Sign in to follow this  
markmco

GTX 680 GTX 980 and DX9/10

I currently have the stock GTX680 that came with my Alienware Aurora R4.  It has worked well, but as I install more airports and buy more ORBX, it's getting choppy.

I'm also getting black scenery blocks that need to re-draw.  Not sure if that is VAS or a video/GPU pipeline issue.

I almost bought a GTX980 last night.  My questions;

I'm still running FSX in DX9.  GPUBoss is reporting the 980 as being much slower than my old 680 when running DX9.  FSX performance might actually drop with the card upgrade?

Another option would be to go DX10 in FSX.  I had stability problems with that long ago and just stuck with DX9.  Has DX10 become the prefered way to go?  Is it stable?

If I make the switch to DX10, the 970 or 980 would be the way to go.  But, in DX9 mode, my old GTX680 may perform just as well or better.

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

I just tried DX10 with the shader files from Avsim library, and wasn´t impressed.Too much shimmer at airports from a distance. Couldn´t find Steve´s DX10 Fixer on the net, not for sale anymore.  

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?282274-Steve-s-DX10-Scenery-Fixer-Where-to-buy

Remember, it´s a "fix" - not complete DX10, so there will be issues.

PS: Stupid me, just found 

The Official DX10 Scenery Fixer Support Forum

Thanks Avsim!

:rolleyes:

I currently have the stock GTX680 that came with my Alienware Aurora R4.  It has worked well, but as I install more airports and buy more ORBX, it's getting choppy.

I'm also getting black scenery blocks that need to re-draw.  Not sure if that is VAS or a video/GPU pipeline issue.

I almost bought a GTX980 last night.  My questions;

I'm still running FSX in DX9.  GPUBoss is reporting the 980 as being much slower than my old 680 when running DX9.  FSX performance might actually drop with the card upgrade?

Another option would be to go DX10 in FSX.  I had stability problems with that long ago and just stuck with DX9.  Has DX10 become the prefered way to go?  Is it stable?

If I make the switch to DX10, the 970 or 980 would be the way to go.  But, in DX9 mode, my old GTX680 may perform just as well or better.

Thanks for any opinions or advice!

In FSX:MS/FE  under the [DISPLAY] section heading, use the following, and your re-draws on your GTX 680 2GB will all but vanish...

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=120

A setting of 30/40 (stock) and 60, or 80 were for cards of the day of release, and for a couple years after.  A GTX 680 is allowed to open up with a setting of 120, and should be left there. You might find you don't need to now spend hundreds of dollars!  :Applause:

I just tried DX10 with the shader files from Avsim library, and wasn´t impressed.Too much shimmer at airports from a distance. Couldn´t find Steve´s DX10 Fixer on the net, not for sale anymore.  

http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?282274-Steve-s-DX10-Scenery-Fixer-Where-to-buy

Remember, it´s a "fix" - not complete DX10, so there will be issues.

PS: Stupid me, just found 

The Official DX10 Scenery Fixer Support Forum

Thanks Avsim!

:rolleyes:

Frosty, with the DX 10 Fixer v2.6 (the latest), running DX10 'preview', if set up for your system, will make DX10 as 'invisible' as running under DX9.  You will pick up all the features and performance of FSX(x)/DX10 and simply set 'n forget.

A setting of 30/40 (stock) and 60, or 80 were for cards of the day of release, and for a couple years after.  A GTX 680 is allowed to open up with a setting of 120, and should be left there. You might find you don't need to now spend hundreds of dollars! 

Will try that today.  Really appreciate the tip.

I can do without spending the extra money too.  Also wondered if some of my payware add-ons would make me re-register after swapping hardware?  That would be no fun at all.

Fly into KORL sometime and I'll buy you a virtual $100 hamburger  :lol:

Best Regards,

Mark

i7 10700KF 3.8gHz -125W air cooled, 500W PSU, 4070 Dual OC 12GB, 16GB 3200, 43" P4317Q

Redbird Alloy RD1, Honeycomb Alpha, Bravo, Stream Deck

In FSX:MS/FE  under the [DISPLAY] section heading, use the following, and your re-draws on your GTX 680 2GB will all but vanish...

A setting of 30/40 (stock) and 60, or 80 were for cards of the day of release, and for a couple years after.  A GTX 680 is allowed to open up with a setting of 120, and should be left there. You might find you don't need to now spend hundreds of dollars!  :Applause:

Frosty, with the DX 10 Fixer v2.6 (the latest), running DX10 'preview', if set up for your system, will make DX10 as 'invisible' as running under DX9.  You will pick up all the features and performance of FSX(x)/DX10 and simply set 'n forget.

Thanks, info much appreciated, bit of a novice WRT Steve´s Fix. Guess it´s not the same as the one in the library?

Thanks, info much appreciated, bit of a novice WRT Steve´s Fix. Guess it´s not the same as the one in the library?

"Oh man...not in any way!  There are so many sections to play with...you can customize DX10 to splitting hairs.  The one great new feature of v2.6 Frosty..is that you now can have the wave directions change as per how wind would change it..and not have it hard-baked if you didn't have Steve's Fixer Upper..lol...working for ya.  I'd have to say, that if someone was just buying FSX  MS/SE...the first add on purchase would be Steve's DX10 Fixer, and then running FSX forever in DX10 mode.  Just the water alone, is worth the price of the whole shebang."  B)  

Thanks Sesquashtoo, now just waiting for Steve to sell it again, sure hope my GTX 970 G1 can handle it, Credit Card no problemo!

:lol: