Sign in to follow this  
woodhick

Controlling Prop Pitch

This is really stupid to ask, but I assume the prop pitch is managed by computer in the RW aircraft?  Looked everywhere for pitch control, couldn't find a familiar lever anywhere.   The airplane flies fine without my doing any pitch adjustments, but I feel like I'm leaving something out.

I'm no expert on the Pilatus however the engine is not managed through a computer/FADEC. There are two levers: the power lever, and the fuel condition lever. The engine has 3 modes (all controlled through the fuel condition lever). 

Cut Off/Feather - when selected, the fuel is cut off and the prop immediately feathers.

Ground Idle - the engine maintains ~1000 RPM for ground operations. 

Flight Idle - the engine maintains ~1700 RPM for flight operations.

There's a bit of trickery however with this. I know a few pilots who select Ground Idle in the air, as when the pull the PL back there is a larger "disc" effect allowing for more drag during a descent. 

Anyways, like I said, I'm no expert. Just know that the prop never exceeds 1700 RPM and there is no way of controlling the RPM in the aircraft. 

I wondered about FADEC and had decided it was a FADEC light system (crude analogy but it gets me there).  Easy to rememberize then:  Cut off (duh), ground idle and flight idle.  I was doing OK then.  But my mind still feels like I'm missing something.  Thanks Avi8tor1

Just think of it being a large SR22. No computers, but everything is done mechanically. The red lever shuts off the engine, and the PL controls power. Pilatus/Cirrus have made it super easy that way...almost like controlling a jet. Just set your power and forget!