Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Anyway to force FSX to give up some VAS?

I've been playing in a really nice scenery which is fairly heavy on VAS.  When I fly away from it, I'd have thought that it would, eventually, free up the VAS for it but it seems to camp out on the memory, holding on to it.  Any action I can take to get it to release some of it back?

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Gregg, which aircraft?  I have found on some of my very heavy VAS hogs (ConcordeX, PMDG) that on a longish flight I can save the situation and restart FSX to reset the VAS back to a high level.  It is a pain for sure but it takes about 2 minutes and everything goes back to normal with the flight.  On other aircraft like the Aerosoft Airbus there is no such save function so you are out of luck.  Other than this I don't know of any way to get back VAS other than to start off with consuming less of it.....lower sliders and reduce LOD.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Aircraft really isn't germane to the issue, though, I fly GA more than anything.  I'd like to fly the area with any airplane.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."

Do you use SceneryConfigEditor to turn off all scenery you don't require ?  I would be interested in what GA plane and which airports cause and OOM.  I can fly ConcordeX from UK2000 EGLL to FSDT KJFK and not get the OOM with my setup so I think this should be possible with almost any GA plane.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Do you use SceneryConfigEditor to turn off all scenery you don't require ? I would be interested in what GA plane and which airports cause and OOM. I can fly ConcordeX from UK2000 EGLL to FSDT KJFK and not get the OOM with my setup so I think this should be possible with almost any GA plane.

It's Flight1 Xtreme Cities SouthCentral.  There are about 10 cities and they are beautiful (the screenshots on their product page don't do them justice).  It's only the Dallas area where I run into problems.  I am running FTX Global/Vector and it may be too much (or something in my settings I haven't uncovered.)  The rest are a joy to fly around...Galveston, Corpus Christi, Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Baton Rouge, Austin, San Antonio and a couple more...just wow.  I'm flying the Turbine Duke, Flight1 Mustang, Carenado Malibu Mirage.

I'll get SceneryConfigEditor and try it out. 

Gregg Seipp

I am convinced FTX Global/Vector has bugs in it that eat up VAS. Also OpenLC when added, no matter where you fly their textures are being searched. I am thinking about going back to UTX USA/Canada/Europe

I have disabled all scenery except my departure and arrival airports, and I still cannot complete some flights without getting oom errors when flying the pmdg 777.

A quick way is to minimize to the taskbar for a few seconds then expand again, but the best by far is to save and quit FSX, then restart. Quick and easy. 

I usually save flights every 20 minutes or so anyway, simply by leaning across to the keyboard, pressing ; then 1 1 then Enter. Saving takes 3 seconds and I know that my current flight is always saved as '11'. I don't get OOMs anymore now that I switched to DX 10, but its a habit I still have. On longer haul airline flights I used to save and exit at the top of climb, then save and exit at the top of my descent. These days I just remember to save. 

The easiest way to free some VAS in FSX is to temporarily switch from windowed mode to full screen and back or vice-versa. There's no need to restart FSX.

Felix

I use CleanMem, it cleans up unused memory as often as you want and I dont see any side effects from it in my sim.

Cheers!

Maarten

I am convinced FTX Global/Vector has bugs in it that eat up VAS. Also OpenLC when added, no matter where you fly their textures are being searched. I am thinking about going back to UTX USA/Canada/Europe

I have disabled all scenery except my departure and arrival airports, and I still cannot complete some flights without getting oom errors when flying the pmdg 777.

Me to. There's a video on youtube that very nicely shows FTX Vector enormous use of VAS. 

Anyways, the save and quit option is of course the most efficient one. But it doesn't play well with VATSIM or other online flying, unfortunately. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

I use CleanMem, it cleans up unused memory as often as you want and I dont see any side effects from it in my sim.

Does it actually free up VAS though?

ZORAN

I have Global, Vector and OpenLC and have never had an OOM. All scenery except for photoscenery gets loaded into FSX no matter where you are located.

I took a shot at disabling some scenery OpenLC Europe and two of my large airports (I don't have many installed).  Didn't seem to make any difference at all.  Framerates and VAS usage seemed to be the same.  I'll have to do some more testing.

Gregg Seipp

I took a shot at disabling some scenery OpenLC Europe and two of my large airports (I don't have many installed).  Didn't seem to make any difference at all.  Framerates and VAS usage seemed to be the same.  I'll have to do some more testing.

No, try Vector.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth