Sign in to follow this  
smakar

Kudos to DoveTail and Vendors

And yeah, continually changing exe version numbers are a PITA. With P3D it generally only changes quarterly or less, and we can re-sign our DLLs quickly for that, but FSX:SE is proving a little trickier.

A first hand example of the possibility that I raised.

We love that DTG breathed new life into FSX with SE but we're not offering our products as DLC for Valve and DTG to take margins off, it's just not a good business move for us, especially when they run 80% off snap-sales. We just don't want to compete with Steam for the same business.

What we have found though, is that Steam users know how to use Google and we're getting a bunch of incremental business anyway because regardless of whether DLC is on Steam, customers will look for 3rd party addons from wherever they are available.

And yeah, continually changing exe version numbers are a PITA. With P3D it generally only changes quarterly or less, and we can re-sign our DLLs quickly for that, but FSX:SE is proving a little trickier.

I am more interested in what DTG does next. That should get my interest, not FSX-redux.

and I absolutely love ORBX product and you will get my business for a long time. Any ETA on OpenLC USA ? (I had to try)

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

openLC NA is coming along nicely, should be out in first half of 2015; we spent a LOT of time improving openLC EU 1.1

Sales are decided by the developers i believe. If you don't want your product to be discounted, you won't get it discounted.

Steam takes at least 30% of the selling price as far as i know

That is good to know. I am visiting Dovetail's office the week after next so I'll give them some headspace to try and convince me. It's going to be a big ask to sell a $99 DLC to someone who paid for a $7 sim, lol!

Cheers,

John Venema

Orbx_Logo_Avatar.png

That is good to know. I am visiting Dovetail's office the week after next so I'll give them some headspace to try and convince me. It's going to be a big ask to sell a $99 DLC to someone who paid for a $7 sim, lol!

I think they're more than used to it, to be honest. There's something like $2500 worth of DLC for a $25 game with Train Sim..

Aamir Thacker

Pretty sure DLC is where Dovetail hope to make their money, obviously it's not coming from $7 FSX:SE.

Cheers, Rob.

Pretty sure DLC is where Dovetail hope to make their money, obviously it's not coming from $7 FSX:SE.

Cheers, Rob.

Im new here but it seems you want to drag DTG and FSX-SE through the coals every opportunity you get? So, where is LockHeed Martin P3D  making their money?

Im new here but it seems you want to drag DTG and FSX-SE through the coals every opportunity you get? So, where is LockHeed Martin P3D  making their money?

Certainly not with the 59$ Academic version. You should be grateful that this option even exist.

You should be grateful that this option even exist.

Why should I? Please explain.

Why should I? Please explain.

The bulk of their business in the flight simulator space is aim toward corporation who are buying professional license for training real pilots. We are really small fish in the whole scheme of things.

You need to realise that Rob is this forum's official evangelist for Prepar3d.

Rob Ainscough, on 15 Jan 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

Cheers, Rob.

Im new here but it seems you want to drag DTG and FSX-SE through the coals every opportunity you get? So, where is LockHeed Martin P3D making their money?

How is making this simple statement "drag[ging] DTG and FSX-SE through the coals"?  I think Rob is spot on in this comment, don't you?  It's not criticism, it's simply pointing out their business model.

Scott

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II

Look at "Program cost" in the column on the right.

LM probably makes money on P3D because of a "tax cut" they can get because they are making an product for general educational purpose.

Perhaps whilst he's there JV can offer his advice to Dovetail regarding customer service and support.

Anyone who has used TS2014/15 for 18 months or so, as I have, will know that it is truly pathetic.

Cheers,

Geoffrey Easton

We are really small fish in the whole scheme of things.

So why should I be grateful that the $59 option even exists if we are just small fish?

Im new here but it seems you want to drag DTG and FSX-SE through the coals every opportunity you get?

I do?  My comment is dragging Dovetail thru the coals?  I don't see any "wrong" in making money from DLC content ... the marketing strategy is fairly common and is used frequently and certainly isn't a "Bad" idea ... goes along the lines of "make the core product inexpensive, establish a user base, then sell DLC at a profit to that user base".

If you feel any of the information I've presented in regards to FSX:SE (which actually isn't much relative to others) is inaccurate I'm happy to discuss ... or is it that you'd rather not have those discussions?  People are asking some of the same questions about FSX:SE changes as they did about P3D version release ... my information is drawn from that process.

Anyway, as I stated early on, FSX:SE may bring new users, some will stay, some will go, some will evolve and expand their horizons.  I am curious as to what this new mystery "product" Dovetail are working on is all about.

Cheers, Rob.