Sign in to follow this  
mazelda

Serial ata 6.0gb connectors

Hi

I wonder if some can offer some advice before I go ahead with this upgrade .Currently I have an old hard drive that needs upgrading So I would like to get some new stuff probably 1 ssd and a hybrid drive but I am trying to figure out what the differences are with some of the internal connectors on my mobo,which is a ROG Rampage 4 Extreme.

Inside i have  4 6gb connectors however one pair is called intel x79 serial ata 6.0gb which are set to AHCI by default, the other pair  are ASmedia serial ata 6.0gb but there is a note on the ASmedia one  which says " the sata6g_E1/E2(red) connectors are for data drives only ATAPI device is not supported"

If I install a new ssd and a hybrid drive into the ATAPI (ASmedia drive) connections will they work? or do they need to go in the other 6.0 gb (intelx79 AHCI)socket?

I'm thinking long term and would like to have possibly up to 3 ssd and maybe 2 hybrid drives which would mean using all 4 sockets,as my casing has plenty of room and I have a big psu  so running it all would not be a problem

but if I can only use 2 off the connectors it may change my choices of ssd and hybrid size.

I also have 4 3gb connectors but will use them for slower stuff,dvd drive etc

Thanks

Pete Little

" the sata6g_E1/E2(red) connectors are for data drives only ATAPI device is not supported"

That means you can only conect data drives there (like HDDs or SSDs) but no CD/ROM readers for example.

If I install a new ssd and a hybrid drive into the ATAPI (ASmedia drive) connections will they work?

Yes, it will work. 

Use the "Intel x79 serial ata 6.0gb" ports for SATA III 6GB/s SSD's 

Any extra  SSD's, even if they're SATA III 6GB/s, plug them to the INTEL SATA II 3GB/s ports and avoid the Asmedia ports for SSDs as those ports don't support TRIM, and are actually slower than Intel's 3GB/s ports

Obviously, if you have a cd-dvd-blueray reader, that will need to go to an Intel 3GB/s port (won't work on a Asmedia port, and wasting a 6GB/s port for those makes no sense)

Mech and hybrid drives, plug them to Intel 3GB/s ports if there are any left, otherwise use Asmedia ports (doesn't really matter performance wise)

many thanks Dario

I can go ahead with the update.

One quick question is there such a thing on the market that will allow you to connect more than one ssd drive to a 6gb port on the motherboard ie some sort of cable that has a single connection at one end to go on the mobo and multiple connections on the other end to attach to one or more drives

I've looked on line but can't find anything when I search for sata 3 cables

thanks again

Pete

Pete Little

Hi Pete,

NO -- single device per port, serial dedicated line ... this is a good thing for performance.

As for the Asmedia Trim support, there is Trim support, but you need to make sure you have the correct drivers.  Also make sure the Asus board is updated with latest EFI/BIOS.

Cheers, Rob.