a change to where the effect on the plane actually shows up. If you change the line below in the aircraft.cfg:

[lights]

light.3 = 1,   -18.4,  0.0, 6.25, fx_beacon85

to the following:

light.3 = 1,   -18.4,  0.05, 6.40, fx_beacon85

it shows up just a bit over the beacon lamp. Not ultra realistic I must admit, but at least you see the beacon blinking now.

Cheers

Frank

Any chance Carenado will update the Tundra C-185 with installers for P3D :unsure:

When I try an install it into P3D v2.4 it tells me it can't find FSX in the registry?

One of my all time favorites!

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

I think it is more about "telling" the Carenado installer where the FSX.exe is. A lot of Addon installers for FSX do this without looking at the registry actually.

The easiest way to trick the C185 installer is to make a copy of the Prepar3D.exe file in the same folder and rename it to FSX.exe. Then install the C185 pointing it to your P3D root folder, where you placed the fake FSX.exe file.

Hope this works for you,

Happy simming

Frank

Hi Frank,

I'll try that, I did but a copy of FSX in my P3D root directory and was able to install some other aircraft, but from some reason when trying the C-185 it looked in the registry, which I thought was odd. I'll try making a copy of the Prepar3D.exe and rename it to FSX and see if that works?

Thanks - Martin

Hi Martin,

Yes, this sounds odd. I purchased the C185 just before Xmas last year. Thus it should be the latest version given the age of the Carenado release. When I am running it with admin privileges the installer originally wants to install to the folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X", but my FSX installation is on my D: drive. Brings me to the conclusion that the Carenado installer is not looking into the registry - else it should come up with a different path suggestion.

Please try again - it should work.

Best Regards

Frank

Frank, thanks for the tip. I will make the change and try it.

I use the Estonia Migration Tool to install any FSX stuff that have their own installers and that works very well. Everything so far has gone right into P3D where it should be. I am still running P3D v2.4, but I think there is now a version of the tool for P3D v2.5. It is a very inexpensive buy and has worked very well. If, like me, you fly on line with a VA on a private server and use FSinn, you absolutely have to have the tool to make things work.

Howard

Frank,

My Lights section of the cfg file is a little different than yours. Here it is. Note the difference in light3. at the end of the line.

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit
light.0 = 3, -4.65, -16.86, 3.34, fx_navred85
light.1 = 3, -4.69, 16.80, 3.34, fx_navgre85
light.2 = 3, -20.9, 0.0, 1.3, fx_navwhi85
light.3 = 1, -18.4, 0.0, 6.25, fx_beaconcartresseisA36,
light.4 = 10, -4.27, 0.0, 2.8, fx_vclightc185
light.5 = 10, -7.7, 0.0, 2.5, fx_vclightc1852
light.6 = 3, -4.67, -16.92, 3.34, fx_strobecartresseisA36,
light.7 = 3, -4.67, 16.92, 3.34, fx_strobecartresseisA36,

I am going to change my line to match yours exactly and let you know how it looks.

Howard

Howard,

The name of the effect file is interesting. I wonder where it does come from. Have you checked in your effects folder if a file with this name "fx_strobecartresseisA36.fx" is present? I will check on my end when being back from work.

Best

Frank

Frank,

Yes, I found that folder in the effects file of my P3D. 

In Changing line light.3 to read exactly like yours, I get the same effect as you do. A small light atop the actual beacon light and it flashes. I still get the red flashing effect on the skin of the plane and inside the cockpit. I then changed the line to read

light.3 = 1, -18.4, 0.05, 6.40, fx_beaconcartressesisA36,

I started P3D at night and there is no red flashing or rotating effect at all, just like it was at the beginning of this search. So I changed it back to read just like yours. It is better than nothing.

Now if I could only get the Tach and the MP gauges together somehow, I would be happy. They really should be on top of one another, or next to each other. Not being a gauge guru, I don't know how to do that. There seems to be some extra space on the panel though, so maybe someone can do it.

Thanks.

Howard

Frank,

Just for the record, if it makes a difference, I am still using P3D2.4.

Howard

Hi Howard,

Great to hear that it works for you too :smile:

I have looked at my effects folder and have found said effect "fx_strobecartresseisA36" sitting there too. Just out of curiosity I investigated the other Carenado aircraft in my hangar and it turns out that the A36 Bonanza that comes with P3D makes use of this effect. Funny thing is - check for yourself - this effect is working on the Bonanza. Maybe some guy that knows more about models could explain why - would be an interesting read.

I wonder how/why your Tundra comes to pointing to this effect file. Anyway, I am happy if you found my hint helpful.

Btw., I read some posts about different P3D versions and combinations of nVidia card drivers having issues with model lights, such as nav lights or landing lights. I have not yet heard the same for beacon lights regardless the version of P3D.

Cheers

Frank

Edit: Thought I would post my C185F Tundra lights section here just for comparison and I found that you seem to have two more entries there than I have:

[LIGHTS]
//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit            
light.0 = 3,    -4.65, -16.86, 3.34, fx_navred85
light.1 = 3,    -4.69,  16.80, 3.34, fx_navgre85
light.2 = 3,   -20.9,  0.0, 1.3, fx_navwhi85
light.3 = 1,   -18.4,  0.05, 6.40, fx_beacon85 //light.3 = 1,   -18.4,  0.0, 6.25, fx_beacon85
light.4 = 10, -4.27,   0.0, 2.8, fx_vclightc185    
light.5 = 10, -7.7,    0.0, 2.5, fx_vclightc1852

Howard, this brings me to the question what version of the Tundra you run ...

I am not sure. The file is called Carenado C185F Tundra. I also have Carenado C185f Ski and Float and Ampphibian.

Howard

Same here, Howard. They come all with the Carenado C185F Bush package.

Best Regards

Frank