Sign in to follow this  
An226

WXR-ASN-FSX Interface Questions

Hello,

Sometimes I just feel like doing a quick flight on my 777. When I turn the wxr radar on by selecting it on the EFIS panel, I noticed it was blank. I didnt think much of this for a while. But then about 30min ago, I thought to myself shouldnt this be working. I mean I loaded ASN to show real world weather and there is a considerable amount of icing and precipation in the area I live. I then started to to troubleshoot what may be causing the radar not to work. I verified that the controls were set properly then, reinstalled sim connect for ASN. Upon further examination I found that I have been making a mistake for a while of selecting the wrong weather- REAL WORLD IN FSX. I selected to use ASN wx to fix this. I then experimented by selecting a major weather thunderstorm wx. The radar show what I would consider approprate for a thunderstorm.

The unsual part is that after i selected thunderstorm, the flight after a few minutes was unsually smooth for any thunderstorm. I then look back at the wx settings and noticed that what I selected was no longer. All the weather is being cleared without me commanding to do so because clear skys was selected.

I then restarted FSN/ASN and loaded real world weather and selected ASN weather on the sim. Not even 2 min later i found that the simulator is clearing out the weather without me commanding it.

I have a few questions/comments

Should I rebuild fsx.cfg in attempt to clear this condition?

While I realize that ASN is required to be installed for the WXR to Function does it have to necessarly be running on the desktop?

Can I use the WXR with the FSX weather themes with the ASN closed so it is easier to program global weather?

Sometimes I dont want realworld wx I just want to fly around in different conditons to see how the planes handle.

What measures can I take to prevent fsx from changing weather without me commaning it?

Thanks,

Austin Johnson AN226

Sorry for asking stupid questions but, sometimes I can only do so much to troubleshoot from experience

ASN overrides all FSX weather settings including themes. To test the 777 WXR in storm conditions use the search function in ASN to find where storms are then position your 777 at a nearby airport and fly towards the storm. The ASN map will help you find it.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Make sure your ASN is connected to FSX (see status on lower edge of ASN window).

As Kevin stated, ASN overrides FSX weather which is a really good thing. You can also create custom weather in ASN by selecting WX Configuration, Weather Mode set to Manual. Create havoc and confirm your WXR lights up.

See also the HiFi forum for ASN support.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hello,

The unsual part is that after i selected thunderstorm, the flight after a few minutes was unsually smooth for any thunderstorm. I then look back at the wx settings and noticed that what I selected was no longer. All the weather is being cleared without me commanding to do so because clear skys was selected.

I then restarted FSN/ASN and loaded real world weather and selected ASN weather on the sim. Not even 2 min later i found that the simulator is clearing out the weather without me commanding it.

I have a few questions/comments

Should I rebuild fsx.cfg in attempt to clear this condition?

While I realize that ASN is required to be installed for the WXR to Function does it have to necessarly be running on the desktop?

Can I use the WXR with the FSX weather themes with the ASN closed so it is easier to program global weather?

Sometimes I dont want realworld wx I just want to fly around in different conditons to see how the planes handle.

What measures can I take to prevent fsx from changing weather without me commaning it?

Hi Austin,

Im by no means an expert, but if the weather is cleared even you are not commanding it, i quess something is wrong with the setup. Maybe something in FSUIPC (if you are using it?).

ASN needs to be running to make the WX radar to work, so it needs to be open. You can run it also networked, if you have 2nd PC. That would help to ease up the load from the FSX machine.

Ans as the other said already, you can create custom WX scenarios in ASN and experiment different conditions.

Cheers

Thomas Schmiedeke