Sign in to follow this  
leftseatguy

Geographical awareness during flight

Guys, I have a question which I hope someone may be able to answer:

During the course of flying the PMDG 737 NGX along flight planned routes I often don't really have much idea as to where I am in relation to towns and cities on or near my route. I noticed this particularly on a recent flight over the Philippines and into Taiwan where I crossed a number of islands on the way. It would have been nice to have had some idea what they were called, and perhaps the names of some of the towns.

Is there some software available which would provided an online map which I could refer to during the flight?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards,

Dennis Hickman

FeelThere Wilco has a program called MAP! but I don't know if it works with just their planes or any plane.  It provides a map gauge that will show you exactly where you are.   If you fly online, I just turn on VatSPY which shows my plane position and all other players planes around me in real time (well, almost real time).   FS Dream Team also maps an add-on that shows places of interest on screen as you are flying and names them.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

While running FSX, you can start up Google Earth and toggle on the map overlay mode, which will enable you to identify not just the towns and cities that you overfly, but also the major highways and streets.

Best regards from Tony, at the helm of the flying desk.

Hi,

If you type "fsx online map" on a search engine like google, you will find some interesting links to softwares and modules which allow to follow your position to a map.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

I use PFPX for flight plannning, and while enroute PFPX provides place names for the navaids; for example, I just over flew Churchill Canada and checking wikipedia I discover that it's the polar bear capital of the world.... I often use wikipedia when I'm over new territory and it's something I find interesting during long trips like KSFO-EGLL.  Also, FSX map will give you the navaid name and often that is enough to locate the place.

Dan Downs KCRP

I am using Plan G. It synchronize with P3D/FSX and I can see where my plane is at all time. I can also see all the VOR, Airport and runway information. There is also anothe programm call FSCommander that is pretty darn good. They are payware but worth the $$$.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Like Dan, I refer to Wikipedia throughout my flights. It gives, of course, so much more information than just place names.

I have learnt so much about our world this way, and Wikipedia tempts me to surf all over about related topics.

A happy bunny!

Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

The best way for me to see my current position on a map is with the iPhone/iPad app FSFollow. It connects to FSX and shows your position and altitude as well as the flown track. In addition, you can follow other aircraft flying with FSX and using this app. It's even possible to transfer simple screen shots. You can find the manual here: http://www.positiongames.com/PositionGames.Com/Free_PC_Client_files/FSXFollow%20Manual.pdf

The cost (USD 2.99) is more than adequate and the app is still being updated regularly.

Felix

http://www.fsxtracker.com/download

It's free, bug free, works like a charm, has online map and terrain modes.

All you have to do is create an account, run the client and load a flightplan into FSX

It also automatically logs all you flights / times / distances / fuel burn etc.

Many virtual airlines employ tracking software that will display your position, along with other active fights, on a map on their website. 

Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones

I use OpusFSI that can open a moving map with both AI aircrafts around you and the weather, a drop down box to select what weather you want to see. Turbulence, cloud cover and so on..

Including airport info.

All in one. Weather, cameras that also shakes in turbulence and more, and now latest added is the moving map with AI and weather. Google + some more. Buttkicker support, TrackIR support.

You can zoom in all the way to the airport for taxi if you like.

Have look at their site.

http://www.opussoftware.co.uk/opusfsi.htm

Best of all is that it have a very small footprint in memory, no crazy huge GUI like ASN.

/Per W

Per W Sweden

I use PFPX for flight planning so I always make brief notes, before exporting and printing the flight plan, on the geographical area my route will be taking me over (including preferable airfields for enroute diversion as well as frequencies of major navaids to confirm position checks enroute) . Sometimes I even add them to the flight plan remarks in PFPX with the waypoints on my route as a tag on which area I'm cruising over.

Most of the suggestions above, while very good, assume that you don't know where you are now, and would like to find out (I use planG when I am lost). However, if you are willling to put a little more effort into your planning, you might find you get more pleasure out of your flight. It is not for everyone, but if you plan your flight (even very loosely) as you would a cross country VFR flight, then you will have a plan that includes your landmarks. For example, my plan might include, "I expect to cross Lough Ura at 10:21 with the railway on the left and the road in front. If the railway is on my right, then I am too far north".

Even if you are on fixed routes, you can map then on sites like simroutes [ http://www.simroutes.com/fb2/showplans.aspx ] and zoom in to find the visual landmarks you can use if your instruments fail. 

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Guys,

A huge thank you to all who have taken the time to reply to my question. You have given me lots of great ideas and I am going to take a bit of time to discover which of them will be the most appropriate to provide the information that I am looking for. Basically I think it boils down to the ability to show the following information when required:

The names of the VORs (e.g. Compton for CPT, Southampton for SAM etc)

Progress along the flight planned route in terms of the current position of the aircraft superimposed over the route line on a map

Airspace boundaries (TMAs, CTZs  etc)

Danger areas, and areas of high terrain etc.

All of this in line with real life procedures and practices as applied to jet airliners such the 737-800 which I normally fly.

Once again,  many thanks for your suggestions, I am sure there has got to be a best solution to all of this.

Cheers,

Dennis Hickman