Sign in to follow this  
geedub

Optimum nVidia CP settings P3D 2.4?

Hi all,

I've just done a 2.4 reinstall (last resort to solve a trees-in-water problem) with just ORBX Base/Vector/EU LC installed and it's looking good. Except for a bad tree shimmering issue. I've searched for recommended nVidia Control Panel settings in the hope of improving things. I do have some of Rob's earlier suggestions but I'm not getting anywhere so far I'm afraid.   

I need to add that I don't use NI. Also my system is: i-2700K at 4.6, GTX 780 OC, 8Gb RAM at 1600 odd Khz (auto), P8Z68 mobo, and a 24" 144Mhz  ASUS monitor. SSD's throughout. 

Any ideas gentlemen? Could you kindly share what's working for you? Or perhaps there are some accepted optimum settings these days? 

Regards,

Gareth

The shimmering can be solved by setting the DSR to 4x in the Nvidia control panel with MSAA 8x or 4x in P3D.

Thanks pinco that helped. I had tried various AA options before but not with 4x DSR.  I am still running at my monitor's native res though. Changing resolution after setting DSR doesn't seem to work properly with my 144Hz monitor. Gareth

I am just curious, you dont want to use ni?

4x SGSSAA works very good for me.

I got the impression it was not needed with 2.4 plus the nVidia CP. Also it was something less to tinker with. The CP doesn't have SGSSAA though, as I'm sure you know. My CP settings are 8x CSAA and 4x supersampling. I get great FPS and no blurries or stutters to speak of, on high settings. Still, I'm always open to suggestions as my initial post suggests. Ever since I installed the latest ORBX EU LC upgrade (Tues) I can't get the hard winter scenario with stripped trees where I first experienced the major shimmer problem but i'm not finished experimenting that's for sure.  Glad your setting works well for you. What other settings do you use in NI?

Cheers, Gareth   

SGSS AA provides the best image quality but at the cost of performance (especially with clouds).  FXAA is not as good but should remove shimmers and/or glitter.  I don't typically use NI as I don't have the need, but I also operate at 3840 x 2160 which tends to need less AA (still needed, but just not as much).  You didn't indicate what resolution you operate at?

As far as Orbx, make sure you have the latest Orbx libraries.  As far as the Orbx trees, they do have some outline issues ... probably best to ask Orbx folks about that in their web site.

LM have been working with nVidia for a proper P3D profile which should be available early this year and hopefully we'll get drivers that don't repeatedly break P3D functionality.  I'm hoping for better AA support and SLI support and maybe even a little performance boost. 

I set nothing in my nVidia Control Panel ... everything is either global or application controlled.

If I'm doing screen shots for someone else, then I'll do SGSS AA, but normal daily usage I don't operate with SGSS AA.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi there Rob. Due mainly to space limitations my ASUS VG248 monitor is a 24", natively 1920x1080. (My office-cum-den is a typically diminutive Spanish 3rd bedroom!)

So I expect this means I'll need NI? Looking at various conflicting ideas I found myself at a bit of an impasse re video settings so I'm really pleased you picked up on my post.

So, if I start by leaving the CP at default and set up NI again with SGSS AA I could be heading in the right direction? What about the other NI settings? Are they to be left at default? 

I played with DSR at 2.0.33% on my previous 60Hz monitor and was very impressed but found it interfered too much with the usability of needed productivity programmes and I went back to native res. Not sure if the new 144Hz screen (great on the eyes, I must say) of the new monitor was a factor? I will try it again e'er long. 

Good news of course if LM and nVidia really do get their corporate heads together, but in the meantime any further input from your good self will certainly be welcome!

Best,

Gareth

I hope you don't mind me butting in guys, but this comes up quite frequently and is very confusing. With P3D DX11 we need to set MSAA in the sim, then set the NVidia CP to SSAA, matching the MSAA setting. However, some aircraft models scale differently and require SGSSAA set in NI. DX10 and DX11 AA needs to be done on a per object basis before rendering the scene, which incorporates a complex set of transparency situations around objects that causes poor anti-aliasing with differing scales. In these cases we set MSAA in the sim and use NI to set SGSSAA (we set both to the same value, 2x, 4x, or 8x). There are other problems that can be improved with texture filtering, which calculates the projection geometry onto the facet, and so no matter what the screen res is used, poor texture filtering will be apparent. Filtering is important for reflective surfaces like water and wet runways.

This is what I recommend:

more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Pardon my ignorance, but which setting is the equivalent of SSAA in NVidia's CP? Is it the Antialiasing Transparency one?

Thanks,

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Pardon my ignorance, but which setting is the equivalent of SSAA in NVidia's CP? Is it the Antialiasing Transparency one?

Thanks,

Hans

Not possible in the CP. It's recommended to use the nVidia Inspector and there you can set it quite easy.

Spirit

Thanks, I was asking this because SteveW mentioned that the SSAA setting in NVidia's CP should match the P3D's MSAA setting.

Hans

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

Rob, Steve,

Many thanks for your in-depth help here. Your kindness is much appreciated.

Due to circumstances I am out of action for a few days but will be back here with some results at first opportunity. 

Cheers,