Sign in to follow this  
joejccva71

Do you guys use a "career-mode" type of addon?

Greetings everyone!

Just writing a quick post to ask around to see if you guys are using some sort of "career-mode" type of addon that enhances your flight sim experience, and if so which one are you using?

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

-Andrew Coste

I use FSCaptain, it can be a bit tricky to get it configured for your particular aircraft but the documentation is very good and everyone on their forums are very helpful if you get into problems. More importantly its also being actively worked on and improved and there have been some great updates recently and from the sound of things from the developers, there is much more to come. I would highly recommend it.

WAT1036.png

If don't need comfort ratings for flights and landings from virtual passengers and want a free, community-based solution: www.fseconomy.net

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Thanks guys.  Yea I looked at Air Hauler, FSCaptain and FSEconomy and I like all three ideas.  I've only tried FSPassengers and it got a little boring.

I like the idea of being immersed using FSCaptain, but also the idea of Air Hauler where you start off with a little money and have to work your way up doing flights and moving cargo around.

Is there a "career-mode" in FSCaptain kinda like Air Hauler?  Oh and I would also like for it to be able to work with Pro ATC X instead of using the default FSX ATC.

-Andrew Coste

Why not have a look at some of the Virtual Airlines out there? (I'm a very recent member of DVA), but there are many. The VAs cater to all levels, from the very casual to the very serious, so there's something out there for everybody. Most will ask that you fly at least one or two flights for them a month.

DVA, and many others, use something called VAFSS which lets you load cargo and passengers for the flights you do.  It keeps a record of each flight with a detailed cost and profit report.

Each VA has its own rules and a pay and promotion structure which is normally based on the number of hours you fly. 

Some VAs will only allow you to fly certain aircraft based on your rank. Others let you fly anything you want. Some will want you to fly on VATSIM or another online server. Many don't. 

In most cases you get awarded "points" for each flight based on your performance. Points may get deducted if  you fly over 250 knots under 10,000 feet for example or you may get extra points for a soft landing.

I'm having a lot of fun although it might not be for everyone.

Eagles may soar, but alley cats don't get sucked into jet engines.

You can get the best of both worlds (Career / VA) with Chilkoot Air - a VA within FSEconomy that offers a dispatch for every flight. 

I've tried just about every "career" type program but always end up with FSEconomy. While not perfect, it is the best IMO. 

Why not have a look at some of the Virtual Airlines out there? (I'm a very recent member of DVA), but there are many. The VAs cater to all levels, from the very casual to the very serious, so there's something out there for everybody. Most will ask that you fly at least one or two flights for them a month.

DVA, and many others, use something called VAFSS which lets you load cargo and passengers for the flights you do.  It keeps a record of each flight with a detailed cost and profit report.

Each VA has its own rules and a pay and promotion structure which is normally based on the number of hours you fly. 

Some VAs will only allow you to fly certain aircraft based on your rank. Others let you fly anything you want. Some will want you to fly on VATSIM or another online server. Many don't. 

In most cases you get awarded "points" for each flight based on your performance. Points may get deducted if  you fly over 250 knots under 10,000 feet for example or you may get extra points for a soft landing.

I'm having a lot of fun although it might not be for everyone.

I thought about trying a VA but the thing is I'm not very good yet.  I have to use autopilot for almost everything except the initial takeoff.  I even Autoland instead of manually bringing in my PMDG 777-200LR.  

I can fly Cessna's manually but anything more than that and I have to use the autopilot.

Do the VA's frown upon people that use autopilot?   Especially for landing?   

-Andrew Coste

I thought about trying a VA but the thing is I'm not very good yet.  I have to use autopilot for almost everything except the initial takeoff.  I even Autoland instead of manually bringing in my PMDG 777-200LR.  

The VA I'm in certainly don't care, http://flydva.com/. I don't know if it is frowned upon by the more hardcore VAs.

I autoland and use the autopilot all the time, where I can. I'm hopeless and cheerfully admit to being a casual player rather than a hardcore simmer. I've just bought the iFly 737 (PMDG products won't work on P3D), and I'm trying to get my head around that at the moment.

You can't be bad if you can get the PMDG 777 off the ground and land it in one piece. It's all black magic to me.  I don't think I'd even be able to start it up let alone fly it from A to B...  

I'm having great fun doing long trips in my Captainsim 777 though, which has all the complexity my old brain can handle for now. The best thing about it is that it doesn't immediately crash into the ground because I forgot to flip a switch. :)  

Most VAs are more than happy to accept less experienced players and many offer training and loads of advice. Quite a few will also teach you the ins and outs of VATSIM.

As another poster has already mentioned. FSEconomy is also a lot of fun, but it's mainly aimed at smaller aircraft, which you buy with  your earnings from the jobs you fly, or rent from another player.

A good VA to get started with is Worldwide Virtual which basically has no rules. You can fly what you want for whom you like when you like. They have hundreds of flights for Airlines all over the world. You can even use their ACARS thingy to record flights you've made up yourself.

Anyway hope this helps.

Eagles may soar, but alley cats don't get sucked into jet engines.

I really like the persistent-world in FSEconomy, where aircraft stay where you leave them. Owning one feels "real."

Wait so if you park your 737 NGX at Gate 110 in LAX, and then log out, it will be there in that exact position the next time you boot up FSX and FSE?  Even if it's a week later?

-Andrew Coste

FSCaptain fan for live here.  Great program.

Yea I watched your video review on Youtube on the FSCaptain and it was brilliant.  Loved it.  You were seriously convincing me to buy it but I'm trying the demo first for a few days to see if I like it.

-Andrew Coste

I use Ideal Flight. I pretend am a GA pilot flying business,vacationers,emergency and any other situation my mind can come up with.IF can choose where I fly,how long, what time of day,create mission,score my flying and lots of other features are in IF.I can make adjustments to how I like to fly and that is one of the best features. Here's the link:http://www.codelegend.com/idealflight/default.htm

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

Wait so if you park your 737 NGX at Gate 110 in LAX, and then log out, it will be there in that exact position the next time you boot up FSX and FSE?  Even if it's a week later?

-Andrew Coste

Yep. Leave it there forever if you want. It will have a unique reg# as well. You can also allow people to rent that aircraft. Wherever they park it is where it will stay. You can even pay people to bring it back. Even better, take a bigger cut of the renters earnings the further they fly it from the aircraft's home base.

Kep in mind you have to earn enough money (renting and doing jobs) to buy an aircraft first.

Fun stuff. Try it. It's FREE.

Yep. Leave it there forever if you want. It will have a unique reg# as well. You can also allow people to rent that aircraft. Wherever they park it is where it will stay. You can even pay people to bring it back. Even better, take a bigger cut of the renters earnings the further they fly it from the aircraft's home base.

Kep in mind you have to earn enough money (renting and doing jobs) to buy an aircraft first.

Fun stuff. Try it. It's FREE.

Yea awesome. :)

I'm waiting on one of the mods to respond to me asking for a Gameworld account from the forums.  Any idea how long those take?    Thanks again!

I use Ideal Flight. I pretend am a GA pilot flying business,vacationers,emergency and any other situation my mind can come up with.IF can choose where I fly,how long, what time of day,create mission,score my flying and lots of other features are in IF.I can make adjustments to how I like to fly and that is one of the best features. Here's the link:http://www.codelegend.com/idealflight/default.htm

I also looked at IF earlier.  So many good career-mode addons it's tough to choose.  Going to try out FSE  bit and see how like it.

-Andrew Coste