Sign in to follow this  
irishsooner

Earth Simulations Closed Down?

Nibbo,

I made my backups to a laptop that didn't have the originals installed - might help?

I haven't tried using them yet...but make sure everything is set correctly in the 'Settings' tab.

There has always been a co-existence issue with ORBX and ESI sceneries, as they both change the global autogen files.

ESI published a 'combined' AGN file set that should fix it...but I'd suspect a takeover of ESI by ORBX to be unlikely :-(

Cheers

Keith

It's all ok, I contacted Darren, explained the problems I encountered. He spotted I was using an old ES Installer, he attached the latest version "Version 2.5" So using it I removed Alderney to test it. I then needed to add a path to my spare backup drive within the installer, I then installed Alderney from my backup drive. it took about one minute to load :)  Apparently the ESI backup packs don't appear until it can see the scenery is not installed in FSX. any way job done over thirty gigabytes of backup safe and working fine. One relieved bunny here :)

but I'd suspect a takeover of ESI by ORBX to be unlikely :-(

I can't see it either, as what ES do (or did) though very good, does not seem to fit into the OrbX world to me; they have quite a different aesthetic. I'm sure Darren could develop for Orbx, but whether he would want too is another matter.

Thank you to everyone who's commented in this tread with such kindness and understanding. Both Vikki and myself appreciate it very much.

I'd just like to respond to some of the concerns raised regarding backups. 

It is possible to create backup ( esi-Packs) of any ES software you own. Once downloaded the ESI pack can be used to re-install your scenery should that need ever occur. The ESI pack you created is pre-configured with your valid serial code embedded. As such it does not require a connection to our servers to function. It doesn't even need an internet connection at all in fact. 

Our servers will remain active for at least a couple of months, but as mentioned we can't promise they'll stay active indefinitely. Vikki and I are committed to ensuring you are given every opportunity to safeguard your purchases from us, and as such we are continuing to man the ES helpdesk for at least the next couple of weeks to help anyone that gets in to difficulty. After that we will have to move on to pastures new, but we're not abandoning our moral responsibilities to our past customers in the meantime. :)

Kindest regards

Darren & Vikki

Any chance of purchasing titles at this point?

Any chance of purchasing titles at this point?

Good question.

At least I hope ES can get a deal with some other company to keep the titles available.  

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Maybe they could sell them via Flight1.  I was just looking at their website and they say they charge as little as 12% of the sale.  Not bad.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

It is possible to create backup ( esi-Packs) of any ES software you own. Once downloaded the ESI pack can be used to re-install your scenery should that need ever occur

Darren,

Just one question - when using the tool it asks if you are using FSX, FSX-SE or Prepar3D - is the FSX version embedded in the download and could that cause problems in future (eg moving to Prepar3D at a later date)?

Thanks

Keith

EU VAT is not the problem -I know of at least one firm (Taxomo http://www.taxamo.com/ ) that processes EU VAT at a cost of Euro 0.02 for each transaction.

The real reason is that Earth Simulations has simply run out of money. If it can't even pay the minimum wage it simply has  no choice but go out of business.

EU VAT is not the problem -I know of at least one firm (Taxomo http://www.taxamo.com/ ) that processes EU VAT at a cost of Euro 0.02 for each transaction.

The real reason is that Earth Simulations has simply run out of money. If it can't even pay the minimum wage it simply has  no choice but go out of business.

So you're an expert on EU VAT? FSAddon closed its European doors for the very same reason: http://fssupport.com/fsaddon/?p=2467

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Gents, Its most likely a combination of a number of reasons, but lets not lose sight of the fact that two people, quite possibly the best in the business, have lost jobs, and we in the community have lost some great development talent. Good luck to Darren and Vikki in whatever direction they choose to use their considerable talents..and I for one hope it doesnt involve a complete departure from the FS scene... K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

I agree, Kevin.....although I would understand if they had finally had enough of the flightsim business! We will just have to see what happens when the dust settles. Whatever the outcome, I wish them the very best of luck in whatever they decide to do from now on.

On a side note......I seem to recall that Aerosoft announced that Jersey Airport was in the early stages of development. It would have been nice if this could somehow have been expanded to include the entire island......with the help of Darren and Vikki of course :wink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I am so sorry to see Darren and Vikki go out of business. I've bought pretty much all of their products as well as a number of other boxed products that they sold via their store. Their products are quite simply the very best that are available for FSX as far as I am concerned and I will miss their company very much.

Every time I had to contact them for support or just general questions, they have been brilliant, sorting me out in no time at all - even at weekends!

I wish you both the very best of luck with whatever you decide to do next!

Cheers,

Stu.

Stuart Furley

ust one question - when using the tool it asks if you are using FSX, FSX-SE or Prepar3D - is the FSX version embedded in the download and could that cause problems in future (eg moving to Prepar3D at a later date)?

The files are the same for each platform Keith, the only difference is the location ESI sends them to during install and where the scenery.cfg or similar files are located, So in answer...an ESI-Pack created with the FSX version of ESI can still be used by the P3D enabled version of ESI to install into P3D at a later date yes. I hope that makes sense.

I am so sorry to see Darren and Vikki go out of business. I've bought pretty much all of their products as well as a number of other boxed products that they sold via their store. Their products are quite simply the very best that are available for FSX as far as I am concerned and I will miss their company very much.

Every time I had to contact them for support or just general questions, they have been brilliant, sorting me out in no time at all - even at weekends!

I wish you both the very best of luck with whatever you decide to do next!

Cheers,

Stu.

I'll second that.... superb people.  :Applause: