Sign in to follow this  
vonmar

Anyone using the icing gauge in the Duke Turbine V2?

In Avsim library icev10.zip ?
http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=icev10.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

One of the txt files in the zip mentions:

"This gauge is provided as a way of making winter flying in the sim (FS9 or FSX) a little more realistic.  It has been tested and works in both FSX and FS9.

Contrary to some popular belief, structural icing is simulated in both versions of the simulator.  However, icing rarely appears in cloud layers generated by either the real-world download of the standard sim or from most add-ons such as Active Sky.  When icing is placed in cloud layers, it is rarely more than "light" icing.  The ice accumulation rate in both sims is so slow that only "severe" structural icing is liable to cause any noticable change in the aerodynamics of your aircraft, especially if you are flying a larger one.

This is good, generally, because many FS aircraft do not have working de-icing systems because aircraft panel designers haven't understood the parameters for enabling de-icing in their airplanes, and often their structural de-ice switches don't work.  So, the wimpy ice simulation is offset by the ignorance about anti-icing, so all is well in the sim world.

If you want to understand the truth, and how this gauge can help you, read the 'Icing.txt' file in this package.  This guage does *not* affect how much or what kind of icing you will encounter -- it merely measures how much is on your airplane, and adds the simulation of the consequences "freezing rain" to the existing icing effects.

To install this gauge, create a folder under your sim's 'Gauges' folder called ICE, then copy the contents of this zip archive into it.  To install the gauge on a panel, do it like this:

gauge45=ICE!IceWarning,250,20,40,20

This is from the default FS9 172SP.  Substitute the appropriate number for the 45, and adjust the position and size to suit yours, of course.

I hope you enjoy this little product and the research that led to it, and happy flying whether sim or real!"

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

@vonmar post #226 concerning:

http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

Where should the little window of the ice gauge appear in the VC (?) or in an popup?

I installed it per instructions for the Turbine Duke v2, but it doesn´t appear anywhere.

Can you point me in the right direction?
Cheers Rainer

@vonmar post #226 concerning:

http://library.avsim...=root&Go=Search

Where should the little window of the ice gauge appear in the VC (?) or in an popup?

I installed it per instructions for the Turbine Duke v2, but it doesn´t appear anywhere.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers Rainer

I have just downloaded it .. not installed yet.

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

Split from the large topic about the Turbine Duke.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Split from the large topic about the Turbine Duke.

Best regards,

Thank you. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have not tried it yet, but if someone has a good place to put the gauge on the VC, that would be great.

I haven't looked into how devs make ice appear on the wings.. F1 does... and RealAir has rain on the windows... and Oil on the wings when you blow up the motors.. EagleSoft Citation X will warn you of ice on the wings (you couldnt see it for the VC, as the wings are waaayyy back there)... I'd like to see this added to more planes. If I knew how, I would do it for my fleet and share with all.

I am the creator of the gauge, many years ago.  Much has happened since then, including FSCaptain which includes a vastly superior icing simulation.  But the gauge in the forum is still useful, and free.

I haven't tested it in any airplanes for a long time, and I'm not going to, but I can suggest that possibly the reason the gauge isn't appearing in some VCs is that the resolution of the VC is much higher that the default 172, which the example is from.  You probably need to make the numbers bigger so that it's not so tiny you can't find it.  Also, another problem is that the mapping of virtual cockpits can be complex.  It can be hard to find a spot to put it.  (I know nothing about the Duke itself as I don't own it.)  Also be sure the 45 in 'gauge45' doesn't conflict with another gauge45 in the list.  Change the 45 as appropriate to your panel section.  That will cause a gauge to not appear.

gauge45=ICE!IceWarning,250,20,40,20

The 250,20 determines the position and the 40,20 determines the size.  The example is 40 pixels wide and 20 deep.  That could be way too small to see on some modern high-res VCs.  Try 100,50 and see if you see anything.   I sometimes substitute another VC gauge out in place of this one, just to see it and know I have a location that's mapped to a visual spot.  This is more of an art than a science, since we can't normally see how VC designers have mapped their cockpits.

Dutch

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

The 250,20 determines the position and the 40,20 determines the size. The example is 40 pixels wide and 20 deep.

Thank you very much for the information. I look forward to trying the gauge. If I can get around to it this week, I will post my numbers.. To be honest, I haven't even been flying the duke that much now...  I finally got the F1 B200 working right.

I have gotten a couple of questions about installing the gauge in the "default 172".  Apparently the README example gives numbers that are appropriate for the FS9 default 172, not the FSX one.  I don't think I even had FSX installed when I uploaded that little gauge here!

So if you want to see it on your FSX default 172 VC, the easiest thing to do is remove the N number plaque and put the ice gauge it its place.  Here's the revised [VCockpit01] section of panel.cfg for the FSX default 172:  Everything is unchanged from the out-of-the-box default except the last two lines, where I commented out the registration number plaque and put the ice gauge in the same place:

[VCockpit01]
size_mm=512,512
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$C172s_1
background_color=0,0,0

gauge00=Cessna!Nav_GPS_Annunciator,                      69,457, 20, 19
gauge01=Cessna!VOR1,                                    259,  1,140,140
gauge02=Cessna!Nav GPS Switch,                           45,456, 20, 21
gauge03=Cessna!ADF,                                     259,283,145,145
gauge04=Cessna172!EGT_Fuel_Flow,                        400,109,107,107
gauge05=Cessna172!Fuel,                                 400,  1,107,107
gauge06=Cessna182s!Oil_Press_Temp,                      405,325,107,107
gauge07=Cessna!OMI_Lights,                                0,456, 44, 24
gauge08=Cessna!Vacuum_Ampermeter,                       405,217,107,107
gauge09=Cessna!Annunciator,                               0,481, 99, 25
gauge10=Cessna172!Whiskey_Compass,                      100,456, 56, 39
gauge11=Cessna182s!VOR2,                                259,142,140,140
gauge12=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio,        0, 0, 258, 50
gauge13=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1,   0, 51,258, 95
gauge14=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2,   0,147,258, 95
gauge15=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF,          0,243,258, 66
gauge16=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,          0,310,258, 66
gauge17=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr,        0,377,258, 78
//gauge18=n_number_plaque!n_number_plaque,                188,468,89,25
gauge18=ICE!IceWarning,188,468,89,25

Charles "Dutch" Owen - Developer at Military Visualizations - currently working on the C310R and SR-71A project for MSFS.

I played with it last night to no avail... I sent off an email asking for the coordinates left of the IAS, and in line with the 200 mark. I think that would be a sweet spot, as we all have that area in view most of the time.

I got the OK from Dutch to make a pop up.. working on it now. RA advised this idea, and I agree. I'll re-size the graphics, and upload it to the avsim lib.

Stay tuned.

Ok, just uploaded the Pop Up version to the library. Give it some time to show. The Pop Up version can be used in any aircraft, not just the duke.

I've tested it with the duke, and it's a pretty cool little gauge. I place the pop up on my second monitor. If you only have one, you can resize it and move it out of the way.

And by the way.. all the de-icing equipment on the duke is functional!

Enjoy.

Ok, just uploaded the Pop Up version to the library. Give it some time to show. The Pop Up version can be used in any aircraft, not just the duke.

I've tested it with the duke, and it's a pretty cool little gauge. I place the pop up on my second monitor. If you only have one, you can resize it and move it out of the way.

And by the way.. all the de-icing equipment on the duke is functional!

Enjoy.

Thanks.  It would be cool to see ice effects on the wings...someday.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I woud love to integrate the gauge in the VC but could not find a place for it. Maybe as to do with way the VC is textures and arranged.

Could any of you integrate the guauge in the VC ?

I woud love to integrate the gauge in the VC but could not find a place for it. Maybe as to do with way the VC is textures and arranged.

Could any of you integrate the guauge in the VC ?

I asked RA, and the pop up I made was the best/easiest way... BUT... it could be added to the Duke annunciatior panel. That would require added the ice gauge to the RASDuke.cab and using one of the blank spots for the warning.

I may do that for myself, but explaining how to install that would prevent me from sharing that one. Sorry in advanced!